PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Amendola role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I really think that by the end of the year we are all going to be surprised how much we miss Danny Amendola.

I don't think it's possible to count how many times Dola was the one that came through for us on third and 4th down. Edelman and Gronk did their share of lifting, but Dola for a depth guy was massive, and he always seemed to be good for a clutch catch when the chips were down and it was do or die.

Put it this way -- the superbowl didn't end in a way we'd like, but we don't sniff the Superbowl without the Brady-Dola connection in the 4th quarter against the Jags. He saved our bacon in that game, the Jaguars probably deserved to be the ones in the Superbowl if it wasn't for Brady-to-Dola.

More to the point, we don't win either of our two rings (49 and 51) without Dola's contribution either

I predict that at some point in the middle of the season, fans will be moaning that Brady isn't as reliable as he used to be on 4th down. The numbers will prove it. And the real reason will be, #80 isn't there to step it up in the clutch.

So do you guys think we have a good candidate to reprise that clutch depth receiver role? And if so, who do you hope to see step up and meet the challenge?

White will see a ton of action. But I think a trade is coming for a WR.

Said the same things about Troy Brown then came Welker.

Said the same things about Welker then came Jules.

Amendola is gone. Who's next??

I do wonder what it would have taken to keep DA. I would have thought less than $6 mil, but more than the Pats offered. But after some of his comments, I wonder. Of course, some of what he said might just be feeling insulted/unappreciated.

White and Michel out of the backfield or split out...

White was one of the guys I was thinking about. He was INCREDIBLY clutch in 51. But he's not going to be on the field all the time. And we can't reply entirely on our primary receivers because those guys will be double teamed in the clutch. Other teams know who our top guys are. That's half the reason Dola was able to get so open, he was the extra weapon the defense couldn't account for.

Hogan is a good candidate for that kind of secret weapon but... I dunno, no disrespect to 7/11, but Dola took it to a new level on third down. Still, I think Hogan's the best candidate to step into that role as the secret weapon guy they keep in their holster just in case the other team puts an extra man on both Gronk and edelman. That was often where Amendola made his impact.

I do wonder what it would have taken to keep DA. I would have thought less than $6 mil, but more than the Pats offered. But after some of his comments, I wonder. Of course, some of what he said might just be feeling insulted/unappreciated.

Amendola chose to take his well deserved payday. I'm sure he wished the Pats offered him more but they were not about to double their offer to him to match Miami's.

From watching a Miami's preseason game it looks like they and their fans are getting a little taste of Amendola's magic.

Miami paid to bring in a guy from a winning culture who could still perform and provide another reliable receiving option for Tanny. I'm guessing they paid with hopes that his work ethic and winning attitude would rub off in the locker room as well.

Anyway I wish him a healthy, productive and playoff-less season. :D

There's more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Sammy).
I don't think we're going to be a downfield team ...
Lots of shorter stuff this year ... lots of timing ... we'll be fine.
Seems there's an emphasis on having a very mobile offensive line ... stay tuned.

Seems there's an emphasis on having a very mobile offensive line ... stay tuned.

I wonder what the Pats run/pass ratio will be this year compared to previous years.

I wonder what the Pats run/pass ratio will be this year compared to previous years.

Given the fact that we paid Shaq Mason a year earlier, drafted Wynn, paid Cannon 2 years ago, kept 4 TE's, kept a FB, and drafted a RB in the first round....

I think we are running it a lot more this year...still we remain primarily a passing offense. So, I'd say we are passing less than last year...but may ramp that up against certain opponents or in the play-offs.

I believe you are referring to the Welker role. Originally Wes had the Welker role. JE couldn't really find a place till Wes left, then JE took over the Welker role. And DA couldn't really get going till JE got injured and for last year DA took over the Welker role. Now JE is back and can re-take the Welker role.

There's no Amendola role.

The “ Amendola role” is really hard to replace. Take your limited opportunities and make big plays out of most of them. Not easy to find

I believe you are referring to the Welker role. Originally Wes had the Welker role. JE couldn't really find a place till Wes left, then JE took over the Welker role. And DA couldn't really get going till JE got injured and for last year DA took over the Welker role. Now JE is back and can re-take the Welker role.

There's no Amendola role.

The Amendola role is NOT the Welker role. If anything, it's an "extra Welker." Forcing teams to cover your dynamic slot guy and STILL have ANOTHER slot guy getting open against their third best DB

In 2016, something like 60-65% of the Pats passing attack was devoted to the intermediate range, +/-10yds downfield (Brady's bread-and-butter for years). Pretty much all of those passes landed in the hands of Edelman, Bennett, White, Mitchell and Amendola. The deeper downfield stuff (~15+ "air yards"), about 20-25% of the attack, was handled by Hogan and Gronk (when he was available).

In 2017, Bennett had left in FA, and Mitchell and Edelman were lost to IR relatively late in Camp. That left mainly Amendola and White, with some assistance from Hogan (when available). Intermediate-range passing dropped to about 30% of the attack, while the deeper downfield portion (Cooks & Gronk), and the short range stuff (~5yds, led by White & Burkhead) both increased dramatically.

In 2018, I'd guess Hogan again picks up more of the deeper stuff, along with Gronk. When he returns, Edelman is obviously the guy who'll be dominating the intermediate range. Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson and the three RBs (White, Burkhead, Michel) seem likely contribute most of the rest, each at various points and for various stretches. Hollister and Allen maybe help out a bit, too. Dorsett also seems likely to contribute on the deeper stuff, from time to time.

Anyway, I'd guess that the emphasis returns to the bread-and-butter intermediate range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes