PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Eagles Pre-Season Game Thread

Funny how the activity in this thread picks up when Tebow comes in.

Anyway, my big takeaway from the 1st half is how Brady looked very comfortable in throwing to Amendola, Thompkins, and Dobson. Very promising.

50 pages and counting for our first pre-season game....I love me some patsfans posters!!

Fist team...looking good, the rest are as expected...

All kidding aside, the backup QB position is not looking good. Yes, Cassell had what looked to be a bad pre-season but that was because the play calling was designed to test him under adversity. Mallett is simply not making plays (e.g. Boyce) that are open to be made. Not good. Tebow is inaccurate as hell and takes forever to wind up. Then again, it's game one and there's time ofr coaching up. Peace out, bro.

The interesting thing about Thompkins is he could play X/Y/Z, right? They lined him up in the slot a good amount tonight. He has just enough size and speed for the X as well. That's a lot of versatility for a WR.

Halftime thoughts, some nice catches by Dobson, but a bad drop as well. Thompkins is our #2 receiver. Boyce almost makes a nice 1 handed TD catch. Sudfeld looking like Gronk on his one catch, almost made a great catch on Tebow's only good throw. Our D is gonna cause us to lose games. NO pass rush whatsoever. Collins looked like a rookie on a simple non contested sack attempt. Also, some nice throws from Mallett, but also some bad throws. Praying like crazy Brady can stay healthy till age 40.

Too bad Tebow isn't eligible for the P.S. I like the intangibles he brings to the team and how he can be used to help us prep for the pass/option offenses.

I wonder if they could hire him as a consultant or asst. coach and let him practice with the team during the week. He's got the work ethic to improve, in three or four years....Who knows?

Let's put Tebow on the PUP.

With all the talk about Thompkins and Dobson early, it made Boyce seem nonexistent. But if Mallett had put that ball on the money in his second series, Boyce would've had a nice TD.

Mallett can come back in anytime. The "emergency QB rule" was removed in '11.

Yes, but with the NFL's new concussion rules it may be a long while between when a qb (or other player) goes out and when they come back.

AND THAT, my friends, IMO is the answer to the question:

Will BB keep 3 QBs?

Just based on that (Tebow having to come in and mallett having to talk to the trainer-docs for a while); BB MUST keep 3 QBs. 2 of whatever names besides TB.

Tebow lost his move TE job to Sudfeld too. What phony position can we make up to keep him now, cause he's so dreamy?

Speaking of Sudfeld, maybe we can find some really tall receivers to help Timmy out until he gets loosened up.

All kidding aside, the backup QB position is not looking good. Yes, Cassell had what looked to be a bad pre-season but that was because the play calling was designed to test him under adversity. Mallett is simply not making plays (e.g. Boyce) that are open to be made. Not good. Tebow is inaccurate as hell and takes forever to wind up. Then again, it's game one and there's time ofr coaching up. Peace out, bro.
Mallett does one of two things; he tries to throw the ball too hard or he tries to finesse the ball softly. He needs to find a middle ground.

All kidding aside, the backup QB position is not looking good. Yes, Cassell had what looked to be a bad pre-season but that was because the play calling was designed to test him under advertise. Mallett is simply not making plays (e.g. Boyce) that are open to be made. Not good. Tebow is inaccurate as hell and takes forever to wind up. Then again, it's game one and there's time ofr coaching up. Peace out, bro.

On the positive side, if we come away from this game with the back up QB position being the biggest concern, that ain't a bad thing.

That said, I don't think the Pats should carry more than two QBs. And I wonder if the second QB is on the roster.

Mallett does one of two things; he tries to throw the ball too hard or he tries to finesse the ball softly. He needs to find a middle ground.

Bledsoe without the accuracy
I'm Trademarking this.

Yes, but with the NFL's new concussion rules it may be a long while between when a qb (or other player) goes out and when they come back.

AND THAT, my friends, IMO is the answer to the question:

Will BB keep 3 QBs?

Just based on that (Tebow having to come in and mallett having to talk to the trainer-docs for a while); BB MUST keep 3 QBs. 2 of whatever names besides TB.

Was that a concussion Mallett suffered? Seemed to me he had the breath knocked out of him.

On the positive side, if we come away from this game with the back up QB position being the biggest concern, that ain't a bad thing.

That said, I don't think the Pats should carry more than two QBs. And I wonder if the second QB is on the roster.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm excited to start the backup QB spot over next year with a deep QB class.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back