PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Boston Sports Media Sucks

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This almost certainly doesn't deserve its own thread but I couldn't help myself after seeing this headline.

57257b3254.png

What a spoiled, gutless, cowardly reaction.

This almost certainly doesn't deserve its own thread but I couldn't help myself after seeing this headline.

57257b3254.png

Pretty much. They've always sucked. Even when the Pats were winning, they were complaining and inventing conspiracy theories to undermine the team's achievements. Sadly, there is a captive audience and a lot of those clowns post on this forum. They're easy to spot.

I can't stand our media but that title is not wrong.
Completely disagree. That headline is sensationalistic, dramatic, and completely ignorant of a lot of relevant context.

"Rock bottom"? The team is 4-6.

"Awful loss"? They lost by 7 points to a team quarterbacked by a very good player. They had a shot to send it to overtime late.

"New normal"? They won the Super Bowl in 2018. They went to the postseason in 2019. They've played 10 total games since Brady departed, are currently amidst a season without several core players due to a global pandemic, and without any salary cap space due to some lousy situations. There is nothing "normal" about this season whatsoever.

The headline is objectively wrong. Period.

Last edited:

57257b3254.png

There are just more eyeballs to capture with shallow emotional rants than by doing nuanced analysis. And that's not only Felger and his brainless cult following but the same is true for beat guys.

For a lot of people football doesn't go beyond shallow fantasy level and those folks are not interested why running crack toss on that third down where Rex got injured was a good call while the Texans were playing QB sneak. What's much worse around the Boston media is that the unprecedented success of the last 20 years has created this weird situation where many have incorporated winning into their personal identity.

So they much rather hear simplistic strawmen arguments about how this and that is the reason why they can't have what they feel is rightfully theirs. For gods sake there were times in the middle of our dynastic run where the Gillette crowd was "boo-ing" the team at halftime because they had a slow game. It doesn't get more entitled than that. And then a lot of the media just feeds on that and makes it worse.

Sports media as a whole is over the top at this point. Every one is the “greatest ever” and every win or loss is the “most important” one of the season. There is no nuance anymore because a nuanced take doesn’t generate sound bites and clicks.

I can't fathom why a Red Sox owned media entity would want to deflect attention away from their team's "rock bottom" position in MLB.

The content of this post has been remade and rehashed so many times over the years. It is well known by many about how bad they are. All I can say is don’t be a sheep and let it bother you. Life’s too short for that.

Quick classic platsfans question : who sucks MORE ? The media or the pass rush ?

The local media hated on our teams during the height of our Title Town era. They suck, but that’s what gets clicks and listeners. So I guess we can only blame ourselves.

I only read a select few fact based members from the Boston sports media, and rarely listen to local sports radio especially now that I'm working from home (only listen in car).

Beyond the generic negatively, what drives me nuts is their comical, almost high-school level fear of being labeled a homer. This fear manifests itself by them regularly and at length trying to distinguish themselves from what they think fans think, instead of just writing about sports or having a fact based sports conversation.

Recently, after dropping my daughter off at school I selected spots station station 1, hoping to get a Hayward update, but instead got a never ending "Green Teamer" rant, switch to sports station 2, same thing...switched back to Spotify.

Last edited:
If rock bottom is having a down year with a losing record, after losing the GOAT at the most important position on the field and arguably in sports. Having half your defense opt out, having basically zero cap space and being 4-6 with basically two plays and a covid test from being 7-3 then I am ok with that.

And it's not just the sports media that sucks it's the media in general. Today is all about clicks, integrity be damned.

The team is wildly inconsistent, which is not surprising when A. Your QB is wildly inconsistent and is the antithesis of Brady when it comes to being clutch. B. You have such a young team especially on defense. C. Had little cap space to be a real player in FA.

But the shortsightedness of the article headline is foolish. The Krafts will never allow this franchise to suddenly become the Browns, a perennial loser. BB has coached up a young team lacking star power at many places to where when they play mistake free can play with anyone in the league. This is at most is likely to be no more than a year or two reboot project. And I would be shocked if it were more than this year.

Need a consistent QB, an infusion of talent at WR and TE, get our opt out guys back and fill in the voids with the large amount of cap space we have this off season and of course the draft. Which will give us the highest pick we have had since we drafted Mayo in 07.

It's not as if the coffers are empty.

I can't stand our media but that title is not wrong.
So you think losing and being wildly inconsistent is what this franchise will now be for the long term? :evil:

So you think losing and being wildly inconsistent is what this franchise will now be for the long term? :evil:
I think it absolutely could be the "new normal" if we don't find a legit QB. There is no wiggle room in today's NFL. You have to have THE guy to compete. We have nothing at the most critical position.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back