PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That illegal pick play though

Status
Not open for further replies.
The call that really had me steamed, even though it didn't affect the outcome, was that horrible delay of game that was caused by refs refusing to let the Patriots snap the ball!! To rub salt in the wound, the Chiefs had 12 men on the field. That was horrible officiating right there.

I was looking at it and saying WTF

And yet, over at Chiefs planet all you read about is the bad RTP call on Brady and how the NFL rigged the game in favor of it’s favorite franchise.... LOL

Right, its easy to cherry pick the calls that went against you when you’re going to completely ignore the calls for you. Which is why im patiently waiting for the ‘bad calls evened out ‘ crowd to point out the bad calls that went our way aside from the rtp call i conceded. Im totally willing to hear it out and research the plays if i missed them, but from what i saw we got hosed on at least 3-4 more poor calls / no calls than they did.

That last chiefs drive to take the lead was totally aided by the refs hosing the Patriots. 2 ticky tack Pass interference calls on JC jackson (meanwhile you can see Gronk,dorsett, hogan get mauled on other passes) and then the illegal pick play.

I laughed pretty hard at Bill throwing the tablet into the stands.

Oh man I missed that gem of a moment, going to google to search now lol

Agree!

No call when Dorsett was wrapped in the EZ (and he still made that fantastic catch), and yet our defender seemed to have a light touch on Kelce in th EZ and flag was thrown?

Not only that, watch the replay again of the Kelce PI in the EZ... he pushed off HARD on the defender, that should have been offensive PI and instead they call the exact opposite and give them a free TD lol

The refs were trying so hard in that game

Last edited:
IMO, current NFL refs are no better than NBA refs and that is not a compliment.

For the OPI, any casual fan will see the media-driven high powered offense teams (current KC, LA, Atlanta, past teams like Indy, etc.) get favored status when it comes to OPI. Refs almost see it as part of their standard playbook.

The call that really had me steamed, even though it didn't affect the outcome, was that horrible delay of game that was caused by refs refusing to let the Patriots snap the ball!! To rub salt in the wound, the Chiefs had 12 men on the field. That was horrible officiating right there.
Also did the Patriots call for either measurement? Felt like there were a lot of stoppages to help the Chiefs keep up, especially late and at key moments.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ALP

lol you can see an equipment guy coming over to get the tablet from Bill after he's done with the ref.. then quickly realizes Bill has no intention of handing it to him and quickly turns the other way

hahaha

The Pats got a break on the roughing the passer call where they thought they hit Brady in the helmet. I mean, it actually did graze his helmet - you could see it move as the hand slid down - but it was so minor that the Pats got a big break there.

But they got screwed on:

- The JC Jackson penalty along the sideline when he was just running stride for stride with the receiver, nothing more.

- The non-holding or DPI penalty against Eric Berry when, from the moment the ball was snapped, he was hanging on to Gronk's jersey for dear life, never once letting go, and no flag in sight.

- The non-DPI penalty on the Dorsett touchdown. He got absolutely mugged - WAY worse than what Jackson did to Kelce. No flag. I do wonder if they'd have thrown it had Dorsett not caught the ball, like maybe the ref kept it in his pocket to see the outcome of the play. If so, I can live with that, but if he really wasn't gonna call DPI...holy smokes.

- The Dorsett OPI penalty. Ok, I can actually live with that one EXCEPT......

- The NON OPI penalty against the Chiefs on the play being discussed in this thread which was FAR more egregious.

So I don't want to hear any whining by Chiefs fans about this game. Tom Jackson saying in the post-game (and we know he hates BB and the Pats) that you "hate" to call an offsides penalty like they did on Ford. Yeah, TJ, the dude was a half yard offsides, and it was OBVIOUS. You can't just pretend that's not happening right in front of everyone. It's different from the Saints-Rams DPI non-call, which is a terrible no-call but that's a bang-bang play in the flow of the action. The offsides call...my god the guy just lined up there and never moved and the ref stared at it for like three or four full seconds. Had to throw the flag there.

Even on Hogan's catch (review) he was being held all the way downfield for 15 yards, way worse than the 1st half holding call against the Patriots.

While we’re at it, how come they don’t call the helmet to helmet stuff anymore?

I don't remember exactly when these occurred, but there were two helmet to helmet hits that were "missed". One was a hit to Edelman , I think after the interception. Granted, it still would have been an interception, but it would have moved them way back from where they returned it. I'm amazing he didn't have a concussion. Earlier in the game, Hogan was hit in the head after one of his catches too.

I don't remember exactly when these occurred, but there were two helmet to helmet hits that were "missed". One was a hit to Edelman , I think after the interception. Granted, it still would have been an interception, but it would have moved them way back from where they returned it. I'm amazing he didn't have a concussion. Earlier in the game, Hogan was hit in the head after one of his catches too.

Hogan twice, Edelman at least once, White once

And yet, over at Chiefs planet all you read about is the bad RTP call on Brady and how the NFL rigged the game in favor of it’s favorite franchise.... LOL
Those idiots don't get that the ref throws the flag right when Brady is looking. I'ts more than likely TB knew he had a free play. He did not seem upset at all on the close up right after the pick.

There was a blantant facemask by the Chiefs at the end of a Sony run that was missed at one point.

I missed it as well, though I was at a bar watching the game.

The Pats got a break on the roughing the passer call where they thought they hit Brady in the helmet. I mean, it actually did graze his helmet - you could see it move as the hand slid down - but it was so minor that the Pats got a big break there.

But they got screwed on:

- The JC Jackson penalty along the sideline when he was just running stride for stride with the receiver, nothing more.

- The non-holding or DPI penalty against Eric Berry when, from the moment the ball was snapped, he was hanging on to Gronk's jersey for dear life, never once letting go, and no flag in sight.

- The non-DPI penalty on the Dorsett touchdown. He got absolutely mugged - WAY worse than what Jackson did to Kelce. No flag. I do wonder if they'd have thrown it had Dorsett not caught the ball, like maybe the ref kept it in his pocket to see the outcome of the play. If so, I can live with that, but if he really wasn't gonna call DPI...holy smokes.

- The Dorsett OPI penalty. Ok, I can actually live with that one EXCEPT......

- The NON OPI penalty against the Chiefs on the play being discussed in this thread which was FAR more egregious.

So I don't want to hear any whining by Chiefs fans about this game. Tom Jackson saying in the post-game (and we know he hates BB and the Pats) that you "hate" to call an offsides penalty like they did on Ford. Yeah, TJ, the dude was a half yard offsides, and it was OBVIOUS. You can't just pretend that's not happening right in front of everyone. It's different from the Saints-Rams DPI non-call, which is a terrible no-call but that's a bang-bang play in the flow of the action. The offsides call...my god the guy just lined up there and never moved and the ref stared at it for like three or four full seconds. Had to throw the flag there.

Another spot where KC caught a break was on their final drive in regulation, after Flowers jumped offside Mahomes completed a pass to around the 20. KC was out of timeouts, but the clock was stopped with 16 seconds left due to the penalty. The referee announced that the penalty was declined, but then there was an additional discussion among the officials that lasted another minute or so. The referee came back to confirm that there were indeed 16 seconds left. Was that even a question at that point? That additional discussion gave KC an extra timeout.

That didn't end up changing anything about how regulation ended, but, if the situation was reversed, we would definitely be hearing about the refs helping the Patriots by having a discussion after a pretty normal sequence of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes