PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Loss That Still Baffles Me To This Day:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALSO. Here’s another bizarre one people forget about:

This one sticks in my mind as I was there or should I say that I was one of the ones who stayed there for that wonderful... err... crappy ending.

Perspective is everything.Your 16 year old self felt a team that was out of the playoffs the year before was a contender that just laid an egg. My adult barely survived 34 years of the Sullivans, Kiam and Otis ass had ample reason to be fearful. I completely understand with what you have come of age during it's hard to conceive of where we were at as fans back then. As an old fart I take a different view than most of my peers on your spoiled rotten Boston sports fan generation, I'm just glad I lived long enough to enjoy the ride right along with you. ;)

If someone who was 16 in 2003 is spoiled as a Pats fan, I don't know what word could possibly describe someone who was 16 in 2011. My idea of a "nightmare season" is 2009.

If someone who was 16 in 2003 is spoiled as a Pats fan, I don't know what word could possibly describe someone who was 16 in 2011. My idea of a "nightmare season" is 2009.

As Pats fans we are as spoiled as it gets but I was really referencing Boston sports fans as a whole since '01. ;)

I remember sitting in a Buffalo Wild Wings watching this nightmare

This game was partly responsible for me getting the nfl ticket

What a great run. But I guess you weren’t really aware of the first Super Bowl. Probably the optimum birth year for a Boston sports fan would be like 1990...

Worst game of Gronks career. Got it out of the way early because he then followed it up with 3TDs against Pittsburgh.

And I distinctly remembered some people here calling for him to be cut.
I remember posters calling for gronk to be cut immediately.

2010 divisional round to the Jetes...

To me ,,I can accept defeat ,,any defeat
But one defeat we had no right was the 2007 Super Bowl.
Immortality,,,,,none will ever ever get a chance to go 19-0.
That defeat will last always in my mind till the day I die.
I forgot the others.

I was at that game. Woke up with a sore throat that morning, felt like crap already and then watched that unravel right before my eyes.

The run they went on after that was pretty incredible though, 8-0 and dominating many of the top contenders.

I was also at that game. It was the second time I went out to Cleveland to see the Pats (2000 was the other) and they lost both times.

The crazy part of that season was the fact that the Pats only lost two regular season games that year, at New Jersey and at Cleveland, and then lost to the Jets in the playoffs after beating them 45-3 a few weeks earlier. That was a bad year, a very bad year.

It's funny because I took the opposite approach. Perhaps because I was an optimistic 16 year old but I felt we had a real contender that just laid an egg, and couldn't wait until the 2nd game. As the year progressed and they got better and better I felt great about the rematch. 31-0 later and the poetic justice was perfect.

So you were only 16 then? That helps explain why you don't have Bill Russel on your Mt Rushmore, where he belongs.

2010 divisional round to the Jetes...
Jesus did that suck.

One of my closest friends is a Jets fan and after that debacle I heard it for months. Texting my pictures of Rex, Sanchize, Revis and feet daily. It was awful

All losses bother me until the Pats win the SB that season. Then I couldn't care less about those losses.

I was also at that game. It was the second time I went out to Cleveland to see the Pats (2000 was the other) and they lost both times.

The crazy part of that season was the fact that the Pats only lost two regular season games that year, at New Jersey and at Cleveland, and then lost to the Jets in the playoffs after beating them 45-3 a few weeks earlier. That was a bad year, a very bad year.

The playoff loss to nyj is the most baffling one to me as getting beat down by a poor team in the regular season is nothing really new.

That playoff game though , while the jets were a tough matchup that year, we did dismantle them, Chicago, and Pittsburgh- 3 of the final 4 teams that year. Our whole team including brady laid an egg. JE is the only one who really showed any kind of life with that punt return and the offense still only got a fg from it. It was a bizarre showing

You know I had done such a great job of completely eliminating that Jet playoff game from my collective memory, and now you've brought it back to me.

I find the pain of the Pats being part of the ONE significant Jet victory in the last 50 yrs is still excruciating.....now that YOU brought it back to me. You are a mean dude SBL!!! ; )
Ryan got them all fired up about Dennis Byrd and the Pats were flat, and layed an egg.

I am surprised Belichick didn't see it coming, but I guess he figured the team was on a roll and he didn't want to rock the boat and mess with their confidence...he always talks up every opponent, but he didn't have them sharp and ready.

Success just came too easy in that regular season for us. Is it our fault we were too good?

That's football.

What a great run. But I guess you weren’t really aware of the first Super Bowl. Probably the optimum birth year for a Boston sports fan would be like 1990...
I would say maybe my brother's, 1957.

He got to catch and appreciate the Celtics 60's run, the Bruins' heyday, the Impossible Dream and the rise of the Patriots.

He was very little, but at least he was around for Ted Williams, and Squaw Valley (Cleary brothers).

Jesus did that suck.

One of my closest friends is a Jets fan and after that debacle I heard it for months. Texting my pictures of Rex, Sanchize, Revis and feet daily. It was awful
Seems you got the last laugh.

The most bizzare loss by far to me is that 2015 Dolphins finale. Didn't even try to win a crucial game for homefield vs a crappy team. People talk about injuries, but the coaching staff gave away homefield and it cost us a title.

BUUUUUUUUUT then we won 2 outta 3 and went to 3 straight Super Bowls so they more than redeemed themselves. Was oh so sweet crushing the Dolphins in the finale the next season.

I would say maybe my brother's, 1957.

He got to catch and appreciate the Celtics 60's run, the Bruins' heyday, the Impossible Dream and the rise of the Patriots.

He was very little, but at least he was around for Ted Williams, and Squaw Valley (Cleary brothers).
That’s an awesome stretch for sure. 12 titles and counting though, covering all four major sports? Tough to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes