PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Derek Carr - Mac Jones Comp

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I heard during draft season that one of the comps for Mac was Derek Carr.

I watched the LV-CIN game then BUF-NE and could see it why that comp was made. Good but not elite physically. Better than average at processing the field. Makes some throws you think he should not, both good (completions) and bad (INTs). Misses some throws inexplicably (HH standing at the goal line in garbage time is one). Can't run at will, but can move around the pocket. Highly competitive even when the flow of the game was against him.

Any reasons why we should think this comp isn't a good one?

If none, any reason to not think we're going to have to structure the team to be elite on defense since we're not going to be elite on offense?

BB's recent presser says he's gonna take some time and process things. I gotta wonder what he thinks he saw with Mac, both good and bad, and what it means for the future of the team.

I watched the LV-CIN game then BUF-NE and could see it why that comp was made. Good but not elite physically. Better than average at processing the field. Makes some throws you think he should not, both good (completions) and bad (INTs). Misses some throws inexplicably (HH standing at the goal line in garbage time is one). Can't run at will, but can move around the pocket. Highly competitive even when the flow of the game was against him.

If none, any reason to not think we're going to have to structure the team to be elite on defense since we're not going to be elite on offense?

BB's recent presser says he's gonna take some time and process things. I gotta wonder what he thinks he saw with Mac, both good and bad, and what it means for the future of the team.
I am not sure you can compare him to anything right now. I know people like doing that. But there is no way to tell what he will be until he becomes that.

The defensive collapse meant the last few games were kind of a waste for Mac. We never learned what he can do in the clutch when trailing a tight close game and having to get a score.

No idea what his ceiling is yet. I bet nobody saw this coming from Josh Allen even after year 2 for him.

The defensive collapse meant the last few games were kind of a waste for Mac. We never learned what he can do in the clutch when trailing a tight close game and having to get a score.

No idea what his ceiling is yet. I bet nobody saw this coming from Josh Allen even after year 2 for him.
I read things a bit differently.

I went into the game expecting a loss after the Week 16 game vs BUF, which IMO we were never in despite its relatively close score.

Therefore I look at the 'garbage time' minutes as in essence an extended practice for MAC against playoff-caliber opponents, and a chance to take in how much better he and the rest of the offense need to be to be a playoff contender.

I also agree no one saw Josh Allen's improvements coming, but he said to be raw with a high ceiling coming out of college, and IMO Mac simply doesn't have his physical skills and while he can improve I don't see how he can catch up.

I am damn glad we have Mac. There are so many NFL teams out in the wilderness looking for a decent starting QB. We're in the great position to have found one. The issue is we're really going to have to develop the entire team to a high level if we want to be successful because Mac IMO does not have elite physical skills and we're gonna have to get past BUF if we want to go to the big dance.

We just finished Year 1 of the rebuild. I think we it'll be too much to ask to have it all sorted out in Year 2. IMO we're probably going to cut vets with big salaries and maybe even some of the newcomers who didn't perform. It could very well be a cap hell kind of year. We could take a step back rather than forward.

The issue is we're really going to have to develop the entire team to a high level if we want to be successful because Mac IMO does not have elite physical skills and we're gonna have to get past BUF if we want to go to the big dance.

We just finished Year 1 of the rebuild. I think we it'll be too much to ask to have it all sorted out in Year 2. IMO we're probably going to cut vets with big salaries and maybe even some of the newcomers who didn't perform. It could very well be a cap hell kind of year. We could take a step back rather than forward.
yes but thats the issue all around for any team out there thats nothing new here, the team has to be well balanced and good, look at the Bills, its not like they have a crap D (they have the #1 D) and look at their offense, its not like Allen is on his own making the players around him better, he has a great offensive team, he actually made a step when Diggs was acquired and Beasly, Knox, Davis etc joined the team, next to having a very good OL, thats valid for all the athletic freak QBs out there, some of them struggle because the team around them is crap se Bears, see Jags, etc every QB regardless if he has elite physical skills needs talent around him to succeed

I sense more of an issue on the GM/coaching side, where the NFL (incl rules) are trending more in a pass heavy, fast and athletic way while BB seems to be more in the old school, conservative, big slow LBs, rushing game wihtout much of really athletic and fast freaks out there, offensively and defensively, it just does not fit well unless you can put up your A-game and take the lead where you can eat the clock running, but thats not how todays NFL work anymore when you have to fight those flashy top teams with a lot of talent and speed on O and D

but I agree I expect a step back next year as well, however hope for a great draft bc thats needed else its just postponing any rebuild further if they do not hit on 3-4 players again

Too early for comps IMO.

Mac could be the next Joe Montana, next Joe Flacco or next Joe the Plumber.

Montana would be great.
Flacco would get the job done but be disappointing
He's already past Joe the Plumber.

I’ll take that…Carr is an excellent QB that has been saddled with a mess of an organization.

But in reality, drawing comparisons after a rookie season is fruitless. Let’s revisit this question after year 3.

I don’t see the comp. Carr is a more fluid passer who moves around more by design and throws well on the run. Mac prefers to be tethered to his spot. Carr likes the big, home run plays too.

Too early for comps IMO.
I can see the point if you are saying he still has room to grow, otherwise I don't see the point about it being too early to draw comps. Comps were drawn in the draft. We just saw a game were both Carr and Jones played on the same day against playoff grade opposition. It seemed to me to be a good time to revisit the draft comp.

He's already past Joe the Plumber.
But is he past Derek Carr?

I don’t see the comp. Carr is a more fluid passer who moves around more by design and throws well on the run. Mac prefers to be tethered to his spot. Carr likes the big, home run plays too.
I think that's where the room to grow comes in. Mac can get more fluid and improve his deep ball game, perhaps not to an elite level, but still he can improve.

Do you have a better comp?

I can see the point if you are saying he still has room to grow, otherwise I don't see the point about it being too early to draw comps. Comps were drawn in the draft. We just saw a game were both Carr and Jones played on the same day against playoff grade opposition. It seemed to me to be a good time to revisit the draft comp.

But is he past Derek Carr?

I think that's where the room to grow comes in. Mac can get more fluid and improve his deep ball game, perhaps not to an elite level, but still he can improve.

Do you have a better comp?
Thats fine but Carr is a multi-year vet and Mac is not.

Additionally Mac went against a D with 10x the talent.

I read things a bit differently.

I went into the game expecting a loss after the Week 16 game vs BUF, which IMO we were never in despite its relatively close score.

Therefore I look at the 'garbage time' minutes as in essence an extended practice for MAC against playoff-caliber opponents, and a chance to take in how much better he and the rest of the offense need to be to be a playoff contender.

I also agree no one saw Josh Allen's improvements coming, but he said to be raw with a high ceiling coming out of college, and IMO Mac simply doesn't have his physical skills and while he can improve I don't see how he can catch up.

I am damn glad we have Mac. There are so many NFL teams out in the wilderness looking for a decent starting QB. We're in the great position to have found one. The issue is we're really going to have to develop the entire team to a high level if we want to be successful because Mac IMO does not have elite physical skills and we're gonna have to get past BUF if we want to go to the big dance.

Allen is very very good but wildly overrated by Patriots fans because of what we saw the last 3 games against him. Other teams get A pass rush on him because the Bills OL sucks and he then becomes wildly inaccurate. Allen can improve. Especially if the Bills improve their OL and running game. Don’t judge him by his domination of the Patriots.

Thanks for the well-thought-out posts in this thread. I'm glad we can still have a thoughtful conversation here.

I don't know think Carr is a bad comp but I think Carr is a little better at improvising while I think Mac still needs to work through things the traditional way. That may come with experience but to be honest my comp is pre-injury Chad Pennington. Not the most physically gifted but smart, accurate, and tough. I know pre injury Pennington is a small sample size but he was a really good QB before the injuries and even a solid QB after them.

Florida child was playing like Tinman out there in the single digit temps. Once he figures out how to lube up, he'll play better. As with previous football activities, I'm sure the gf will oblige.

If Mac starts wearing eyeliner I'm done. I'll be going gay.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back