PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2019 defense > 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise, Simon, Rivers and nobody

are not better than

Wise, Simon, Rivers, and Clayborn

1. Defense will be 8 months older.

2. They will bring a lot of young pieces to help them.

3. Clayborn was benched for a reason.

Wise, Simon, Rivers and nobody

are not better than

Wise, Simon, Rivers, and Clayborn

Wise, Simon, Rivers and Charles Omenihu, Ferguson or Anthony Nelson are.

Clayborn is a good sub rusher for one type of situtation, that was a real liability setting the edge. The only real loss was Flowers and maybe Flores.

I did not want to lose him because that creates another ''need'' more than what he actually brings on the field.

Clayborn is a good sub rusher for one type of situtation, that was a real liability setting the edge. The only real loss was Flowers and maybe Flores.

I did not want to lose him because that creates another ''need'' more than what he actually brings on the field.

Omenihu would make me very happy. Perfect Flowers replacement. He could learn from Bennett and then take over as our top DE. If he keeps adding mass, he may be a Calais Campbell type. Really fun player to watch, although he's clearly not a finished product yet.

that's fine.

You are fine with replace Clayborn with Davis. That is who replaces him as we count DE roster spots (along with Rivers, Bennett, Simon and Wise).

My preference is to actually sign a player to replace him. Sure, there are better players out there who might beat out Clayborn and Davis in camp for a roster spot, especially at Clayborn's salary. Curiously, there are also players who might beat out Rivers. We had the opportunity to wait, but didn't because we need the cap money.

As an aside, to decide in March that Rivers is better than Clayborn is delusional at best.

Bedard has a useful article today about performance vs. pay imbalance for several players, all but one on the D. Makes his case, then suggests this:

Dont’a Hightower, post-June 1 release: $8,445,313
Devin McCourty, paycut: $3 million
Duron Harmon, release: $1.755 million
Nate Ebner, release: $1.6925 million
Elandon Roberts, trade: $1.53 million
Brandon King, release: $664,375

TOTAL CAP SAVINGS: $17,019,688

Bedard has a useful article today about performance vs. pay imbalance for several players, all but one on the D. Makes his case, then suggests this:

How is there a performance vs pay imbalance with Harmon?

Thank god Bedard isn't running the team.

How is there a performance vs pay imbalance with Harmon?

His analysis:
No special teams participation.
60% of the defensive snaps, and trending down
Nearly $5M salary.

And he states plainly that Hightower wouldn't get anywhere near his current salary if released to the open market, given the injuries and that the Jets walked away two years ago because of the medicals. He sees him in decline, and backs that up with ProFootballFocus.com having Hightower "as the 19th-best defender on the team, and 51st linebacker in the NFL."

Omenihu would make me very happy. Perfect Flowers replacement. He could learn from Bennett and then take over as our top DE. If he keeps adding mass, he may be a Calais Campbell type. Really fun player to watch, although he's clearly not a finished product yet.

I keep dreaming that we trade down for a early 2nd and 3rd and grab him and Anthony Nelson with those picks. We are set for the next decade (or 4 years if we don't pay them :)).

that's fine.

You are fine with replace Clayborn with Davis. That is who replaces him as we count DE roster spots (along with Rivers, Bennett, Simon and Wise).

My preference is to actually sign a player to replace him. Sure, there are better players out there who might beat out Clayborn and Davis in camp for a roster spot, especially at Clayborn's salary. Curiously, there are also players who might beat out Rivers. We had the opportunity to wait, but didn't because we need the cap money.

As an aside, to decide in March that Rivers is better than Clayborn is delusional at best.

He asked for his realease, i really don't think it is about money.

I do a LOT of preojections and if we resign everybody important (Edelman 7.5M, Brady 28M, Roberts 4M, KVN 9M, Thuney 8M, Gostkowski 5M) except from DMac and Gronk that i think will retire next year we have 25M-30M to spend and 46/47 players signed. So we really have 25-30M to fit 4/5 players and sign all rookies. We are in a good cap situation, really good. I really think that he wanted to leave for personal reasons.

How
1. Defense will be 8 months older.

2. They will bring a lot of young pieces to help them.

3. Clayborn was benched for a reason.

How much older is Bennett vs Flowers?
Pennel is a couple of years older than brown or Shelton

Safeties are old

Young pieces may help but few make an instant impact

Hightower and Edelman have both shown up big in all three superbowl wins this decade and both were missed dearly in 2017. As a fan, I don’t want to evaluate their value based on regular season production ever.

I think currently it's a little worse and maybe the same at best. But it has potential to be better with the development of JC and Bentley as well as Dawson and Crossen. Then throw some draft picks or another Vet and it should be better.

Agreed. Maybe Davis, Kamalu, Melifonwu, and Rivers on top of Dawson and Crossen. Lots of maybes but the coaching staff has an inkling about them.

Hightower and Edelman have both shown up big in all three superbowl wins this decade and both were missed dearly in 2017. As a fan, I don’t want to evaluate their value based on regular season production ever.

I don't either, which is one reason why its good I'm not making those decisions for the team.

Bedard is advocating for a raise for Edelman.

Are they? A bit presumptuous I’d say

Can't be much worse than a guy making 6M, that give us 2.5 sacks 11 tackles and 13 QB Hits in 318 snaps. John Simon in 185 snaps 2 sacks, 17 tackles and 3 QB Hits and he is not a pure rusher like Clayborn.

Can't be much worse than a guy making 6M, that give us 2.5 sacks 11 tackles and 13 QB Hits in 318 snaps. John Simon in 185 snaps 2 sacks, 17 tackles and 3 QB Hits and he is not a pure rusher like Clayborn.

can't be any better given certain names that don't even exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case