PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 qbs with better 3 cone drill times than DK, that ain’t gonna cut it

Speaking of Renfrow I could not believe he did not drop even a single ball during official game. Clemson's fans been discussing it and probably he did but it was hard to remember by them that fact. However "Mr. Relevant" is his nickname given to him with good reason.

I believe only three WRs had better 3-cones than Noah Fant.

Reading every one of your post is like holding hot puke in my mouth.

Our FO is one of the biggest reasons we're where we are & miles ahead of anyone else. From the trades we make, contracts we give (which everyone bit ches about), player development might be the best in the league. Not perfect but Nick could probably pick his job tomorrow if he wanted to.

Btw anyone looking to get caught up should take 20 mins & go through my thread.
From June
10) (PTP) Zach Allen Rush/Boston College – Allen, 6’5/275-280, is a big, thick defensive end from CT and looks like another stud off the line from B.C. He’s versatile and will make an impact in both the run and pass game. I described his game before as to playing with a readiness/awareness that exposes the work he does in the film room. I think he has big upside in the run game. He’s not fooled by misdirection runs and can keep his outside shoulder clean to reset himself if he needs to. He’s only going to get stronger as he fills out. His pass rush game is a + as well. He has length and knows how to use it. He’ll throw accurate stabs/punches, can move a ton with his bull rush and has a spin to counter overzealous linemen favoring the outside. Allen should be on every Patriot fans radar because he fits the mold Belichick has proven to favor over the years. Allen looks like a player still getting used to his body (size/strength) so I expect his game has another level this year.

Allen was a better college player than Harold Landry, who was pretty successful last year in Tennessee. He reminds me a lot of Ninkovich - smart, strong, adept at setting the edge. He's a well-developed technician for his age and wins with effort and a great first step. I don't know if he's a first rounder because of the depth of edge talent and the poor showing at Senior Bowl week, when they lined him up at tackle and he didn't play too well, but somebody's going to end up with a steal in the 2nd or 3rd.

Twelve picks is too many to make this team and they need quality over quantity. It wouldn’t be surprising if if he bundles up picks to move higher in the first round or stockpiles high picks for next year.

Bill is going to play this draft like an MF’ing Stratocaster.

Last edited:
I agree that 12 picks won't make the team. That doesn't mean that Belichick won't use his late 6th and 7th rounders (5 picks) to pick players instead of waiting to compete for them when they are UDFA's the next day.

I think that we should separate the 7 premium picks and the 5 very late picks.

When Belichick drafts someone in the first 4 rounds, they make the 53. There are 6 in the first 3 rounds and 1 in the 4th. We could get a couple of 2020 picks and still pick 5. Also, 1 or 2 picks might be used to trade for players, perhaps for an OT and/or WR.

I look at 5th's and 6ths as long shots to make the team, and 7th's and UDFA as even longer shots. However, I expect that a couple will make the team this year, just as they do each year.

BOTTOM LINE
One guess is that we have 5 early picks and 2 late picks of UDFA's make the team, less those who go to IR. That is definitely a lot. As I said, perhaps a couple of picks will be traded for vets, so that we don't have 7 new rookies to add to youngsters from last year.

Twelve picks is too many to make this team and they need quality over quantity. It wouldn’t be surprising if if he bundles up picks to move higher in the first round or stockpiles high picks for next year.

Bill is going to play this draft like a Stratocaster.

Would be surprised if BB picks at the first three spots (exactly where they are atm). In fact, I think it’s more probable he moves all three (earlier, later, or one of them into 2020).

12 picks is a lot. I’d be inclined to guess he’d use many of those to fill some holes BUT, not this year as soooo many of last year’s picks were injured and are (hopefully) ready to contribute. I’m as excited to see Wynn & Bentley as I am this year's picks.

If DK Metcalf falls to #32 would y'all take a chance on him (assuming both Hock and Fant are gone)? Crushed every drill except the most important one (3 cone slower than Tom Brady :eek: how????).
It was a no before & after the combine. Been watching this guy longer than most. Taking him Rd1 is a mistake. The hype surrounding him is foolish.

I'm literally not surprised, maybe slightly impressed w his showing. Guys like him are supposed to do that. Hes been a freak since day 1 at Ole Miss. The production, consistency & development on the field has never been there unfortunately.

He's a day 2 guy you develop w a good staff. Not a top 10 pick that is supposed to carry an offense.

Would be surprised if BB picks at the first three spots (exactly where they are atm). In fact, I think it’s more probable he moves all three (earlier, later, or one of them into 2020).

12 picks is a lot. I’d be inclined to guess he’d use many of those to fill some holes BUT, not this year as soooo many of last year’s picks were injured and are (hopefully) ready to contribute. I’m as excited to see Wynn & Bentley as I am this year's picks.

But the same holes still exist. Wynn could possibly replace Brown and Bentley adds LB depth.

Still you need help at iOL considering Thuney will hit FA a year later, DL, possibly safety and WR/TE.

while not all picks will be used for the 53 man roster I definitely see the first 6-7 picks being used for that. The later picks I could see getting traded for more depth.

There are certainly 12 spots available in the roster, and quote a few of them be upgraded by a 7th rounder or UDFA. And certainly there is ps room for them.

Here is a quick off the top of my head list of players who were on the 53 that are gone, could be gone for cap reasons, retirement, or would stand a strong competition for a job from a draft choice.

Brown
Ferentz
Karras
Allen
Hollister/Anderson
Hogan
Patterson
Dorsett
Brown
Shelton
Flowers
Clayborn
Simon
Humber
Mccourty
Slater
Waddle
Jones
Crossen
McClellan
Gostkowski
Allen
Melifonwu
Rivers
Davis
Kamalu

That’s 26 spots right there including gronk returning, or in other words there are only 27 players that were on the SB 53 that are most certainly returning and a reasonable lock for a roster spot.

^some of those names seem unlikely to move/have a realistic better option.

One exemple : there are reports Simon is getting something done with the team.

Another : Crossen, who is what he is, should be back.

I agree that there are 26 spots, any one of which could be filled by a rookie. However, I would not want 12 rookies to make the 53, in addition to Wynn and Bentley.

There is no need to go younger. There may be no limit. However, we already were the 3rd youngest team in the NFL in 2018.
====
Hopefully, egos list will be smaller by a few come next week, with the re-signings.

There are certainly 12 spots available in the roster, and quote a few of them be upgraded by a 7th rounder or UDFA. And certainly there is ps room for them.

Here is a quick off the top of my head list of players who were on the 53 that are gone, could be gone for cap reasons, retirement, or would stand a strong competition for a job from a draft choice.

Brown
Ferentz
Karras
Allen
Hollister/Anderson
Hogan
Patterson
Dorsett
Brown
Shelton
Flowers
Clayborn
Simon
Humber
Mccourty
Slater
Waddle
Jones
Crossen
McClellan
Gostkowski
Allen
Melifonwu
Rivers
Davis
Kamalu

That’s 26 spots right there including gronk returning, or in other words there are only 27 players that were on the SB 53 that are most certainly returning and a reasonable lock for a roster spot.

Twelve picks is certainly too many to make the team. But that doesn't necessarily make it too many to draft. After all, we know that more than 12 rookies will be at camp. More draft picks just means a more intriguing pool--and quantity + choice can equal quality.

For instance, back in 2009, the Patriots did draft a bloated slate of 12 players. The 11th of 12 was a QB conversion project named Julian Edelman.

And one of those was Stanley Morgan. He can be ours in the mid rounds.

Have yet to watch him but will. Deebo and McLaurin are the guys interesting me right now but it’s still early for me.

Have yet to watch him but will. Deebo and McLaurin are the guys interesting me right now but it’s still early for me.

Like both of those guys you listed too. I haven’t seen McLaurins draft projection but I’m hoping it’s day 3. Round 2 is a little early for me. Seems like a Classic day 3 guy, start out on special teams and then work his way into the wr mix.

Like both of those guys you listed too. I haven’t seen McLaurins draft projection but I’m hoping it’s day 3. Round 2 is a little early for me. Seems like a Classic day 3 guy, start out on special teams and then work his way into the wr mix.

Yeah I agree on McLaurin. Might be persuaded with the rnd 3 comps but that’s as high as I go and the board will have to be decimated for that to happen.

With his testing I see 3rd round.

I know metcalf stole the show but am I the only one more impressed with boykin? 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, broad jump all better. He’s a good outside target at 6’4” and he still ran in the 4.4 range? To me he’s better value than metcalf who’s assured to go r1 now. I’d also take Hakeem butler as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST