PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The inside story of the Patriots’ fall to rock bottom in the Bill Belichick era

Funny what people choose to remember for me the story of the last 8 years is that of a 2 time SB Champion and 3 time conference Champion.

Most of you guys choose a shorter timeframe but thanks for the set up.
You seem to suffer from short term memory issues.

Replace awful qb play with average qb play and you have 6 close losses that are wins without the QB turning them into losses.
We aren’t even talking about good Qb play, just Qb play that doesn’t turn wins into losses.
No team in the nfl could win with these QBs
The only two teams that are actually 10-6 are KC and BUF, but to your point, we all know how average Mahomes and Allen are. You're dumber than a box of rocks.

I fully accept and believe that Matt Patricia was a bad offensive coordinator.

But some of the claims here about the young offensive wizards are absolutely laughable.

Look: Sean McVay is heralded as a great offensive mind. And his teams put up massive amount of points and yards. But to portray Belichick as somehow being incapable of imagining an offense that works that way?

Please: if a defensive coach knows EXACTLY what your offense is doing, and manages to predict what your offense is doing, knows how to stop your offense-- > then that person KNOWS your offense. There is no voodoo or magic or newfangled "new" offense in any of this. Belichick knows McVay's offense backwards and forwards.

Teaching that offense is an entirely different thing, having your coaches teach it is an entirely different thing, and -- most importantly -- having a QB is the most important thing of all the important things in the history of football.

I fully accept and believe that Matt Patricia was a bad offensive coordinator.

But some of the claims here about the young offensive wizards are absolutely laughable.

Look: Sean McVay is heralded as a great offensive mind. And his teams put up massive amount of points and yards. But to portray Belichick as somehow being incapable of imagining an offense that works that way?

Please: if a defensive coach knows EXACTLY what your offense is doing, and manages to predict what your offense is doing, knows how to stop your offense-- > then that person KNOWS your offense. There is no voodoo or magic or newfangled "new" offense in any of this. Belichick knows McVay's offense backwards and forwards.

Teaching that offense is an entirely different thing, having your coaches teach it is an entirely different thing, and -- most importantly -- having a QB is the most important thing of all the important things in the history of football.
I bet Bill just guesses a lot on what the other teams offense is going to do. It’s been proven year after year after year. Nothing but luck. And to think otherwise would say Bill must know what he’s doing … which there is no way that’s true. I did wonder thou over the years , players would consistently say Bill would tell them , if you did this , then that will happen. Not one or two players … but consistently year after year. He must had one of them manic 8 balls. Smoke and mirror boys !!

I bet Bill just guesses a lot on what the other teams offense is going to do. It’s been proven year after year after year. Nothing but luck. And to think otherwise would say Bill must know what he’s doing … which there is no way that’s true. I did wonder thou over the years , players would consistently say Bill would tell them , if you did this , then that will happen. Not one or two players … but consistently year after year. He must had one of them manic 8 balls. Smoke and mirror boys !!
What's Bill's record against teams >.500 the last few years? We've all seen how the D plays against good offenses w/ good skill players.

That's not to say he isn't still a good DC. HC, not so much. GM, hell no. Time to move on for the sake of "what's best for the team."

There’s way more people on this site who suffer from long term memory loss as it stands
Nope. Everyone appreciates what he accomplished during the 20 yrs w/ the GOAT QB. Nobody can ever take that away from us.

But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, not a cult. That's Bill's motto:

1. This is a production business - failed.
2. Do your job - failed.
3. Better a year early than a year late - exactly.

What's Bill's record against teams >.500 the last few years? We've all seen how the D plays against good offenses w/ good skill players.

That's not to say he isn't still a good DC. HC, not so much. GM, hell no. Time to move on for the sake of "what's best for the team."
I agree 100% with the GM role needs to be removed. The problem is “ his 1960s football player who will run through a wall to just secure a paycheck” is gone. But there is no one in the nfl who can scheme a better game plan. Bills downfall is not realizing these kids coming out of college are not those men from by gone days. He definitely had a hard time relating before, I’m sure he’s horrible at it now. Time does catch up. I’m just in the belief that whoever we are going to replace him with will just be a stop gap, and the odds of Bill “ fixing “ this is higher than the next guys chance at success

What is best for the team? Move on to what or who? It is easy to criticize people, but what is your solution?

Nope. Everyone appreciates what he accomplished during the 20 yrs w/ the GOAT QB. Nobody can ever take that away from us.

But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, not a cult. That's Bill's motto:

1. This is a production business - failed.
2. Do your job - failed.
3. Better a year early than a year late - exactly.
I’m sure you know that winning a championship isn’t a right. Championships have never been won by one player. Ever. Or one coach. One GM. One owner. Team. Everybody has to do their job. Is Tom the greatest qb ever ? Yup. Did he do his job yup. But everyone else had to as well. It was a somewhat perfect marriage for 20 years. 53 player 20 plus coach marriage. Not one person. How can they take that from “us” .. I never played one down for the NEP. I’m just greatful that for over 40 years I got to be a fan of the greatest team ever. What happens next , as my gramma used to say “ is still gonna happen”… buy the ticket take the ride (HT)

What is best for the team? Move on to what or who? It is easy to criticize people, but what is your solution?
Honestly that’s a hard one. It’s like being married to your spouse for 25 years and you go through a divorce … unless you leaving your spouse for another one .. means you gotta start all over. The dating scene ( or coaching scene) must be almost traumatic for Krafty …

You seem to suffer from short term memory issues.
It would seem to be you who is forgetting things like the fact he has many rings as the rest of the head coaches combined.

I agree 100% with the GM role needs to be removed. The problem is “ his 1960s football player who will run through a wall to just secure a paycheck” is gone. But there is no one in the nfl who can scheme a better game plan. Bills downfall is not realizing these kids coming out of college are not those men from by gone days. He definitely had a hard time relating before, I’m sure he’s horrible at it now. Time does catch up. I’m just in the belief that whoever we are going to replace him with will just be a stop gap, and the odds of Bill “ fixing “ this is higher than the next guys chance at success
Why do you say this?
We've seen a lot of young HCs be successful the last 5 years.
You can't be scared to move on just because of our previous success. There are no guarantees, of course, but there's also no guarantee that Bill can turn this thing around given his efforts have yielded worse results 3 seasons in a row.

1. Hire a GM from a program succesful at identifying modern player talent. Leave no stone unturned. Money is not an issue.
2. Hire a HC with a proven record of coordination a/o HC abilities. Preferably a young offensive minded coach. Money is not an issue.

It's not my job to identify who these people are. Kraft hired Parcells, Carroll and Belichick, all of which are damn good coaches. Odds are he'll identify another solid choice.

I’m sure you know that winning a championship isn’t a right. Championships have never been won by one player. Ever. Or one coach. One GM. One owner. Team. Everybody has to do their job. Is Tom the greatest qb ever ? Yup. Did he do his job yup. But everyone else had to as well. It was a somewhat perfect marriage for 20 years. 53 player 20 plus coach marriage. Not one person. How can they take that from “us” .. I never played one down for the NEP. I’m just greatful that for over 40 years I got to be a fan of the greatest team ever. What happens next , as my gramma used to say “ is still gonna happen”… buy the ticket take the ride (HT)
I'm not even concerned about winning a championship (yet). I would just like to see the team be competitive on both sides of the ball, unlike the trash we've seen these last few seasons. I know it will take time. I'm just looking for a total change in philosophy from what we have, which clearly no longer works.

1. Hire a GM from a program succesful at identifying modern player talent. Leave no stone unturned. Money is not an issue.
2. Hire a HC with a proven record of coordination a/o HC abilities. Preferably a young offensive minded coach. Money is not an issue.

It's not my job to identify who these people are. Kraft hired Parcells, Carroll and Belichick, all of which are damn good coaches. Odds are he'll identify another solid choice.
Carroll was not a good HC for the Pats.

Why do you say this?
We've seen a lot of young HCs be successful the last 5 years.
You can't be scared to move on just because of our previous success. There are no guarantees, of course, but there's also no guarantee that Bill can turn this thing around given his efforts have yielded worse results 3 seasons in a row.
A lot lol you might want to go check the age of the SB winning coaches going back a decade or so other than McVay I think they are all older than 60.

I agree. Bill always stresses receivers that block … those are getting fewer and fewer due to the money that goes along with yards.
I think all teams require the receivers block, but you've got princesses like Pickens who aren't there for their team, only themselves.

Hereby reserving your right to *****. Slick.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back