The Official Kessel's Pick Thread.

time to revive this thread ... :)

as of 1/4/2011

New Jersey - 22 pts

NY Islanders - 30 pts

Edmonton - 31 pts

Toronto - 32 pts

Phil Kessel the gift that keeps on giving ... :cool::cool::cool:

You guys destroyed Toronto in this trade. We are still reeling and Burkie is slowly losing faith in Kessel

You guys destroyed Toronto in this trade. We are still reeling and Burkie is slowly losing faith in Kessel

A GREAT FINAL WEEKEND
... going into the final weekend the Bruins owned the 11th pick in the draft. But ... alas ... :p ....St. Louis and Minnesota win their final games and they have 87 and 86 points ... Toronto has 85 points. ;););)

We now own the 9th pick ... 2 spots earlier but it's top 9 now which is great. We could grab the Swiss kid Sven Bartschi ... a future sniper. Another Tyler ... Tyler Biggs a big power RW. We are also great position with a trade down to grab 17 year old Finnish player Joel Armia and get back a pick lost in the Toronto deal. Kid is a year or two away but that's fine considering the talent we already have on the team.

Last edited:
message deleted

Last edited:
Is that good or bad DH ... ;)

That I deleted it? Good. I had suffered a brain fart where I recommended drafting somebody who was in last year's draft.

I guess this trade is going to seesaw back and forth for some time... but as a Leafs fan 12 games into the 2011-2012 season, all I got to say is...

T-H-A-N-K
Y-O-U
B-O-S-T-O-N!!!!

Kessel: #1 in NHL points, #1 in NHL goals, #1 in NHL +/-, #4 in NHL assists

I'm sure the trade will be debated for some time, and no winner can be crowned until all the players involved retire, but man, Kessel all of a sudden looks great!

Sure 20pts in 12 games isn't a big sample size... However, in Kessel's last 40 games (dating back to the end of last season), he has 49pts (100 pts when projected over 82 games). Happy to finally see some consistency.

One thing we can all put to bed was that Kaberle for Joe Colborne + a 1st and 2nd rd pick... it was absolute robbery on Brian Burkes part.

How the trade looks:

Kaberle on the 'Canes "helped" win a cup - don't know if he really helped do anything :S

Joe Colborne - Leads the AHL in points
1st rd pk = Tyler Biggs
2nd rd pk = traded to Colorado for John-Michael Liles (8pts in 12 games - more than Kabs currently has)

I'm happy for Kessel. Never wished the guy ill will when he was traded and knew he was going to be a good player. Even with his fantastic start I don't regret the trade. Sequin and Hamilton will be good in this league if not all stars. Despite the poor start this team has a lot of talent in the minors to stay competitive for many years.

I guess this trade is going to seesaw back and forth for some time... but as a Leafs fan 12 games into the 2011-2012 season, all I got to say is...

T-H-A-N-K
Y-O-U
B-O-S-T-O-N!!!!

Kessel: #1 in NHL points, #1 in NHL goals, #1 in NHL +/-, #4 in NHL assists

I'm sure the trade will be debated for some time, and no winner can be crowned until all the players involved retire, but man, Kessel all of a sudden looks great!

Sure 20pts in 12 games isn't a big sample size... However, in Kessel's last 40 games (dating back to the end of last season), he has 49pts (100 pts when projected over 82 games). Happy to finally see some consistency.

One thing we can all put to bed was that Kaberle for Joe Colborne + a 1st and 2nd rd pick... it was absolute robbery on Brian Burkes part.

How the trade looks:

Kaberle on the 'Canes "helped" win a cup - don't know if he really helped do anything :S

Joe Colborne - Leads the AHL in points
1st rd pk = Tyler Biggs
2nd rd pk = traded to Colorado for John-Michael Liles (8pts in 12 games - more than Kabs currently has)

Let's not forget the other two highly rated prospects that the Bruins have as a result of the Kessel trade. I doubt there's a GM that would give up Seguin for Kessel right now straight up -- Seguin has been phenomenal on a team that's been slow to get started. Kessel will get better. So will Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton.

I thought at the time that we gave up too much for Kaberle, but the fact is that the Bruins won the Cup. I don't care if we traded our next two drafts for Kaberle, the trade worked. Colborne is now a minor league player five years after being drafted...if he hasn't made it by now, is he really going to be an impact player in the NHL? He couldn't crack the Bruins logjam at center, but to hear that he couldn't make the Leafs??? I'd argue that that's not a good sign. No doubt that Toronto got great value for Kaberle. But the Bruins also got what they wanted out of the trade.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back