PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank You Jules. (Edelman appreciation thread)

Julian Edelman - making NFL experts look silly since 2009. There have been better Patriots (a very few), but none who ever played with joy he did or were more a pleasure to root for.
Ben Volin and Bert Breer, NFL experts???

Breer may be a decent reporter, and Volin may be a good troll, but NFL experts they ain’t.

Breer predicted this 9 yrs ago

Welker was awesome so it's truly surreal seeing how he went from a 120-catch receiver, to missing some key catches and injury, to being jettisoned and then see a scrappy low-profile low-drafted receiver work his way up and then win 3 rings instead. It's totally surreal. I wonder if the Pats NEED a super-team guy like this to win rings, they only won rings when a Troy Brown or Edelman (plus elite defense) were on the team.... Maybe that guy is already here in Meyers or Bourne....

Ben Volin and Bert Breer, NFL experts???

Breer may be a decent reporter, and Volin may be a good troll, but NFL experts they ain’t.
Fair enough, experts used loosely. But a lot of real experts doubted him too

Welker was awesome so it's truly surreal seeing how he went from a 120-catch receiver, to missing some key catches and injury, to being jettisoned and then see a scrappy low-profile low-drafted receiver work his way up and then win 3 rings instead. It's totally surreal. I wonder if the Pats NEED a super-team guy like this to win rings, they only won rings when a Troy Brown or Edelman (plus elite defense) were on the team.... Maybe that guy is already here in Meyers or Bourne....

Or Gunner

That whole game will never be forgotten, even 40 years from now. Edelman was all fire, never quit, love your teammates, just the perfect Patriot ever. Edelman>Welker 100% of the time. Welker was great but the fire, grit, will to win, I am so so happy Edelman developed and we won 3 rings with this CHAMPION.

Welker shrank when the pressure got too great, Edelman just got bigger and bigger

Welker shrank when the pressure got too great, Edelman just got bigger and bigger

Welker's playoff numbers do not reflect what you claim.

In the two superbowls he played in, he caught 18 out of 22 passes. He had a 100 yard game in the '07 superbowl game, and was 7-8 in the second game. And no, we're not going to dive into the rabbit hole of what happened with that last drop. That's history.

I think we can praise Edelman without kicking Welker to the curb.

Yeah it was incredible. A testament to working hard and doing anything to make the team. I would also nominate Stephen Neal going from wrestling and no football experience to being a Superbowl winning offensive lineman.

The 2 greatest team do-it-all guys, first Troy Brown and then Edelman, played special teams (both PR and kickoff coverage), DBack, wide receiver, Edelman has a perfect 158 passer rating by the way 7 for 8 and 2 passing TD's.

Interesting about that play...Baltimore should have challenged it because he was short, and even in real time it looked like he was just short. I know that 4th and 17 seems like a pretty good chance, but they shouldn't have even run that play. Look at Edelman's knee and it looks like this wasn't that close. I'm surprised Harbaugh didn't at least ask for a measurement before accepting the penalty. The Patriots didn't come back to win the game, but this extended their life just a little bit. A turnover and downs brings puts into the near-impossible range for a comeback.

Not to take anything away from Edelman's awesome effort.

1618512025441.png

Welker's playoff numbers do not reflect what you claim.

In the two superbowls he played in, he caught 18 out of 22 passes. He had a 100 yard game in the '07 superbowl game, and was 7-8 in the second game. And no, we're not going to dive into the rabbit hole of what happened with that last drop. That's history.

I think we can praise Edelman without kicking Welker to the curb.

I'm sorry, did Welker or Edelman catch the ball when it mattered most?

I mean, what even is Welker's signature Super Bowl play?

Edelman has a bunch of stuff that goes beyond generic slot receiver "run slant fall down" stuff.

49 - Catch & run after that mad hit, insane goal line whip score
51 - THAT CATCH
53 - The whole game basically

Ima say that his catch in the Super Bowl was the best catch I have ever seen. Period. And when you consider that it was such an important play and such a big game, it is hard to imagine it ever being outdone. Lynn Swann's is probably number 2, nothing else comes close.

I'm sorry, did Welker or Edelman catch the ball when it mattered most?

As I said, I'm not going to dive down that rabbit hole. I don't think that one drop should make Welker a pariah.

Ima say that his catch in the Super Bowl was the best catch I have ever seen. Period. And when you consider that it was such an important play and such a big game, it is hard to imagine it ever being outdone. Lynn Swann's is probably number 2, nothing else comes close.

Agree after Macolm Butler first

Pats could very well still be looking for their first title since '04 if not for Jules. Like seriously.

As I said, I'm not going to dive down that rabbit hole. I don't think that one drop should make Welker a pariah.
No one's making him a pariah, that one drop happened to lose a Superbowl, while Edelman made numerous Superbowl saving catches. I'll take the guy that wins Superbowls

No one's making him a pariah, that one drop happened to lose a Superbowl, while Edelman made numerous Superbowl saving catches. I'll take the guy that wins Superbowls

I think the 90 yard drive that the defense gave up on the next possession had something to do with it.

Again, like I said, I don't see how it's necessary to stomp on Welker while praising Edelman. Both gave their all, both were fierce competitors, and were both absolutely fearless crossing the middle. Edelman was just in the right place at the right time.

I appreciate both of Edelman's & Welker's contributions to the team, but can we please stop remembering Welker for that Superbowl. Welker was a stud and a great Patriot for many years.

I appreciate both of Edelman's & Welker's contributions to the team, but can we please stop remembering Welker for that Superbowl. Welker was a stud and a great Patriot for many years.
No, no we can't

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back