PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That win vs NYJ was #500 in team history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The victory over the Bills was the Pats' 499th regular season victory.. hopefully next week is win #500. That is most among original AFL teams........

Boston/New England Patriots Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

(If it stills lists 498, then the Bills haven't been factored in)
Media/Kraft continue to try to enrage me with slanted stats...

Game Notes: Patriots clinch playoff spot for 20th time in Kraft’s 25 years of ownership

:rolleyes: Should be, Pats clinch playoff spot for 16th time under Belichick

Yes, Pats made playoffs four times in expanded, watered-down format in the nondescript 90's.

Even the Super Bowl team in '96 was inferior to their predecessors in the 70's and 80's.

USA Today: "...an owner who defiantly clings to a virulent logo and uniform..."

Are they talking about Snyder, or Kraft?

“Kraft continues to insist New England’s current logo “honors” their fans and alumni, and he cherry picks polls and surveys to find those that bolster his argument. But the height of privilege – and by privilege, I mean that enjoyed by rich people, particularly white men – is thinking you can tell fans and alumni of a team what is and isn’t offensive to them."

Team Encyclopedias and Records | Pro-Football-Reference.com

If you sort by W-L% they're also 4th.

If you sort by Wins only Dallas is ahead of them in teams founded in 1960 or later.

The Colts in 7 more seasons have 16 more wins. Just over 1/year

The Lions in 30 more seasons have 59 more wins. Less than 2/year.

The Cardinals in 40 more seasons have 54 more wins. Just over 1/year.

Media/Kraft continue to try to enrage me with slanted stats...

Game Notes: Patriots clinch playoff spot for 20th time in Kraft’s 25 years of ownership

:rolleyes: Should be, Pats clinch playoff spot for 16th time under Belichick

Yes, Pats made playoffs four times in expanded, watered-down format in the nondescript 90's.

Even the Super Bowl team in '96 was inferior to their predecessors in the 70's and 80's.

USA Today: "...an owner who defiantly clings to a virulent logo and uniform..."

Are they talking about Snyder, or Kraft?

“Kraft continues to insist New England’s current logo “honors” their fans and alumni, and he cherry picks polls and surveys to find those that bolster his argument. But the height of privilege – and by privilege, I mean that enjoyed by rich people, particularly white men – is thinking you can tell fans and alumni of a team what is and isn’t offensive to them."
While I don't agree with your logo hate I've thoroughly enjoy your flames on the subject but why all the hate for Drew's SB team? They didn't pick the uni's they just gave us one of the best pre-Brady seasons of our franchise's history.

Just behind Pack & Bears, but Cowboys are way up there at the top (.574)

Sideline Gatorade drinking controversy

Main article: 1975 National Football League player beverage controversy

In an incident dubbed "GatorGate," on October 6, 1975, NFL security caught a Cowboys assistant serving orange-flavored Gatorade to players on the sidelines. The NFL rules state "No commercial beverages of any kind are permitted to be in use on the sidelines, on the field, or in the locker room during the game which are not sanctioned by the league." Only the lemon lime version of Gatorade is listed as authorized for use in the NFL, although there is no restriction on varying flavors or colors. Lions coach Rick Forzano, a former assistant at the Naval Academy when Roger Staubach was quarterback, tipped off league officials that the Cowboys might have been serving illegal beverages. After the game, the Lions formally complained to the league.

On October 11, the NFL fined Cowboys Head Coach Tom Landry $500,000—the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 55-year history, and fined the Cowboys $250,000, both the maximum fines allowable under league rules. Additionally, the Cowboys forfeited their first round draft pick in the 1976 NFL Draft. Pete Rozelle, an alumnus of the University of San Francisco, said that he fined the Cowboys as a team because Landry exercises so much control over the Cowboys' on-field operations that "his actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club." Rozelle considered suspending Landry, but decided that taking away draft picks would be more severe in the long run. Alouicious Tomase, New York Daily News columnist, stated Landry should have been suspended by Rozelle for the Cowboys' next game against the Giants. Freelance sports reporter Chris Mortensen reported that the Cowboys' Gatorade was likely spiked with illegal steroids.

Landry later issued the following statement:

I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Schramm family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the Dallas Cowboys for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Cowboys fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career. [...] As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of orange Gatorade had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used orange Gatorade to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress. [...] Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect. [...] With tonight's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game.

Several coaches of other teams admitted using orange flavored Gatorade. Ultimately, the only technical violation Rozelle was able to determine the Cowboys committed was the use of blue and white colored coolers instead of the common green and orange coolers.

The sanctions against Landry were the harshest imposed on a head coach in league history.

While I don't agree with your logo hate I've thoroughly enjoy your flames on the subject but why all the hate for Drew's SB team? They didn't pick the uni's they just gave us one of the best pre-Brady seasons of our franchise's history.
It was exciting and they deserved to be there, and could've finished the job if we'd let Curtis carry the damn rock in New Orleans more.

It was by far the best season for us in that decade. Kraft bought the team after Drew & Bill's first year, which followed three predictably bad seasons after Berry dispatched the best quarterback of his generation, Doug Flutie. Not ten thousand centuries, as local media endlessly like to blather to this day.

My comments are in reaction to the denigration/dismissal of our franchise's history prior to Kraft, by local and national media, the league and our opponents, which have no basis in reality. Even after a quarter century of actual futility, the Packers of the 90's did not arrive in camp every summer inundated with locals blathering about how their franchise sucked and pretending that Lombardi, Starr, et al. never existed.

The Patriots are 107 games over .500 for their history.

Brady is 147 games over .500 for his career, think about it.

Team Encyclopedias and Records | Pro-Football-Reference.com

If you sort by Wins only Dallas is ahead of them in teams founded in 1960 or later.

The Colts in 7 more seasons have 16 more wins. Just over 1/year

The Lions in 30 more seasons have 59 more wins. Less than 2/year.

The Cardinals in 40 more seasons have 54 more wins. Just over 1/year.
Good post.. Pre 1990 the team with the best overall winning percentage?? Any guesses? Cleveland Browns at .642 ( 382-213). Since 1990, 134-280 for a .323 winning percentage (would have been .318 without Mayfield's heroics this year). Overall they are .511 with 516-493.. Put another way, they have 17 more wins in 15 more seasons..

It was exciting and they deserved to be there, and could've finished the job if we'd let Curtis carry the damn rock in New Orleans more.

It was by far the best season for us in that decade. Kraft bought the team after Drew & Bill's first year, which followed three predictably bad seasons after Berry dispatched the best quarterback of his generation, Doug Flutie. Not ten thousand centuries, as local media endlessly like to blather to this day.

My comments are in reaction to the denigration/dismissal of our franchise's history prior to Kraft, by local and national media, the league and our opponents, which have no basis in reality. Even after a quarter century of actual futility, the Packers of the 90's did not arrive in camp every summer inundated with locals blathering about how their franchise sucked and pretending that Lombardi, Starr, et al. never existed.

Agree on not letting Martin have a bigger role.

Doug Flutie was the best quarterback of his generation? There must be more context. Do you mean of what the Patriots had in their stable at that time?

Comparing the Packers history at that point in time to the Patriots is a bit ridiculous. They are one of the great dynasties of all time. If the Patriots fall upon hard times and in 30 years the Jaguars have still been sucking do you really think fans will say but you're forgetting about playing in the 96 and 17 AFCCGs? Or that fans of the Patriots won't still be calling our dynasty the greatest ever like the Packers did at that point?

Also there's a cultural thing there. The midwest if much more forgiving for bad years. The northeast you're as good as your last game never mind what you did seasons or decades past.

Comparing the Packers history at that point in time to the Patriots is a bit ridiculous. They are one of the great dynasties of all time. If the Patriots fall upon hard times and in 30 years the Jaguars have still been sucking do you really think fans will say but you're forgetting about playing in the 96 and 17 AFCCGs? Or that fans of the Patriots won't still be calling our dynasty the greatest ever like the Packers did at that point?

Also there's a cultural thing there. The midwest if much more forgiving for bad years. The northeast you're as good as your last game never mind what you did seasons or decades past.
He's not that far off. Lombardi had one of the great dynasties, winning 5 in 7 years and losing in the championship in the 8th year (1960- first year). BUT from that point on in 1967, the Packers went 30 years of mediocrity, winning 10 games only twice in those 30 years (1967-97) and lived on the laurels of the Lombardi era..... Since then, they won 2 Super Bowls, one with Favre (Desmond Howard) and one w Rodgers... Nothing special there.. Their dynasty was 50 plus years ago.....
Cowboys were great 25 years ago, Raiders 30 years ago.....Steelers 40 years ago....49ers,30 years ago....

He's not that far off. Lombardi had one of the great dynasties, winning 5 in 7 years and losing in the championship in the 8th year (1960- first year). BUT from that point on in 1967, the Packers went 30 years of mediocrity, winning 10 games only twice in those 30 years (1967-97) and lived on the laurels of the Lombardi era..... Since then, they won 2 Super Bowls, one with Favre (Desmond Howard) and one w Rodgers... Nothing special there.. Their dynasty was 50 plus years ago.....
Cowboys were great 25 years ago, Raiders 30 years ago.....Steelers 40 years ago....49ers,30 years ago....

Right but they have won. The Giants prior to 86 hadn't won **** in years but they were still arrogant about being the Giants. You have to be totally inept after winning like the Lions, Cardinals and Browns to go back to being just another franchise. Even the Raiders and to a lesser extent the Dolphins haven't won in forever and yet they are not the Bengals who have had more recent success than either.

The Bengals are a good analogy for what the Pats were.

The victory over the Bills was the Pats' 499th regular season victory.. hopefully next week is win #500. That is most among original AFL teams........

Boston/New England Patriots Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

(If it stills lists 498, then the Bills haven't been factored in)

Cool. I did not realize they were the winningest original AFC franchise. #500 against the The JETES would be perfect.

And while we are at it after Sunday the JETES and their fans can now start their gala 50 years without a trip to the Super Bowl year long celebration. My most deepfelt congratulations to them all.

Does "Actual" mean something different than "actual"?

The Bengals are a good analogy for what the Pats were.
Okay, nothing against Ken Anderson or Anthony Munoz, but please...

The Patriots of the 70's were a record-setting, top level contender which faced unparalleled adversity in the form of Dreith and Tatum, along with poor ownership decisions (Hannah/Gray, throwing Fairbanks under the bus) and bad luck (Adams lost for season in Week 1 on 9/3/78).

The 80's Patriots likewise were very competitive but lost due to the head coach's marriage to an inferior, should-be backup quarterback.
Right but they have won. The Giants prior to 86 hadn't won **** in years but they were still arrogant about being the Giants. You have to be totally inept after winning like the Lions, Cardinals and Browns to go back to being just another franchise. Even the Raiders and to a lesser extent the Dolphins haven't won in forever and yet they are not the Bengals who have had more recent success than either.
For twenty years, from 1964-1983, the Giants were putrid. They, like the present Raiders and Dolphins, are accurately described as a 'laughingstock' and 'second-rate franchise', unlike the post-1973 Patriots, who were consistently good after only a seven year run of losing, if you include Fairbanks' first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back