PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The danger of overestimating your opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
On any given day any team can beat the other team.

We have a lot of advantages over Jacksonville.

As BB says just do your job.

Go Pats

I will avoid this excellent forum for weeks if the Jags beat us. It would be consumed with "Jimmy G beat the Jags and we didn't" acrimony.
Fortunately, this is a moot point.

I will avoid this excellent forum for weeks if the Jags beat us. It would be consumed with "Jimmy G beat the Jags and we didn't" acrimony.
Fortunately, this is a moot point.
That’s a good point. This place would be insufferable.

So the danger is that you might be slightly inaccurate in your assessment of your chances to win, and subsequently be pleasantly surprised when they are better than you thought?

Sorry I'm a little underwhelmed by the danger factor here. :cool:

while I agree in some principle they just smoked the Steelers....we can say what we want about the Steelers but thats a dam good team. better take them seriously is all. Like others have said I bet BB is taking them very seriously.

while I agree in some principle they just smoked the Steelers....we can say what we want about the Steelers but thats a dam good team. better take them seriously is all. Like others have said I bet BB is taking them very seriously.
Smoked them by 3 points

We have home field advantage.
So did the Steelers.
considering the advantages of venue, temperature, experience .... the Patriots enjoy.
All true of the Steelers

The Waddles injury is most concerning to me here. If he plays (and to his pre-injury level) then there is no reason to be excessively pessimistic. But if he doesn't play, I would be very concerned. Particularly if there is another OL injury.

In addition, I'm always wary when a pass-catcher returns from a long injury. I could see Burkhead's timing being rusty, which, combined with the Jag's excellent turnover D, could yield a turnovers.

I'm not saying the Pats can't win this. But I see a number of ways they can lose. Here's one:

1. Waddles doesn't play. Brady gets constantly pressured and has fumble turnover.

2. Brady tries for short passes to Burkhead, who's timing is just a bit off from is time off, and the pass is intercepted.

3. Another injury to the OL results in even more pressure to Brady. The run game starts to fail as well due to the OL injuries.

4. There is a nasty cold going around. I kind of thought Brady maybe sounded slightly congested in a recent WEEI interview, although that is just as likely due to some mic or sound issue. Still, just one or two key players who are sick could mess up the timing.

I'm not saying this will happen, but the Patriots have lost a number of games over the years to tough D's when the OL breaks down.

And the big issue here: the Jag's seem well-coached. The Pats win an amazing number of games against really stupid coaches who beat themselves. Not so easy to win against a well-coached team - Pats actually have to win.

[Edit: And of course we now no longer have a top QB backup so one injury to one player could devastate the team.]

Last edited:
All rational points.
I do however think that the Pats are superior enough to win given only ONE Brady turnover.

I'm an LDS (Mormon) and there's a verse in the Mornon scripture The Doctrine and Covenants that specifically says, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." (Doctrine and Covenants section 38, if you're curious). That's ultimately the philosophy Bill Belichick has lived by his whole life. And it's a true proverb. We will be prepared for this game, and we have the tools to win it if we are prepared. I'm excited for this game.

One good thing going for us is, I heard the Jags will be without their #1 cornerback on Sunday, as he had already booked his ticket to Minnesota for the Superbowl.

He visited America, don'tcha know. ;)
Guy can't bring up his culture around here without getting sarcastic comments, I guess.

I mean we literally have a member of this forum called @Patjew, but still, let a guy mention he's LDS and bring something from a major part of his life experience to the forum, and there's people who go out of their way to make a comment.

Ahh well, c'est la vie.

Guy can't bring up his culture around here without getting sarcastic comments, I guess.

I mean we literally have a member of this forum called @Patjew, but still, let a guy mention he's LDS and bring something from a major part of his life experience to the forum, and there's people who go out of their way to make a comment.

Ahh well, c'est la vie.

:oops: My B, y'all.

Ahh well, c'est la vie.
Didn't mean to offend you and sorry if I did, no disrespect intended. Was having a South Park moment and Primetime's post opened the door.

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." (Doctrine and Covenants section 38). That's ultimately the philosophy Bill Belichick has lived by his whole life.
Just before that: "I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine" which also sounds Belichickian.

That’s a good point. This place would be insufferable.
"Insufferable" doesn't come remotely close to accurately describing it. If the unthinkable happens, I'll be back just before the draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes