PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Key To 2021 and 2022 Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
How terrible was the current draft?

1) a contributor who is a likely future starter at S.
2) 2 LB's, one of which is contributing now. We have hope for one starter and one contributer.
3) 2 TE's who are not ready at all to be in passing game. One can block.
4) A starting OG.
5) A tackle who is at least a solid Game Day backup.
I think this is a good balanced review.

It can be added that these rookies had no training camp, COVID protocols, etc., so the rookies are way behind, but on the flip side of the coin, we had 8 players defer so there are more opportunities for rookies to gain playing time. Being forced into playing time is a great teacher, even if it stunts our performance in 2020.

I tend to be more optimistic. Dugger looks really good, could be more than a starter. Jennings is playing a lot, let's hope Uche is right behind him. I love Keene who not only saw the field but also had more snaps than Izzo. Let's hope Asiasi is good too. BB saying both TEs could be activated means they are coming along. Obviously Onwenu is a find, and Herron will only get smarter and stronger. I think we had a great draft. If we can only duplicate that success in 2021 with 2 WR, a DE and a LB. Maybe one ro two of the practice squad guys will be starting in 2021?

No idea about QB - I leave that to the experts - I assume BB is targeting somebody with all of his cap room. Jimmy G is not a UFA until 2023 so I assume BB is targeting someone else.

Need a qb first and foremost, where that will come I dunno unless cam or stidham suprises.

need a 2010 Or 2003 like draft. Holes at lb , wr, te need to be addressed and they have to be able to contribute immediately . Depth at dt wouldnt hurt, I actually like cowart and jury is out on beau but we need more depth there if butler walks.

neither are easy, especially the first one but can be done

I actually have high hopes for the 2020 draft.

while the kid from division 2 is a major project and the UCLA tight end is a totem pole, the others could develop into contributors.

Jennings - comes from Alabama, knows most of our defense, and would be further along except for the virus affected offseason.

Keene - caught a pass on Sunday and for being so far behind and previously injured, did not do that bad.

onwesu- has been a true find thus far. Imagine if we could just plug him into left guard and let him dominate!

herron- yes he got injured, but prior to that he did not look out of place on the field. Needs to get pro strong.

potentially 4 or 5 contributors. Not a bad haul!

Priorities, have to improve on the draft, been quite abysmal the last 7 years. I’ve been saying it fir years. Not gonna say all misses, but the misses they’ve had, ended this dynasty.

When you ignore the TE position when you know your team is devoid of a good TE, especially when 2018-19 drafts were stacked with good TEs. When you ignore WRs during THREE great WR drafts (2018-19-20), and the ONLY WR you draft is the least explosive. When you do those 2 things, you wind up with a bad offense.

So they finally draft TWO TEs, in a weaker TE draft. These guys might turn out to be good players. But it’ll be tough to tell, because they don’t get used.

That’s the other change needed. The whole concept of the draft, the type of players they select (need EXPLOSIVE OFFENSIVE WEAPONS), and the utilization of those rookies. They don’t have the talent to redshirt rookies anymore. They need to play and the OC/DC needs to utilize their talents.

Bottom line, if they have a top 10 pick, it needs to be used on the next franchise QB of the Pats. I don’t care how they do it, trade up, stay at their spot, but a QB must be the pick. Then every other pick from the 2nd round down needs to be an explosive offensive weapons. This team needs speed and explosiveness on offense, period. They cannot compete without it. I want 3 receivers and the most gifted, fastest TE available.

while the kid from division 2 is a major project and the UCLA tight end is a totem pole, the others could develop into contributors.

Jennings - comes from Alabama, knows most of our defense, and would be further along except for the virus affected offseason.

Keene - caught a pass on Sunday and for being so far behind and previously injured, did not do that bad.

onwesu- has been a true find thus far. Imagine if we could just plug him into left guard and let him dominate!

herron- yes he got injured, but prior to that he did not look out of place on the field. Needs to get pro strong.

Very solid draft. But once again, WR was ignored in an incredibly deep and talented WR draft. When they traded down from 23, Brandon Aiyuk was still on the board (looks really good for SF), Tee Higgins was still on the board (looks REALLY good for Cincy), Chase Claypool was on the board (looks GREAT for Pitt). Amongst several other WRs still on the board at that time.

But let’s not even look at the 1st round. You can look at the whole draft, and see wasted opportunities to add explosive talent to the offense. It wasn’t done.

I for one, feel Dugger will be a good player. But man, would Aiyuk, Higgins or Claypool look great in a Pats uniform right now when we have one of the worst offenses in football. Imagine having one of them, and the 2 TEs, and actually UTILIZING them !

OK, we are a long shot for the playoffs, although I think that this team could win the last 4 if they are hot at the end of the season.
=================
HOW TO BUILD FOR 2021 and 2022
Is the answer really 2-4 additional 2021 draft choices?

SOME THOUGHTS
1) Adding the normal set of rookies plus a couple of more isn't the answer.
2) The defense is a top 10 defense. A couple of weeks ago folks argued that it was top 5. We have a fine secondary, a mix of youth and veterans. We need linebackers (no surprise). The DL needs a NT, These are NOT a reason to cut all the vets a rebuild. The defense needs FEWER additions that normal for a top defense.
3) We entered the 2020 offseason needing a QB, 3 WR's and 2 TE's. Arguably NONE of these needs have been met. Is the answer REALLY to expect to draft SIX top players? Really? Are we that good at drafting these positions?

HOW BEST TO GET PLAYERS FOR THE OFFENSE
A) Tank and hope that we can draft a top QB, using 2 or 3 of our top picks. That is certainly a possibility. The addition of 3 draft choices by getting rid of our strength could help this happen. Of course, we will simply be creating holes. I suppose, we could trade Thuney for a 3rd.
B) We COULD try to meet the need by trading draft picks for players who would be expected to contribute for 2-3 years. Is it possible that we could trade a 2nd and a 3rd for better players than Belichick would draft in 2021. By 2021, these players would have some experience in the offense, rather than being raw rookies.
I don't think anyone thinks the draft is the sole way to improve. FA should produce some improvements next year. BB et al seem better at projecting experienced talent as opposed to collegiate experience.

I think the Dugger is also a contributor,

A very good point was made in one of the posts. We do not have the luxury of red shirting our rookies anymore. This worked when we were loaded and could ease them in but that’s not where this team is anymore. Get the kids playing and let’s see what we got.

Ultimately we have to draft better. Hitting on a trade or FA wouldn't hurt either.

We've invested as many early picks at DB in the past few years than we have at DL and others in the past decade. We have to spread those picks around and hit.

I wouldn't trade Thuney for anything less than a 2nd. We get a 3rd if he walks and signs so I'd rather keep him. Same for Gilly. If it's not multiple picks (two seconds, a first and 3rd ...) I'm keeping him and trying to make it work. They're not the problems and we'd only be creating holes to fill ourselves.

I'm also trading into the 2nd this year. I want to every year. I see too much talent in that 33-45 spot to not fight like hell to get up there. Use our second and a comp. Two 3rds for another second. We have the picks in the mid and late rounds to make up for it.

I'll be putting out my very small, initial PTP Big Board later this week fwiw.
The part in bold is something that I've wanted the team to do for a couple of years now. We've been fortunate the last two years to be awarded a couple of thirds in the comp system. The picks average around 99-103. These picks are like found money and trading them to move up in the second, assuming you can find a travel partner, gives the team access to more high end talent.

The part in bold is something that I've wanted the team to do for a couple of years now. We've been fortunate the last two years to be awarded a couple of thirds in the comp system. The picks average around 99-103. These picks are like found money and trading them to move up in the second, assuming you can find a travel partner, gives the team access to more high end talent.
33, early 30's-40's are prime picks.

Once the draft starts everything goes fast. The flood gates open. Then you get a nice break to assess your board, who's been taken, which teams went in which direction in the first ... You have a nice break to catch your breath and look at your options. Lots of good prospects left. I would make an attempt every year I had comp picks.

F that...I am still on the 2020 expresa train!

That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if we traded Thuney for a high pick right now. I think we drafted enough OL talent to get by without Thuney.

In the off-season, I see where Chung and Hightower are at...and how they would fit in with our new safeties/LBers.

Trade for/Sign veteran WR's.

Draft as we normally do, hope the TE's develop, and make a hard decision at QB.

For QB, I don't want to get one in FA nor trade for one. It is either CAm/Stiddy or the draft for me.

One of the differences of how the early dynasties were able to reload and the current version was what drafted players they lost. Outside of Seymour and Ben Watson it seemed rare for any of the earlier Pats who were let go to do much. Trading or letting them go early almost always seemed like the smart move in hindsight. The more recent version has lost players like Chandler Jones, Trey Flowers, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, Jimmy G and Malcolm Brown who are all bringing a lot of value to their current teams. And that of course says nothing about Brady and Gronk. Outside of Gilmore and Guy who have the Pats picked up recently that are adding real value? So while the draft will be crucial for roster building so will deciding which players to keep while ensuring the veterans they grab are the right ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye