PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank You For Your Service B.O.B. - Why Don't You Start FT at PSU Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your memory is not sharp.

SB 39:

New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles - Recap - February 06, 2005 - ESPN

After two dominating performances against superior teams in the Colts and Steelers, the Pats somehow struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Eagles in the SB.

Everyone remembers how pitiful McNabb looked not managing the clock down the stretch, but few remember that he outpassed Brady by over 100 yards in that game.

Charlie WAS distracted in the two weeks between the AFCCG and the SB.

Difference was that Charlie Weis was not replacing a beloved legend at his new job and we didn't have a proven OC who knew the players already sitting in the press box.

So, sorry, you comparison fails. The situation is COMPLETELY different this time around.

Struggled mightily? It was the easiest of the three Super Bowl wins.

seems to me telling your Offensive Coord to leave during Superbowl preparation week would be akin to John Tomase breaking spygate news.

we do not need that controversy and distraction right now. even if BB wanted to wean him out of the playcalling I don't think he would do it so overtly.

Your second sentence is at least coherent. Fine, COVERTLY allow BOB to work for PSU and have him go through the Patriot motions in public while letting McDaniels be the full-time OC if that avoids public controversy. Who cares whether it is covert or overt - - the guy is PRE-OCCUPIED with recruiting for the next 9 days while the Joe Paterno Funeral Extravaganza yields more opportunities for tens of thousands of Penn State fans/former players/alumnae to say how much they hate BOB becoming their new head coach.

Yeah, he's in a situation that will allow him to focus on the job at hand. ;)

The problem with screens and the reason we didn't see any is that the Ravens are EXTREMELY good at sniffing them out.

I agree that a draw would have been a better choice. or even a slam up the middle..

I'm with you on this ... aren't screens more a weapon when the rush is coming up the middle? The Ravens were encircling Brady from both sides really which left the middle to be exploited.

Last edited:
LOL. Bob had a few bad play calls against the Ravens and people are shipping him out of town. I like McDaniels but he hasn't been great since he left the pats. Bob has done a great job with the offense this year (especially the tight ends) and I have confidence that he will come up with a very good game plan for the Super Bowl. Josh has to spend some time with the new players on offense before he takes over the play calling duties.

I have consistently said BOB was a very good OC with the Patriots.

He is in a different situation now.

Perhaps you should read up about 1) the National Letter of Intent Day and when it is scheduled and 2) The reaction of Penn State students/fans/ alumnae/former players to BOB's hiring.

This is someone who is under enormous pressure NOW (not during the regular season).

Your second sentence is at least coherent. Fine, COVERTLY allow BOB to work for PSU and have him go through the Patriot motions in public while letting McDaniels be the full-time OC if that avoids public controversy. Who cares whether it is covert or overt - - the guy is PRE-OCCUPIED with recruiting for the next 9 days while the Joe Paterno Funeral Extravaganza yields more opportunities for tens of thousands of Penn State fans/former players/alumnae to say how much they hate BOB becoming their new head coach.

Yeah, he's in a situation that will allow him to focus on the job at hand. ;)

He's actually in PA right now and will be there until Wed, per Rapaport tweet.

I think the gameplan for the superbowl will have BB's and McDaniels fingerprints all over it. I guarantee you they both went to work on Sunday night.

Struggled mightily? It was the easiest of the three Super Bowl wins.

The easiest of the three Patriots Super bowl wins? Check out the level of "ease" of the other two.

That's like being the tallest midget.

Let's compare the three playoff wins of the same team (with Wilfork and Corey Dillon) in the same season.

THAT is the more accurate barometer.

I think the gameplan for the superbowl will have BB's and McDaniels fingerprints all over it. I guarantee you they both went to work on Sunday night.

I just saw the first part of your post on ESPNBoston. He'll be in Happy Valley until Wed nite, but will still be working on Penn State business even when in Foxboro.

The second part, I sincerely hope you're right.

Right now OC for the Patriots is NOT a part-time job.

Last edited:
The easiest of the three Patriots Super bowl wins? Check out the level of "ease" of the other two.

That's like being the tallest midget.

Let's compare the three playoff wins of the same team (with Wilfork and Corey Dillon) in the same season.

THAT is the more accurate barometer.

20 points against the Colts
24 against the Eagles

Toss in the last 3 regular season games:

The outlier is the Pittsburgh playoff game, at 41-27

In 12 of the 19 games that season, the Patriots scored in the 20s. The Super Bowl was one of those 12. In other words, you're not making any sense.

20 points against the Colts
24 against the Eagles

Toss in the last 3 regular season games:

The outlier is the Pittsburgh playoff game, at 41-27

In 12 of the 19 games that season, the Patriots scored in the 20s. The Super Bowl was one of those 12. In other words, you're not making any sense.

More sense than your 'SB 39's 3 point Patriot victory was the easiest of all the Patriots' 3 point SB victories'.

So, yes, I'll go back to the fact that the 3 point margin of victory against the Eagles was the lesser performance of THAT YEAR'S playoffs for the Pats compared to the 17 point win over the Colts and the 14 point win (it wasn't even that close) on the road against the 15-1 Steelers.

