PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading up using 1st-3rd round picks is a losing proposition. If you get 6 chances in the first three rounds, you're going to hit a few times. I'd rather have two more chances in those rounds than the difference between the guy at 32 and the guy at 21. And moving down only matters if you end up with no one left to take in your top tier and you can pick up additional useful picks (and picks in future drafts; rather have a 4th next year than a 5th this year).

People get enamored with players but it pays to remember that most of the players in the draft won't be any good, and that includes 1st rounders.

Last week I was watching replays or First rounds from recent years (say 2014-1018). I was surprised at how many times I said "who?" when names were announced. And those years those names were on everybody's mind.

Rumor is Dolphins are favorites to land Rosen.
I may be the minority on this but I think he is easily worth 32

Rumor is Dolphins are favorites to land Rosen.
I may be the minority on this but I think he is easily worth 32
I just heard a rumor AZ isn't taking Murray.

While trading back to stockpile high-round picks for next year always seems like a good idea, at some point real soon -- and I'm hoping it's THIS year -- the Patriots need a serious injection of young TALENT. That means actually spending high-round picks on players that will compete immediately for starting jobs vs. bargain hunting for role players.
I’m good with the plan they have used for 20 years, so if we want to call that bargain hunting for role players sign me up for more. :)

I’m good with the plan they have used for 20 years, so if we want to call that bargain hunting for role players sign me up for more. :)
I wonder if last year was a bit of a change in philosophy going more win now in round one, OT and running back are probably the two easiest positions to contribute from right away.

It ain't broke, that's for sure. It's not sexy, but it works.

One scouting reports about Stidham said top 5 talent but doesn't have the nuances to be a top QB that all can be coached baby.
Thorson and Stick are binkies both guys ball and compete.

I'm telling Etling that you're cheating already.

I wonder if last year was a bit of a change in philosophy going more win now in round one, OT and running back are probably the two easiest positions to contribute from right away.
I think those were the best players for the system. When did we draft first round players that weren’t going to contribute right away before?

I think those were the best players for the system. When did we draft first round players that weren’t going to contribute right away before?
He contributed & was a player but Chandler Jones (should be mentioned as one of Bills best picks) was raw & the definition of a project. That dude made leaps & bounds. Again he made plays but when you look at where he was, skinny, lanky, using mostly hesitation moves rushing the QB.

He contributed & was a player but Chandler Jones (should be mentioned as one of Bills best picks) was raw & the definition of a project. That dude made leaps & bounds. Again he made plays but when you look at where he was, skinny, lanky, using mostly hesitation moves rushing the QB.
He started day 1.
Isn’t this more a case of you were wrong about the player being ready to play than you were right, and Belichick got lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes