Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To the surprise of absolutely nobody...

'Concerned' Goodell wants catch rule changed

Goodell revealed that he convened a summit earlier this month of five Hall of Fame wide receivers and several coaches to discuss the rule. The timing coincided roughly with the league's most recent catch controversy, the Week 15 play in which Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Jesse James was ruled to have dropped a potential game-winning touchdown against the New England Patriots.

James was unable to maintain control of the ball throughout the process of going to the ground, a portion of the catch rule that appears to be of particular concern to Goodell. The intent of the rule is to give officials a clear and bright line for judging a catch, but Goodell made clear he now considers it problematic.

The article notes James was unable to maintain control of the ball. Not really sure why this is the straw to break the camel's back. Oh wait, I know why, it benefited New England.

This is how I imagine Goodell trying to fix a problem.

here_to_help.png

Associated text: "We TOLD you it was hard." "Yeah, but now that I'VE tried, we KNOW it's hard."

They just need to quit ****ing with it. The more the tinker with it, the more convoluted, confusing, and open to interpretation it gets.

Well that's not entirely accurate. They seem to tweak it every 2 or 3 years because fans keep complaining about it.

No matter what they change it to, something will eventually happen which will get everyone complaining again.
Like Romo or Nantz or some other talking head spouting off about how questionable everything is...

No matter what they change it to, something will eventually happen which will get everyone complaining again.
Of course. As soon as whatever change they make results in an on-field ruling which goes NE's way, it'll be back to the drawing board.

LOL

czar needs to figure this out..what exactly is a catch??!

The rule is crystal clear - James did not do what you have to do anywhere on the field - control through the ground. Once Romo actually looked at the video, he knew what the correct call was.

ANyone have a list of this ridiculousness?

Last 3-4 years, changing the fg/pat rule during the season, blandino caught cheating, ineligible/eligible, jumping over the line of scrimmage, and now this.

Absolutely unbelievable

Has anyone witnessed this anywhere else in sports history?

The rule is clear, clean and the best way to handle it. The only argument that i would accept is that once you break the plane with control like james had, the play is a td. I still think he was looking to pop up and do a celebration dance which is why the ball spun in his hands. But, that is a tomlin coached team for you. Immature and low iq.

ANyone have a list of this ridiculousness?

Last 3-4 years, changing the fg/pat rule during the season, blandino caught cheating, ineligible/eligible, jumping over the line of scrimmage, and now this.

Absolutely unbelievable

Has anyone witnessed this anywhere else in sports history?

The rule is clear, clean and the best way to handle it. The only argument that i would accept is that once you break the plane with control like james had, the play is a td. I still think he was looking to pop up and do a celebration dance which is why the ball spun in his hands. But, that is a tomlin coached team for you. Immature and low iq.
Why should you not have to complete the catch crossing the goal line? You have to every where else. The requisite for a completed pass is actually catching the ball. James did not. The rule is consistent- finally.

For 90 years of NFL football everyone knew a catch when they saw one. After 10 years of Goodell & the gang that can't shoot straight no one knows what a catch is no matter what they think they saw until NY tells them....and then the tears start flowing. 'Survive the ground' should not be that hard to understand even for a stealers fan smdh

Why should you not have to complete the catch crossing the goal line? You have to every where else. The requisite for a completed pass is actually catching the ball. James did not. The rule is consistent- finally.
Goodell says he wants "to bring more excitement to it." And give the public the rule it wants. Maybe have a bunch of guys in a bar decide? HE IS SO STUPID I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

Besides, what the h*ll does Goodell have to do with the catch rule. There is a competition committee for that. Stay in your lane, A-hole!

We've been victimized by the catch rule, remember the Gronk TD overturned in the beginning of the year? I didn't think there was clear evidence to overturn on replay but it is what it is.

Yes, right when the new rule somehow decides a game in pats favor. Then it will need changing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes