PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The offense is a catastrophe

I'm not sure why people are moronic enough to believe extrapolating stats over a full season is any way shape or form comparable to evaluating personnel.

I did not say anything along the lines of "we only scored 20 points! Brady didn't have 300 yards!!". THAT would make your point actually make sense but all of our main weapons are injury prone and/or inconsistent.

But you've extrapolated the injurys and the rookie skills for the season. Enough where you're claiming what will happen in the playoffs.

I'm sure that s what people mean.:cool:

I am really grateful that I became a fan in the late 70's....

No doubt the O is going thru growing pains and unfortunate injuries but to call it a catastrophe right after the first game is, in my humble opinion, a bit catastrophic. ;)

And you forget that the Bills DC is Mike Pettine, who was with the Jets between 2009 and 2012 - and so well versed with our O.

I wonder what you will term our O after Thursday's game, when the O might probably find it tougher given the additional injuries.

If I were you, I would stop reading Pessimistic Pete's threads/comments and just chill out for some time.

I promise you that the above will not be a catastrophe. :D

You know what I think the problem is? This team has been so successful for so long, that the average fan always looks at the game as "How legendary could we be?" instead of actually enjoying a football game. No one wants to see how the young kids respond to this adversity? Would that be too interesting for this spoiled fanbase? Is the only way you can enjoy a football season to have the Patriots completely dominate from start to finish?

Remember in 2001 when they were constant underdogs? Man, that year sucked. The injuries are putting us behind the 8-ball to start things offensively for sure, and some rookies and unknowns are going to have to step up to make things better. It's going to be grueling, it's going to have missteps, but that's part of the fun.

I want to see this defense rise to the challenge. I want to see Brady make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I want to see a young kid stick it in everyone's face. Because at the end of the day, when I'm writing my sports fan memoirs, I'm not going to write out a list of statistical accomplishments or a simple tally of wins and championships. I'm going to look back on a games like Super Bowl 36 and say, "Man, NO ONE thought we could beat the Rams except us, and we did it!" The rest of you can say crap like, "I told you all we'd never win." Whatever that means to you, bless your heart.

Couldn't agree more. I think Belichick decided to reset this offense for the rest of Brady's career, thus the decision to replace Welker with Amendola and go young at WR. They knew they were going to have to wait on Gronkowski but never saw the problems with Hernandez coming and weren't prepared to deal with it. because of this and a rash of injures they have serious questions facing them now, but if the young Wr's do turn into good players and they can find a good TE in next year's draft then they are actually well set across most of the units going forward. that doesn't mean they don't have holes to fill but overall they should be in very good shape going forward. They clearly need to develop on both sides of the ball but I believe in this coaching staff and team and think they will be able to do so. I am looking forward to seeing how they play and develop and expect many close games, but i still see them winning their division and playing in january, how well they do then will depend upon their injury situation then and how much they develop.

Unfortunately Patriot fans are spoiled beyond belief, and view a close game as abject failure.

I wonder what would happen if you split the Patriots fanbase into pre-fantasy and post-fantasy eras. . . .

Why start this thread? Either you don't understand football or your just looking to piss people off. It's one or the other.

tonyto3690's take on winning the lottery:

- you had no business winning that lottery
- the taxes are going to be killer
- you've blown your luck for the next lottery
- lottery winners always end up unhappy anyhow

Why start this thread? Either you don't understand football or your just looking to piss people off. It's one or the other.

350x700px-LL-b9cab202_28609793.jpeg

We had no business winning that game and you know it.

The bills were missing their two best secondary players and have a mediocre defense to begin with.

We have one reliable target and he's a career #2 wr who has never been able to stay healthy.

Maybe catastrophe is an exaggeration but the playoffs bit is completely true as is the fact Brady has practically no help on offense.

No business winning the game due to Bills injuries? We were missing our all star TE, trotted out an injured Amendola, and depending on a complete rookie for WR3 in Thompkins.

On defense we had a sickly Spikes.

I think we were hampered more than the Bills.

AmendOla already missing a game
Vereen is out for at least four weeks
Ridley is in the dog house
Offensive line looked overmatched
Dobson Boyce and Thompkins haven't shown anything real

Thankfully the defense finally looks GOOD but Brady is once again asked to carry the team. I said this two months ago and got chewed out for it but it still looks like the same story. Brady manages to carry us to the playoffs but then the burden is too much and we lose in the playoffs.

Pats lose to the broncos 20-27

GTFO

10char

In other NFL news today, tonyto3690 was signed to the New England Practice Squad after being waived from the Football Forum........

Unfortunately Patriot fans are spoiled beyond belief, and view a close game as abject failure.

You're going to generalize based on ONE poster who started a thread on a day he ran out of his Prozac?

Probably has something to do with the fact that all of New England runs around shrieking like teenage girls in a slasher movie when the team only wins by two points in a divisional road opener.

Boston fans are ridiculous. They can't do anything but complain. The Pats gutted out a tough, ugly game in a hostile, desperate environment Sunday, brought home a victory, and all we do is whine about it -- we're the ultimate sore winners.

2007 ruined this fan base. If we're not winning by 50 everyone panics, with fans conveniently forgetting that this team's championship years were littered with wonderfully ugly wins just like the one we just watched, and very few blowouts.

It's always something. If it's not the pass rush, then it's the secondary, or the running game... People forget that pre-Corey Dillon we were lining up Mike Cloud as our great hope on offense.

In the salary cap era there are always going to be soft spots on the roster and moreover there are always going to be injuries, for every team. The key is winning when things aren't going well and being a tough, well-coached team. I wish people would just stop freaking out and do the only positive thing we can do as fans, and just support the team (and cheer for them when they play hard, which they definitely did Sunday). Does anyone think whining about the "catastrophe" offense (which would have been a pretty ho-hum 30-point effort if not for some absurd turnovers) makes the team want to play harder for us? How about showing some appreciation? All you whining fans, who did you take a forearm to the head for this past Sunday? Because guys like Wilfork and Vellano and Solder and Vereen and Amendola took that and more for you. And this is how you repay them?

Look! Another guy who sees a thread started by ONE person who escaped from the Galloping Senility Ward and thus, generalizes that "Boston fans are ridiculous" and that "that all of New England runs around shrieking like teenage girls in a slasher movie when the team only wins by two points in a divisional road opener."

Dude - ONE guy wrote the OP. If you paid attention, you may notice the entire rest of the thread consists of 20+ posters telling him he forgot his meds.

It's pretty ridiculous how intolerant the collective 'membership' of this message board is of deservedly harsh criticism of the team.

We had no business winning that game and you know it.

The bills were missing their two best secondary players and have a mediocre defense to begin with.

We have one reliable target and he's a career #2 wr who has never been able to stay healthy.

Maybe catastrophe is an exaggeration but the playoffs bit is completely true as is the fact Brady has practically no help on offense.

????? Bills had no business being in the game. If Ridley doesnt drop the ball for Searcy they dont get a TD, EJ led them on 2 decent drives and they shut down one of the most explosive players *Spiller* in the league to what 50 total yards? Buff has one of the best D-lines in football on the downlow Mario looked like Mario and Dareus looked like a 3rd overall pick.

Broncos game isnt until what December easy there buddy theres like 12 games prior to that lol.

Take it from a Tebow fan. A win is a win and don't feel guilty about how it happened. ;)

Pats are fine, quit worrying. Unless the Jets trade Geno Smith, Billal Powell, and Santonio Holmes away for Colin Kaepernick, Calvin Johnson, and Adrian Peterson before Thursday's game, I think the Patriots will be fine this week.

AmendOla already missing a game
Vereen is out for at least four weeks
Ridley is in the dog house
Offensive line looked overmatched
Dobson Boyce and Thompkins haven't shown anything real

Thankfully the defense finally looks GOOD but Brady is once again asked to carry the team. I said this two months ago and got chewed out for it but it still looks like the same story. Brady manages to carry us to the playoffs but then the burden is too much and we lose in the playoffs.

Pats lose to the broncos 20-27
Nothing like a little Over Reaction

No... but the win doesn't erase the misfortunes we've recently had on offense. I mean, we won the Chiefs game week one in 2008.

And went on to win 11 with the back-up QB. Some catastrophe, any other team would have been picking top five. And for the other offensive catastrophes the Patriots have scored more points over the last 6 years than any team in history, and have both the highest scoring offense and 3rd highest scoring offense in NFL history during that run. It iis nothing short of amazing how spoiled many Patriot fans have become, if it isn't a 40 point blow-out it is a disaster.

Great job moving this to PS, it is exactly where it belongs.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back