PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Future

JohnJH

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Question: What would you realistically like to see happen this off-season (Front Office/Coaching Staff/Player Personnel Moves) and what do you think actually will happen regarding the aforementioned?

Both hoping and thinking Belichick is retained to a more organized staff and any FO help. I won't be picky. As much as I like/respect Vrabel, who is a good HC with a bright future, there is only one direction you're going when you're moving on from BB as a HC

Both hoping and thinking Belichick is retained to a more organized staff and any FO help. I won't be picky. As much as I like/respect Vrabel, who is a good HC with a bright future, there is only one direction you're going when you're moving on from BB as a HC
Anyone coming in behind BB certainly has their work cut-out for them, just like coming in as QB after TB 12.

Anyone coming in behind BB certainly has their work cut-out for them, just like coming in as QB after TB 12.
I've already opined that whoever replaces BB is gonna suck. Might as well be someone that I like and I do like Vrable.

Changing the general strategy of drafting players. Refresh or change the personel responsible for managing the team. Rebuild the team starting with a new QB, one or two new OL and a true WR.
Spend money wisely during a FA.

Changing the general strategy of drafting players. Refresh or change the personel responsible for managing the team. Rebuild the team starting with a new QB, one or two new OL and a true WR.
Spend money wisely during a FA.
All this is easier said than done.

I'm sure these have always been the priorities the last 3 years.

1. Our QB attempt was a fail: Mac.
2. Our attempt to bring in LTs failed: 2022 draft when 6 LTs went before us and teams reached. Only overpriced busts left in FA.
3. Great FA WRs and TEs were not available in previous years, and we seemingly tried to sign all of them except Christian Kirk: Algholor, Smith-Schuster, Bourne, traded for Parker, Gesicki, Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry. But this year, for the first year in a long time, there are opportunities for WRs in FA if they're not franchised (Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman).'

All this is easier said than done.

I'm sure these have always been the priorities the last 3 years.

1. Our QB attempt was a fail: Mac.
2. Our attempt to bring in LTs failed: 2022 draft when 6 LTs went before us and teams reached. Only overpriced busts left in FA.
3. Great FA WRs and TEs were not available in previous years, and we seemingly tried to sign all of them except Christian Kirk: Algholor, Smith-Schuster, Bourne, traded for Parker, Gesicki, Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry. But this year, for the first year in a long time, there are opportunities for WRs in FA if they're not franchised (Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman).'

Great post. I would only add that 1. draft the right guys, 2. spend money wisely, and 3. get the best coaches, has been the strategy for as long as I can remember.

I think the GM hire will actually be more interesting than the coach hire.
I think there is only one place this offseason to fix LT.
I'd feel better taking a flyer on a QB at 34 over 3.

I think the GM hire will actually be more interesting than the coach hire.
I think there is only one place this offseason to fix LT.
I'd feel better taking a flyer on a QB at 34 over 3.
Unless evaluations prove otherwise, I would like J.J. McCarthy. Let him sit his rookie season while a hopefully effective offensive coaching staff is in place, along with a rebuilt O-Line, WR/TE Corps, and RB Corps. Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, and Love have all sat at least their rookie season's, if not a few seasons before starting. The kid has the height, arm, and athletic ability, and played at a Big Time program. My only concern with Daniels is his weight. But, if he can get up to at least 215 (although 220-225 would be better), and not loose any of his speed and athletic ability, then he would be a fine choice.

Unless evaluations prove otherwise, I would like J.J. McCarthy. Let him sit his rookie season while a hopefully effective offensive coaching staff is in place, along with a rebuilt O-Line, WR/TE Corps, and RB Corps. Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, and Love have all sat at least their rookie season's, if not a few seasons before starting. The kid has the height, arm, and athletic ability, and played at a Big Time program.

I haven't seen enough of the CFB QBs to have a say one way or another, I have watched enough football to know if we don't fix LT, anyone playing QB is going to have a bad time. A bad line is one sure way to setback a QB development.

I might feel different if I thought the QBs were bulletproof, but I don't.

I haven't seen enough of the CFB QBs to have a say one way or another, I have watched enough football to know if we don't fix LT, anyone playing QB is going to have a bad time. A bad line is one sure way to setback a QB development.

The O-Line is a MUST to be addressed properly for any QB (and running game for that matter), to succeed. They found Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer in rounds 2 and after.

The O-Line is a MUST to be addressed properly for any QB (and running game for that matter), to succeed. They found Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer in rounds 2 and after.

I've been looking at the OTs projected to Rd2, from what I've seen most look like RTs. I would try to move back to 6 (Giants, who I can conceivably see wanting QB or WR), pick up their '24 2nd (43 I think) and more.

Draft OT at 6
Draft QB at 34 (or a small trade up)
BPA (maybe WR) at 43

1. We can draft a QB in the first, if the right one is available and still get a LT or RT in the second or trade back up into the first. There are about a dozen good T prospects but they will all be gone by pick 45/50.

2. But we can play the same game if we draft say Joe Alt with first pick and then go for Nix, McCarthy or Penix if he slides due to injury concerns and poor showing vs. Michigan.

I prefer scenario number 1.

I've been looking at the OTs projected to Rd2, from what I've seen most look like RTs. I would try to move back to 6 (Giants, who I can conceivably see wanting QB or WR), pick up their '24 2nd (43 I think) and more.

Draft OT at 6
Draft QB at 34 (or a small trade up)
BPA (maybe WR) at 43
Barton, Morgan and Paul can all play LT and be had in the second or with a slight trade up into the first. I don't know what happened to Barton's play (some slippage) right before his injury but I saw some Matt Light in him and he went in the second round.

1. We can draft a QB in the first, if the right one is available and still get a LT or RT in the second or trade back up into the first. There are about a dozen good T prospects but they will all be gone by pick 45/50.

2. But we can play the same game if we draft say Joe Alt with first pick and then go for Nix, McCarthy or Penix if he slides due to injury concerns and poor showing vs. Michigan.

I prefer scenario number 1.

I prefer 2, it's going to be a long couple of months!

Anyone else have a feeling we'll be trotting Jones back out there next year? Suck for Shedeur 2025

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back