PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Cost Of A Competent Backup QB

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have a QB and a backup. And that is sustainable for 2023, even if we review the possibilities of drafting or bringing in another.

I suspect that we need to know what we have in Jones. Maybe that decision has already been made, in which case he is our backup and MIGHT be traded during next year's draft, or not.

Why wait? Trade Jones now and get what you can for him. I've personally seen enough to go with Zappe for the foreseeable future.

Why wait? Trade Jones now and get what you can for him. I've personally seen enough to go with Zappe for the foreseeable future.
because we don't want Gilbert as a backup in case of injury.

This team is 3-4, about where many expected it to be in this developing year. Belichick is focusing on the NEXT GAME. Winning the next two would still put us where many hoped us, to be 5-4 at the break, with a chance at the playoffs if things work out. To start the season, we all understood that it would take at least half a season for the Offense to gel.

Of course, most of us never understood that Wynn would move to RT (with no return to LT), no matter how poorly he played that position.

Wasn't Mac a pro bowler in his rookie season last year? Wouldn't you be trading someone who's value is at the absolute lowest right now? Sounds like a good plan to me.
Easy to be a Forum GM when there are no consequences :headscratch:

Correction: We have 2 backups
Starting quarterbacks need time to develop, especially those not picked in the top 10.

So, no we don't currently have a QB who is an average in the NFL, and certainly not average in the AFC.

I'm not ready to give up on Mac but the Pats might need to pull a Dolphins and give him some proven weapons and focus on drafting offense to see what he's really capable of

I'm not ready to give up on Mac but the Pats might need to pull a Dolphins and give him some proven weapons and focus on drafting offense to see what he's really capable of
Precisely... Hurts and tua shone in 3rd year . Rodgers came in 4th year , Brees also shone after 4 years. Manning had a horrible first year .

We are not getting the next Brady. Before we become so fickle minded like colts, browns , bears let's give an opportunity to Mac and zappe . We shouldn't be drafting a QB for next two years .

Mahomes, Rodgers have won 1 Superbowl. Josh Allen, Herbert, Matt Ryan, Lamar and burrow haven't won 1 yet.

So let's be realistic. We need a QB who can give us a fighting chance . That means an above average one . I think we have 2 . We have so much flux this year that it's not reasonable to expect the quantum jump. We depend a lot on defense and if they fail we stand no chances . Again these are growing pains. Might take a year or two to stabilize. There is no quixk fix through veteran QB or draft .

So let's focus on development of our players and ensure that talent is the criteria for coach selection.

Tampa lost to Carolina last week. That doesn't mean buca are out of playoffs. Retain the faith . Team will come good this week. Let's be classy and faithful fans .

I'm intrigued by Zappe and I think Mac needs to find the place he was in his development prior to this year, then clear all the cobwebs out of his head about what he doesn't like and who he doesn't want to throw to, and try to acclimate to what we're doing now. He's shown no signs of getting it to date.

Reports are that he's got the start, but "reports" mean nothing until the game. I'm sort of hoping that he won't. But I also have no desire to see "He'll start" becomming 3 series then Zappe again.

One excuse I've seen is that because he threw so many int.s, the present emphasis on ball security is handcuffing the poor guy. Well I guess. But if that's the solution to a ball security issue, why don't we let the fumble-prone backs on the field? The putative answer is the great rarity of turning up the next franchise QB. But that still puts us in a position where once again, the better QB is on the bench, at least to open the game, if reports are to be believed. Then Zappe gets to go into games having not taken first team reps.

I'm all kinds of patient with the long term concept of Mac Jones, but something is not yet working this season. Part of me says don't humiliate him or the team any further. If it's practice time for Mac, in full regular season games, fine. In Bill I trust. I guess. But my bare minimum is that any lingering knee discomfort not be there.

I guess I lobbied for the short leash and I got it. Now I see people saying, okay, you have a QB controversy and it's your own damn fault, Bill Belichick.

Question though, taking the other position: If we are not ready to play him all game, isn't it a dumb move to put him in a few series until he's certified sub-par, then put Zappe in, without proper prep -- pretty much making it more likely they both fail?

I'd like to see a fan poll of
- Play Mac until Zappe is needed, vs.
- Play Mac all game, no matter the outcome, vs.
- Play Zappe all game, no matter the outcome.

I think door #3 is, right now, the most appealing.

Everybody is saying there's no lingering injury issue. (Another way to say, "oh this year he just sucks.") Great, let the October preseason re-commence. I mean, we did use a high draft pick on him. I'm okay with accepting the logic that this season is extended occupational therapy for Mac, because he was such a good draft pick we have to hang with him.

But I'm sorry, I lost my religion with the idea that we'll start him to win football games when Zappe came in and hit two quick scores. Right now, he's just the better QB. I could believe all sorts of stories until that point about how the mighty mighty Bears were now 12 feet tall and bulletproof just for this game, but we saw the uptick with our own eyes. True, our D fell apart, theirs got it together, and the rout resumed in the second half.

But the main point is, the Pats thought that sticking with the Mac choice was too embarassing (whether for him or for the team is anybody's guess.)

Who in here thinks Mac Jones is suddenly going to show his rookie season form with the start against the JETE?

Is the remainder of the season just glorified occupational therapy for Mac Jones?

Who thinks the coaches are seeing him excel in practice, but he just happens to be unable to perform when actually playing? ("I swear this has never happened to me before...")

Look in your respective hearts, think about the moment of the Zappe swappe on Monday, and tell me: Do you think that Mac Jones is ready for a statement game -- or for that matter, a competent one?

I post this from the heart, fully aware that the moment I make a prescriptive statement about roster decisions, I am almost always wrong. In fact, that's a bonus. If I say Mac is destined to suck, curse broken.

In fact, I am almost counting on it. If I go all "Sit his first-round pro-bowl buttocks down," I just assume he's throwing for 4 TDs and 350.

I'm afraid I don't feel that we'll see that, or anything close to it. Given the "always wrong" aspect, though, I guess my private crisis of faith should fill you all with confidence in another MJ start. :D

Mac was a Probowler last year because the QBs who actually voted in did not wish to play.

I'm intrigued by Zappe and I think Mac needs to find the place he was in his development prior to this year, then clear all the cobwebs out of his head about what he doesn't like and who he doesn't want to throw to, and try to acclimate to what we're doing now. He's shown no signs of getting it to date.

Reports are that he's got the start, but "reports" mean nothing until the game. I'm sort of hoping that he won't. But I also have no desire to see "He'll start" becomming 3 series then Zappe again.

One excuse I've seen is that because he threw so many int.s, the present emphasis on ball security is handcuffing the poor guy. Well I guess. But if that's the solution to a ball security issue, why don't we let the fumble-prone backs on the field? The putative answer is the great rarity of turning up the next franchise QB. But that still puts us in a position where once again, the better QB is on the bench, at least to open the game, if reports are to be believed. Then Zappe gets to go into games having not taken first team reps.

I'm all kinds of patient with the long term concept of Mac Jones, but something is not yet working this season. Part of me says don't humiliate him or the team any further. If it's practice time for Mac, in full regular season games, fine. In Bill I trust. I guess. But my bare minimum is that any lingering knee discomfort not be there.

I guess I lobbied for the short leash and I got it. Now I see people saying, okay, you have a QB controversy and it's your own damn fault, Bill Belichick.

Question though, taking the other position: If we are not ready to play him all game, isn't it a dumb move to put him in a few series until he's certified sub-par, then put Zappe in, without proper prep -- pretty much making it more likely they both fail?

I'd like to see a fan poll of
- Play Mac until Zappe is needed, vs.
- Play Mac all game, no matter the outcome, vs.
- Play Zappe all game, no matter the outcome.

I think door #3 is, right now, the most appealing.

Everybody is saying there's no lingering injury issue. (Another way to say, "oh this year he just sucks.") Great, let the October preseason re-commence. I mean, we did use a high draft pick on him. I'm okay with accepting the logic that this season is extended occupational therapy for Mac, because he was such a good draft pick we have to hang with him.

But I'm sorry, I lost my religion with the idea that we'll start him to win football games when Zappe came in and hit two quick scores. Right now, he's just the better QB. I could believe all sorts of stories until that point about how the mighty mighty Bears were now 12 feet tall and bulletproof just for this game, but we saw the uptick with our own eyes. True, our D fell apart, theirs got it together, and the rout resumed in the second half.

But the main point is, the Pats thought that sticking with the Mac choice was too embarassing (whether for him or for the team is anybody's guess.)

Who in here thinks Mac Jones is suddenly going to show his rookie season form with the start against the JETE?

Is the remainder of the season just glorified occupational therapy for Mac Jones?

Who thinks the coaches are seeing him excel in practice, but he just happens to be unable to perform when actually playing? ("I swear this has never happened to me before...")

Look in your respective hearts, think about the moment of the Zappe swappe on Monday, and tell me: Do you think that Mac Jones is ready for a statement game -- or for that matter, a competent one?

I post this from the heart, fully aware that the moment I make a prescriptive statement about roster decisions, I am almost always wrong. In fact, that's a bonus. If I say Mac is destined to suck, curse broken.

In fact, I am almost counting on it. If I go all "Sit his first-round pro-bowl buttocks down," I just assume he's throwing for 4 TDs and 350.

I'm afraid I don't feel that we'll see that, or anything close to it. Given the "always wrong" aspect, though, I guess my private crisis of faith should fill you all with confidence in another MJ start. :D
good post, make a lot of good points in it....

A few weeks ago I said that Zappe threw a good ball, and paraphrasing here because I don't remember my exact words, there could be trouble brewing for Mac... This was in live chat, so there is nothing I can point to to back that claim up...

Playing Zappe vs playing Mac... The team needs to decide what direction it wants to take for the future... I think we collectively have fallen for the allure presented by a decent back up .. happens All the time... He looks good now... They reigned in the o, went to shorter, quicker routes, and the defenses had no real tape to work with... Chicago exploited that extra time they had to prepare... in doing so, learned to exploit his inexperience... Answered some questions of his strengths vs his relative weaknesses

Mac is the future until he isn't... He needs to play, to learn and grow til the question is answered... Is he the guy... No quick hooks, no benchings, no shared practice reps...

Last edited:
So, no we don't currently have a QB who is an average in the NFL, and certainly not average in the AFC.

You've come to that conclusion about Mac, based on this year's performance so far?
I'm genuinely curious (this is not one of those disagreement posts camouflaged as a question).

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back