PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The offical Patriots vs Saints preseason game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when somebody said they wouldn't trade Mallett for a first round pick... lol

Jeez, Mallett was bad, but not that bad. He had some good plays. Mostly bad, but some good ones.

His biggest problem may be he is a Bledsoe style of QB and I don't know if that style of QB works in the NFL today and, like the real Bledsoe, that style of play does not work in the Pats' offense.

Apparently that's what Zo called him tonight on the radio broadcast...Bledsoe. Supposedly he also said that after one bad series Josh was trying to talk to him and he blew him off. If true, that won't fly.

I think some guys can be taught easier than others because they embrace it. Others are conditioned to rely on their god given talent early on. But even if they can be taught, guys tend to revert to form under pressure, real or perceived, because what you're trying to teach them now never came to them naturally. You are who you are. Mallett is a tall guy with a laser rocket arm.

I have to agree, it just feels wrong to have somebody wear 80 out there.

I re-iterate. The Patriots should retire that number, specifically in honor of Troy Brown and not that other Irving guy or whoever.

I'm feeling very nervous about my Mallett position because Gresch agrees with me.

Apparently that's what Zo called him tonight on the radio broadcast...Bledsoe. Supposedly he also said that after one bad series Josh was trying to talk to him and he blew him off. If true, that won't fly.

I hope it's not true for his sake, because that young man needs to take all the coaching he can get in these extremely rare gametime situations. I must say, the only thing that was missing from his Jamarcus Russel rendition tonight was the sizurp.

Was at the game and I think that is the best description of Mallet I've heard so far from what I saw. Although I will say he does seem to be more athletic moving in the pocket better than Bledsoe ever did (despite having terrible awareness to where the pressure is coming from).

Pretty funny about the low scoring, as much as the networks have been plugging this game.
On our side I got this from the game.

Lofton and Martez Wilson looked good on defense, Hicks batted a pass at the line, Marquis Johnson intercepted; Cadet looked pretty good but I still think he doesn't have it. Tanner and Higgins did fine with what little bit they were in the game. Morgan looked great until he missed an easy pass.

the 3rd string defense gave up a bunch of rushing yards up to Shane Vereen(60-something), Drew was off in his only 2 drives, but he does that. Hes on in the 1st,2nd or 3rd, you never can tell. Ivory couldn't run, and the backup O-Line is not good.

Did Cam Jordan dress tonight? If so, how did he look?

Ok. Maybe Fletcher can play this year with his foot facing 180 degrees in the other direction.
He could back pedal faster.

Yeah, he has all the physical tools, he needs to settle down and not try to make a play where all is lost.
Hes tall, hes got a strong arm, hes got a strong arm and hes tall, and hes just plain strong too.:D

How ironic is this, our weakness is offensive line and our strength on D could be pass rush.

Did Cam Jordan dress tonight? If so, how did he look?

Yeah, Cam Jordan is a very good player on DL. Brady was flushed from the pocket with DE Junior Galette at his ankles, then ran right pursued by Cam Jordan. I think Cam is going to be part of the 1st defense. Its the reason they don't play him much in both games for us. Hes better than smith

Woodley.
Josh Bequette.
Juliet Edelman.

Is this honestly for real? Do these guys not follow the team they broadcast for every season?

They've been inflicted with Menino-itis.

The O line is the problem. No where to run and no time to throw...I repeat...Mankins, Vollmer and Waters...please come back soon!!!
I didn't see or hear the game, but from what i'm reading the O-line is a major problem. Can't call any slow developing plays with a sieve for an O-line. I just hope Waters is holding out till the end of training camp to come back, and that vollmer and makins can get healthy soon.

I didn't see or hear the game, but from what i'm reading the O-line is a major problem. Can't call any slow developing plays with a sieve for an O-line. I just hope Waters is holding out till the end of training camp to come back, and that vollmer and makins can get healthy soon.

You might want to hope that Light changes his mind, while you're at it.

Just a few observations from tonight, I won't talk about the OL ineptitude

Defense looked like the strength of the team...decent pass rush with Chandler Jones playing like a beast. What stood out was his wingspan and his lateral agility. Looked like a young Roosevelt Colvin out there. Very refreshing to see.

Gronk still doesn't have the explosiveness he did last year thanks to Bernard Pollard

Brandon Lloyd "physically" looks like Joey Galloway and Ochostinko:eek: The hype about this guy in camp was crazy, but nothing stood out tonight He doesn't have the physicality of a Fitzgerald or an Andre johnson nor the grace of a Moss or Rice.....I am not surprised, but there was so much hype about this guy in camp and how he was going to outdo Moss of 07 and how the Pats offense was gonna match the 07 one.....lots of pressure for this guy to perform

Ridley and Vereen were awesome...thank goodness for them

Edelman looked like he played like his career was on the line

Gost was Gost as usual...kicking his usual touchbacks and PATs and missing FGs that were slight to moderate reach kicks for NFL kickers

Last edited:

I think some guys can be taught easier than others because they embrace it. Others are conditioned to rely on their god given talent early on. But even if they can be taught, guys tend to revert to form under pressure, real or perceived, because what you're trying to teach them now never came to them naturally. You are who you are. Mallett is a tall guy with a laser rocket arm.

Mallett is NOT Bledsoe
Mallett can actually throw a screen pass. Remember Bledsoe?
That said, I don't think Mallett can hit anything close to 50% on passes that aren't screens. Scatterarm. And unlike The Statue, he looks really fidgity in the pocket.

I'm giving Mallett his "bad game" like one of Brady's stinkers before I throw in the towel, but I'm far from optimistic.

Brandon Lloyd "physically" looks like Joey Galloway and Ochostinko:eek: The hype about this guy in camp was crazy, but nothing stood out tonight He doesn't have the physicality of a Fitzgerald or an Andre johnson nor the grace of a Moss or Rice.....I am not surprised, but there was so much hype about this guy in camp and how he was going to outdo Moss of 07 and how the Pats offense was gonna match the 07 one.....lots of pressure for this guy to perform

Yeah, he's a veteran who has been around the league... You should know what he looks like already.

You might want to hope that Light changes his mind, while you're at it.

It's one game. Why don't we give Solder a chance. He did okay last season.

It's one game. Why don't we give Solder a chance. He did okay last season.

1.) Light's better than Solder and I want Brady protected by the best

2.) Vollmer's out with a problem that seems to be chronic

Light's retired, but that doesn't mean I can't wish he wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes