PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The forgotten 1976 - 1978 NE Patriots

do you like losing that much? Grogan was a wreck of a qb! He was surrounded by a ton of talent, but never won anything.

there was more talent on that 1978 team than the 2001 team that win a super bowl. The difference, qb play!
Probably true but doesn’t change the fact that Grogan was as fierce a competitor as we have seen and he endeared himself to those of us in the aluminum benches.

Probably true but doesn’t change the fact that Grogan was as fierce a competitor as we have seen and he endeared himself to those of us in the aluminum benches.

his competitive spirit was never in doubt, only his skill was.

I remember early in his career when he spit in the face of a Pittsburgh defensive back. That time me he had guts.

Grogan was effective when he had his legs but once they were gone, he was gone. His big flaw was a propensity for his ball to "sail". Frequently his passes would elevate during the trajectory. Don't know if that made sense, but about a third of the distance after leaving his hand the ball would inexplicably rise and end up being overthrown. When he was on his game he could be great but I always believed the flaw kept him from being a top QB.

we actually stomped the raiders in foxboro that year 48-17....was at the oakland alameda coliseum for the dreith playoff game....i'll always be pissed. raiders went on to crush the stillers and vikings as we would have. '76 should have been our first sb victory not '01.

That 1976 team was tremendous... I'm still pi$$ed off at Ben Dreith for that "roughing the passer" call.
That 1976 team was so good. Actually DESTROYED the eventual SB Champs 48-17 in the prior meeting in the regular season. Got robbed in the playoffs. But man was that a fun team, and really felt it was the start of something special. I had become a fan in 1975, so 1976 was really special for me.

1978 was a weird ending, but they were the best rushing team in NFL history, and their record held up for 40 years I believe. Chuck Fairbanks ****ed that team up. Announced he was leaving, right before their playoff game.

I liked Grogan, but I had a problem with his decision making, probably linked to that fierce competitiveness. I'll never forget the opening game of the 1978 season against the Washington Football Team, then known as the Redskins. It was the fourth quarter, with the Pats leading 14-9, having the ball in Redskins territory and driving for the clinching touchdown. Grogan pitches the ball to a running back for a power sweep left. The play goes for a first down, but on the play, Grogan attempts to block Ron McDole, a Redskin defensive lineman. Grogan whiffs on the block, but as Grogan brushes him, McDole turns his back and stumbles down, fooling the ref into calling a clip. Fifteen yard penalty. Patriots fail to get the first down, punt, and later lose the game when the Skins return a Pats fumble into a 31 yard touchdown. Probably the only NFL game ever lost because of a clipping penalty called on a quarterback.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back