PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That loss is on the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
  • Stephon Gilmour not covering Alshon for the start of the game. Bad decision by the coaches. It cant even be debated as Gilmour pretty much shut him down once he started covering him.
  • Benching Malcom Butler completely. Took a key player out of the game. Butler's heart and scrappiness was a huge part of our D. This gives the defense an excuse for losing before the game even starts. Terrible decision. Reminds me of that time Wes Welker got benched before the Jets game in the playoffs and we lost. Our D couldnt have possibly been any worst tonight. Belichick will always say "I did what I thought was best for the team" but he was 100% wrong on this one.
  • No Blitzes all game? I'm so tired of seeing Eli/Foles/Flacco/Bortles look untouchable and have all day to pass on us. Meanwhile Brady gets hit late atleast once every series. Bortles started choking once we sent Corner blitzes a couple weeks ago. The Defense didnt touch Foles all day. Patricia and Belichick seemed content to let Foles stand back there and shred our D the entire game. At least make him feel a little uncomfortable and hit him. I dont get this at all.
  • No Gronk in the 1st half. Say whatever you want about the coverage. When they finally went to him, he was unstoppable. I dont know how you go into the damn SB and not have Gronk as a major part of the gameplan in the first half.
  • 3rd and 2 and you do a sweep with Cooks. Then kicking the FG... Then on the next series, it's 4th down and we run that trick pass play to Brady. This series screwed us from the start and our team looked completely lost. Why go for it on 4th down so far away from the endzone, but not just a yard away from 1st down in the redzone? I thought this sequence in the first half was terrible terrible play calling. We were playing catch up the entire game after this sloppy play calling by McDaniels.

Overall I thought this game was very winnable. This Eagles team isnt as good as the Seahawks team or even the Falcons from last year. I also think the Pats have let go way too much talent on defense over the past few years. Akiem Hicks, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Chris Long, Jabaal Sheard, Logan Ryan, etc. Could've used some of that pass rush tonight. To be honest we were lucky we even beat Jacksonville a couple weeks ago.

I agree with everything here, although the Amendola-to-Brady pass happened on 3rd/5, not 4th/5. Bill should've then gone with a 52-yard FG attempt, though after seeing his choke-artist idiot kicker miss a chip-shot earlier, he probably figured that a long Brady-to-Gronk pass stood a better chance of succeeding. It might have done so too, had the protection (i.e. Shaq Mason, who had better games than tonight) held up.
However - and again the coaching is completely to blame - why the **** did Skippy call such a high-risk trick play on 3rd down? If he & Bill were thinking that this was 4-down territory, then why not just try to run for as much yardage as possible on 3rd down, then give themselves some options on 4th down? What a ****ing mess.

Are people really blaming Patricia? For crying out loud. That this team finished top-5 in scoring defense is a testament to how good a coach he is. Go through their front seven and tell me how in the world this is a championship caliber defense. They have a very good secondary, a thin group of LBs who are slow and aren’t playmakers, one good pass rusher (Flowers) and one other above average defensive lineman (Brown) who isn’t dominant. He’s somehow patched together a contending defense out of all of this. The lack of sheer talent and lack of elite players caught up to them tonight when they could no longer account for all of the Eagles options through Grand Chess Master schemes.

Agree 100%. Worst Pat’s SB coaching job ever in the Belichick era. Patricia was awful. Glad he’s gone. Let’s get a 1990 Belichick clone who’s agressive and attacks the opposing QB. Foles didn’t break a sweat back there. Pitch and catch all day. Disgusting with the coaching decisions including benching Butler. The defensive players really need to work on tackling also, they were horrendous in this game. Belichick was awful.

Are people really blaming Patricia? For crying out loud. That this team finished top-5 in scoring defense is a testament to how good a coach he is. Go through their front seven and tell me how in the world this is a championship caliber defense. They have a very good secondary, a thin group of LBs who are slow and aren’t playmakers, one good pass rusher (Flowers) and one other above average defensive lineman (Brown) who isn’t dominant. He’s somehow patched together a contending defense out of all of this. The lack of sheer talent and lack of elite players caught up to them tonight when they could no longer account for all of the Eagles options through Grand Chess Master schemes.
The defense was terrible .

Blount looks good in Philly because his line is blowing open huge holes for him. He wouldn't have got that here, that's why it made sense to go with a shiftier backfield.

God the defense was stacked just 3 years ago (and yes I know they almost lost the game before the guy who BB has had mind to crucify all year saved the game. Still, would kill for a defense that was physical again. This year's squad was jello).

I can’t take this anymore. Butler was ****ing crying. ****ing idiot BB.

1.5 years*
Patricia has done a good job with this unit considering their lack of talent across the board. If anything, this Bulter benching was the straw that broke the camels back.

You can't bench the guy who won you a Super Bowl through his heroics at the start of another Super Bowl. That is about as demoralizing for the team as dealing Lawyer Milloy before the Bills game back in the day. And we all know how that choice influenced that game.

If you don't like Butler, play him and let the chips fall where they may. If he makes a play for you that wins the game, he is a hero again that you can't afford due to teams wanting to pay him for his services this offseason. If he plays poorly, you can just say that he lost his magic and you're moving on. By not playing him, the Patriots send the wrong psychological message to the team and fans. You've got to let your guys play.

I'm not blaming McDaniels. He did enough to win. 33 points. The biggest mistakes on his offense were things like Cooks trying to dive over a guy instead of picking a side and running, Cooks hesitating and getting knocked out. And a few execution things. All in all if you told me he'd call this game tonight, I'd be perfectly fine.

Belichick and Patricia OWN this loss. And I mean it in the worst way. 41 points in a Super Bowl is unacceptable. Right now they should be in Brady's locker room kissing his ass and thanking him that they only have to deal with the poor defensive reviews tomorrow and not how they got obliterated in a Super Bowl

God the defense was stacked just 3 years ago (and yes I know they almost lost the game before the guy who BB has had mind to crucify all year saved the game. Still, would kill for a defense that was physical again. This year's squad was jello).

Well that's what happens when you let go of

-Mayo
-Collins
-Wilfork
-Jones
-Browner
-Sheard
-Long
-Revis

All it takes is your new rookie defensive back getting injured to start the season and Hightower going down and you are having issues.

-Mayo
-Collins
-Wilfork
-Jones
-Browner
-Sheard
-Long
-Revis

All it takes is your new rookie defensive back getting injured to start the season and Hightower going down and you are having issues.
Yeah, I mean I understand some of those losses were going to happen no matter what, but this defense lost depth and talent in a short span of time.

• Stephon Gilmour not covering Alshon for the start of the game. Bad decision by the coaches. It cant even be debated as Gilmour pretty much shut him down once he started covering him.
  • Benching Malcom Butler completely. Took a key player out of the game. Butler's heart and scrappiness was a huge part of our D. This gives the defense an excuse for losing before the game even starts. Terrible decision. Reminds me of that time Wes Welker got benched before the Jets game in the playoffs and we lost. Our D couldnt have possibly been any worst tonight. Belichick will always say "I did what I thought was best for the team" but he was 100% wrong on this one.
  • No Blitzes all game? I'm so tired of seeing Eli/Foles/Flacco/Bortles look untouchable and have all day to pass on us. Meanwhile Brady gets hit late atleast once every series. Bortles started choking once we sent Corner blitzes a couple weeks ago. The Defense didnt touch Foles all day. Patricia and Belichick seemed content to let Foles stand back there and shred our D the entire game. At least make him feel a little uncomfortable and hit him. I dont get this at all.
  • No Gronk in the 1st half. Say whatever you want about the coverage. When they finally went to him, he was unstoppable. I dont know how you go into the damn SB and not have Gronk as a major part of the gameplan in the first half.
  • 3rd and 2 and you do a sweep with Cooks. Then kicking the FG... Then on the next series, it's 4th down and we run that trick pass play to Brady. This series screwed us from the start and our team looked completely lost. Why go for it on 4th down so far away from the endzone, but not just a yard away from 1st down in the redzone? I thought this sequence in the first half was terrible terrible play calling. We were playing catch up the entire game after this sloppy play calling by McDaniels.
Overall I thought this game was very winnable. This Eagles team isnt as good as the Seahawks team or even the Falcons from last year. I also think the Pats have let go way too much talent on defense over the past few years. Akiem Hicks, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Chris Long, Jabaal Sheard, Logan Ryan, etc. Could've used some of that pass rush tonight. To be honest we were lucky we even beat Jacksonville a couple weeks ago.

100% agree with this post!
We let so much talent go that BB thought he could win with just about anything.
Time for him to learn from his mistakes and make this team better.

-Mayo
-Collins
-Wilfork
-Jones
-Browner
-Sheard
-Long
-Revis

Sheard and Long weren't on that team, and Revis had no intention of staying unless the Pats broke the bank (and thank God they didn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back