PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Chargers game thread - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So I'm watching these other NFL games but in all reality I can't wait for the game against the Chargers to start! Who else is hyped? It's the first home game of the season. The Chargers players haven't polluted the air waves with as much 'smack talk' as usual, but their fans have come over to this board to make up for it. I think the Pats will start this game very physical, play with emotional intensity, and eventually just pull away and out-execute the visiting team. Let's get ready for a great game of football! Go Pats!!

I think it will be a very close game and will come down to who has the ball last.

So I'm watching these other NFL games but in all reality I can't wait for the game against the Chargers to start! Who else is hyped? It's the first home game of the season. The Chargers players haven't polluted the air waves with as much 'smack talk' as usual, but their fans have come over to this board to make up for it. I think the Pats will start this game very physical, play with emotional intensity, and eventually just pull away and out-execute the visiting team. Let's get ready for a great game of football! Go Pats!!

More than anything else, I also want to see "emotional intensity" on both sides of the ball. Let's hope we don't come out flat. Let's go Pats!!!!

More than anything else, I also want to see "emotional intensity" on both sides of the ball. Let's hope we don't come out flat. Let's go Pats!!!!

Agreed, I want to see the Pats coming out of the game with passion and intensity. Let's kick the Bolts teeth in right off the bat!

Oh and btw the Chargers fans who think that Rivers is already better than the likes of Brady, Manning, and Brees are laughable. I'd place Rivers as a top 5 or 6 QB but he's done nothing of note yet. He is not in the 'elite' top echelon of QBs and the Chargers fans who keep talking about him like he's already there, well they just sound like huge homers to me. Maybe some of you agree with the Chargers fans but I just don't see it.

Our QB is a ******* machine!

Hope our 3rd down success continues...also somebody needs to level Gates...no way we can cover him.

Defense needs a huge game today. We know the offense will be fine, but can the D have a repeat performance on third down again this week?

BTW with all this talk of matchups and focus on the QBs, the WRs, CBs, and even TEs, there has been very little talk about the Chargers crappy Special Teams. Just last week the Chargers gave up a 103 yard kick return for a TD. I think Edelman has a real chance to make an impact on this game with special teams.

If you give Brady a short field all day to work with, he's gonna put up a LOT of points on these Chargers. Just one more advantage in the Pats favor imo plus we are very tough to beat at home. The Pats are now 9-0 in season openers at Gillette. Just a little factoid to ponder.

I assume you mean on both Patriots' sides of the ball. As for the Chargers, I hope they experience an intensity brownout or even blackout all day long.

And I hope their special teams are extra, extra special today. I'd like to see another opposing ST coach to get the can. :D

I really dislike Albert Breer ... Anywho .... Guyton, inactive ... more Fletcher and Spikes ...:rocker:

Agreed, I want to see the Pats coming out of the game with passion and intensity. Let's kick the Bolts teeth in right off the bat!

Oh and btw the Chargers fans who think that Rivers is already better than the likes of Brady, Manning, and Brees are laughable. I'd place Rivers as a top 5 or 6 QB but he's done nothing of note yet. He is not in the 'elite' top echelon of QBs and the Chargers fans who keep talking about him like he's already there, well they just sound like huge homers to me. Maybe some of you agree with the Chargers fans but I just don't see it.

How can you not include Rivers in that elite group? Do you realize the kind of stats he has? Last season he passed up Steve Young for highest QB rating all time. He's had the 1st or 2nd best stats for the past 3 years.

Last year he was the 2nd best QB after Brady, without Vincent Jackson and he had Gates for only 6 games. He's the only QB in NFL history to have 3 straight seasons of 4,000+ yards and over a 100 QB rating. He's never thrown more than 2 interceptions in a game, which is an NFL record for how many games he's played.

The only reason why you don't think Rivers is worthy of being included in that elite group is because he doesn't have a ring. By your logic, Dan Marino doesn't belong in that conversation either. There are 53 men on a roster that are responsible for getting their team to the super bowl.

You can't put the blame all on Rivers shoulders for the Chargers problems. The fact that Norv Turner is our head coach clearly has something to do with it as well.

Today's inactives are Mallett, Price, Vereen, Guyton, Wendell, Koppen and Wright.

per Twitter.

How can you not include Rivers in that elite group? Do you realize the kind of stats he has? Last season he passed up Steve Young for highest QB rating all time. He's had the 1st or 2nd best stats for the past 3 years.

(snip)

You can't put the blame all on Rivers shoulders for the Chargers problems. The fact that Norv Turner is our head coach clearly has something to do with it as well.
Rivers is a stats monster, but I rarely get the sense with Rivers that he's going to pull off the impossible during a game. You don't feel like with 2:00 to go and up 10 points, that Rivers is going to pull off the shocking upset.

He heads the offense, and the team's woes are not all his fault. But I certainly wouldn't take him over a healthy Brady or Manning, and probably not over a Brees or Rodgers.

Last edited:
Today's inactives are Mallett, Price, Vereen, Guyton, Wendell, Koppen and Wright.

per Twitter.

When Vereen and Price get healthy, things are going to get interesting. :eek:

Guyton out, Spikes in . . . not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:
I assume you mean on both Patriots' sides of the ball. As for the Chargers, I hope they experience an intensity brownout or even blackout all day long.

And I hope their special teams are extra, extra special today. I'd like to see another opposing ST coach to get the can. :D

Yes both sides of the ball for the Pats. Spikes is active. It'll be interesting to see how much he plays. With Guyton out and the Chargers using aLot of crossing routes, we're going to need good coverage from our 'backers.

When Vereen and Price get healthy, things are going to get interesting. :eek:

Guyton out, Spikes in . . . not sure what to make of that.

Spike likely to start inside. Guyton got burnt several times last week.

Could somebody send me a pm to watch the game?

In Miami and cant get the game on TV. Would appreciate a link to watch the game online.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes