PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Loss That Still Baffles Me To This Day:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

The day the lowly Browns beat us with Colt McCoy and Peyton Hillis.

I almost forget this game even happened. This game was straight out of the twilight zone. :confused:

Worst game of Gronks career. Got it out of the way early because he then followed it up with 3TDs against Pittsburgh.

And I distinctly remembered some people here calling for him to be cut.

I was at that game. Woke up with a sore throat that morning, felt like crap already and then watched that unravel right before my eyes.

The run they went on after that was pretty incredible though, 8-0 and dominating many of the top contenders.

Not much to be confused about imo. We have a trainwreck loss most years, often to a garbage team.

My head spins more when I think about these losses:
  • 2012 vs ARI (thanks to Joey007 for reminding me) - Gronk didn't hold, but that missed kick...
  • 2012 at BAL - no ****ing way that kick was good, but Torrey Smith deserved to win that night
  • 2012 at SEA - Tom really botched this one. Rare.
  • 2013 at NYJ - one of those games lost on a penalty that had never before been called in the history of the NFL
  • 2013 at CAR - Kuechly mugged Gronk!
  • 2015 at DEN, regular season - **** you Harper
  • 2015 at DEN, postseason - **** you Ghost
  • 2018 at MIA - do I even need to say it? I'm just glad we can laugh about it now that it had no effect on the season's outcome.
I dunno. Maybe it's just that I remove myself emotionally earlier in the game during blowout losses.

Last edited:
That Cleveland loss baffles me far less than the many bizarre visits to...

It's just a good example of the FACT that in the NFL the talent gap between the best teams and the worst is minimal. Every guy on the field is a GREAT football player. So we shouldn't be surprised when a so called "bad" team beats a good one.

This game was lost because of all the usual reasons. A fumble gives them the ball deep in our own territory. Another fumble takes a sure 7 off the board. We failed to control the run game. A bunch of drops IIRC. Cleveland played very well. THEY made all the key plays, and the Pats played like sh!t. They have one or two of these types of games every year. BB loves them to the extent that they are such great teaching tools.

Also remember that 2010 was supposed to be a down year as the Pats were in the middle of a significant roster rebuild after that very disappointing 2009 season. But that 2010 draft was special and the "rebuild" was short lived. They had a decent 2010 season and made the superbowl the next year with one of the worst defenses in the history of the league. :eek:

It's just a good example of the FACT that in the NFL the talent gap between the best teams and the worst is minimal. Every guy on the field is a GREAT football player. So we shouldn't be surprised when a so called "bad" team beats a good one.

This game was lost because of all the usual reasons. A fumble gives them the ball deep in our own territory. Another fumble takes a sure 7 off the board. We failed to control the run game. A bunch of drops IIRC. Cleveland played very well. THEY made all the key plays, and the Pats played like sh!t. They have one or two of these types of games every year. BB loves them to the extent that they are such great teaching tools.

Also remember that 2010 was supposed to be a down year as the Pats were in the middle of a significant roster rebuild after that very disappointing 2009 season. But that 2010 draft was special and the "rebuild" was short lived. They had a decent 2010 season and made the superbowl the next year with one of the worst defenses in the history of the league. :eek:

decent describes it conservatively despite the loss to NYJ. One of the best offenses ever and won 14 games.

The Mangina Browns played that “amoeba” defense where everyone on the line is standing around and you can’t tell who is rushing or dropping into coverage. The Pats have used this many times over the years, including this past Super Bowl.

It was a Trap!:D

For regular season losses I can't recall any that came close to the 'WTF did I just watch-edness' of the season opening 31-0 drubbing Buffalo handed the Pats in '03. Tom Brady went 14/28/143 with 4 int's and a rating of 22.5.

Last edited:
decent describes it conservatively despite the loss to NYJ. One of the best offenses ever and won 14 games.
You know I had done such a great job of completely eliminating that Jet playoff game from my collective memory, and now you've brought it back to me.

I find the pain of the Pats being part of the ONE significant Jet victory in the last 50 yrs is still excruciating.....now that YOU brought it back to me. You are a mean dude SBL!!! ; )

I know it is part of life but every loss hurts :(

Anyone care to explain the loss to the Titans last fall???

tenor.gif

So many putrid losses last year. Just coyote ugly, hideous, vomit-inducing losses.

...and they STILL win the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Team just laid an egg. Bad in all phases. We see this from them a few times a year (Especially in Miami). Fortunately, these mind numbing regular season losses rarely impact the ultimate outcome. For example, I thought they were going nowhere after the Pittsburgh loss. I won't let that happen again. I don't care if they are 10-6 limping into the postseason next year. I won't bet against them.

That game made me feel like a Colts fan watching Blount destroy them. Hillis was on drugs, had to be lol. Like all the drugs... whatever Bane from batman was on etc.

As to the Titans game. It was pure garbage from the refs. They were allowed to hold and get to the edge and we were not. If just one of the runs they bounced to the edge on obvious holds on Trey were called it could have changed the entire game.

2018 Patriots lost five games to losing teams and went 8-0 against teams that made the playoffs.

But thank god it doesn't always work out how we think it's going to, it's what makes the game interesting even when your team is favored in every match up for 18 years.

Not much to be confused about imo. We have a trainwreck loss most years, often to a garbage team.

My head spins more when I think about these losses:
  • 2012 at BAL - no ****ing way that kick was good, but Torrey Smith deserved to win that night
  • 2013 at NYJ - one of those games lost on a penalty that had never before been called in the history of the NFL
  • 2013 at CAR - Kuechly mugged Gronk!
  • 2015 at DEN, regular season - **** you Harper
  • 2015 at DEN, postseason - **** you Ghost
  • 2018 at MIA - do I even need to say it? I'm just glad we can laugh about it now that it had no effect on the season's outcome.
I dunno. Maybe it's just that I remove myself emotionally earlier in the game during blowout losses.
Compare the teams you mentioned above to the Browns though.

Most of those teams were at least average, and were close losses. The Browns are the Browns. And they got absolutely whipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes