PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The forgotten 1976 - 1978 NE Patriots

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Athletic made an article today concerning the awesome team we had 1976/1978 period...Pity i am not able to read it all but it must be fascinating and thanks to them for remember it...

Last edited:
I have seen again now the 1976 highlights of the season...what a team...near perfect...sad that no Super Bowl arrived in that season...
Incredible Players...impossible to mention the best ones...there were so many...

So glad grogan is no longer our qb.

That 1976 team was tremendous... I'm still pi$$ed off at Ben Dreith for that "roughing the passer" call.
I'm more pissed off at Sam Cunningham going out of bounds two yards short of a first down on first down. The holding on Russ Francis that series was also more egregious than the roughing call.

I'm more pissed off at Sam Cunningham going out of bounds two yards short of a first down on first down. The holding on Russ Francis that series was also more egregious than the roughing call.
Could not agree more on both plays. Was POed at Sam BAM for stepping out of bounds to avoid contact. He had one job.
There was no replay then, but the Raiders LB Villipiano grabbed Russ's arms from behind such that the ball bounced off his chest for incomplete. OBVIOUS pass interference not called.
Sicilian co-worker & major Pats fan described his house scene as follows. John was a big guy. Watching the game with his very elderly grandfather just arrived from Italy who spoke no english. Dreith makes the infamous RTP call and John jumps up yelling and smashes the coffee table in front of him into smithereens with his considerable forearm and fist. Grandfather freaks out, totally confused, screaming in Italian with no idea why his grandson is destroying their home.
The Snow game was revenge, a dish best served cold.

The beginning of the end starts at 12:30...

Sam Bam ran OOB on 2nd down, not 1st down BTW...one feckin chain link away...Don't know why he didn't just lower his head and keep running;
he would've had the 1st down easily...But the Pats fecked-up by jumping on Grogan's hard count to make it 3rd/5+one link...
Then came the non-call of DPI...kind of a messed-up-looking play; Grogan nearly hit one of his blockers with the pass...

I'm so glad Grogan was our QB. And he should have started the SB.

do you like losing that much? Grogan was a wreck of a qb! He was surrounded by a ton of talent, but never won anything.

there was more talent on that 1978 team than the 2001 team that win a super bowl. The difference, qb play!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back