Crennel and Weis had distractions for that SB. BOB has FAR BIGGER distractions right now. A far tougher job to take over under far tougher circumstances.....and they had far better experience than BOB - each had 5 SB rings.

Last edited:
most of the yards the pats got in the running game came in pass formations were the ravens where playing pass first when they did try to run it with a FB and two TE's they hard a hard time geting 2 yards, the ravens have the best front 7 in the NFL even a good running team is not going to beat the ravens like that,

as for the pass offense Brady sucked he even said him self he missed wide open pass and was forceing the ball to guys like Matthew Slater who has 1 rec in he's 4 year career and was Double coverd that not very Brady like

seems to me, someone is still mad about Bradys throw to Slater, and is still blaming B.O.B.

just sayin ;)

More sense than your 'SB 39's 3 point Patriot victory was the easiest of all the Patriots' 3 point SB victories'.

So, yes, I'll go back to the fact that the 3 point margin of victory against the Eagles was the lesser performance of THAT YEAR'S playoffs for the Pats compared to the 17 point win over the Colts and the 14 point win (it wasn't even that close) on the road against the 15-1 Steelers.

Crennel and Weis had distractions for that SB. BOB has FAR BIGGER distractions right now. A far tougher job to take over under far tougher circumstances.....and they had far better experience than BOB - each had 5 SB rings.

In the Eagles game, the Patriots never trailed in the second half.

In the Eagles game, the Patriots didn't need a last minute field goal to win the game.

Sorry, but the Eagles Super Bowl was the easiest of the 3 victories. That's just the way it is.

I'm sorry, but that was a ridiculously badly called offensive game yesterday.

BJGE/Woody and the OL are PLOWING the Ravens down the middle consistently - - - so let's go AWAY from that!

Let's start lofting post passes to midget Julian Edelman!!!

The Pats D FINALLY gets the big key INT turnover with 7 minutes to go in the game at the 50 yd line. Yeah, don't take time off the clock with the punishing run game - - have Brady heave it up in double coverage to......get this - - - 5 foot zero Safety Matthew Slater.

I think Josh can handle things from here. We need a FULL-TIME OC.

shmessy

Rewatched the game last night just to make sure.

There was nothing wrong with the game plan and play calling.

The reality is if "normal" Brady (not even "great" Brady) shows up, that's a multi score win.

Execution matters.

First, maybe I am missing something here, but on what are you basing your assertion that an OC cannot do his job along with this Penn State deal unless you sit in the meeting rooms and see what everyon'e role is? I am aware that the Penn State role takes time, but an OC delegates just like any other good supervisor (BB actually said in "A Football Life" that he explained a detailed plan to Parcells, who said "don't like it" and little more - How much time did that take?). Absent that critical information, you are attempting to line up what many would characterize as bad execution on the field with a flawed game plan, or that the management if flawed is a product of strained time resources. The Pats coaching staff is not three people, and I have never seen any details on their day-to-day responsibilities that would support your conclusion. People who delegate have more free time because they supervise the overall product rather than getting mired in minutia (which they tend to be capable of reviewing quickly). If you have some insider knowledge on those responsibilities on which you appear to make your logical leap, do tell.

Second, Brady does not simply run a play and throw to a particular receiver. If Slater was a diversion, and Brady hit the open receiver, then the play would be brilliant as the diversion would be effective. Brady walked on the field and threw the ball to a lesser receiver with admitted rookie-like tunnel-vision. BOB did not tell him to do so. That reflects Brady's bad decision-making on the play. Throwing to Edelman? Brady's decision-making. Suddenly Brady, after all his success, is a mindless drone on the field? That isn't a reasonable proposition, and is inconsistent with past accolades he has received when he suceeds. As he admitted, he had a bad game and rarely does see games like that. Is the game plan bad because it didn't work because the personnel groupings were unworkable or because options with those groupings were improperly utilized by Brady? Brady always says his favorite target is the open man. Was that the case in the examples you cited?

Third, running success appeared to come when Ngata was not on the field. I would like to see the stats on runs with him on defense and runs without him on defense. The Pats were not running amok on the Ravens D. They had 96 total yards and a 3.1 average, which is not lights out by any stretch of the imagination. Green-Ellis had a few long runs, but that was offset by bad runs to a 4.5 YPC in 15 carries (I submit the 2nd ranked run defense of the Ravens would have further lowered that average if the Pats went run heavy on play calls with predictable running plays). The overall plan was fairly balanced, at 31 runs to 36 passes. So would your preference be run more, run Green-Ellis more, tell Brady to check to runs or not check from runs, or what specifically? What would a competent, well prepared, non-time-stressed OC have done in your opinion?

I submit the offense played poorly and did not execute, and Brady immediately acknowledged that. We credit Brady regularly as a field general, and the point of your post seems to imply he is simply running a designed play that cannot and does not vary with reads. Hindsight is 20/20, and organizing a lynch mob against BOB because of his follow-on role ignores the basic reality that Belichick is well aware of what his OCs do, is well aware of his coaching staff's capabilities, and is the paradigm of success in running teams to championships. If anything you have ever seen of Belichick leads to the conclusion that he would allow a coordinator to accept a different job and run his team into the ground during the most significant games of the year to the team, then please point to those facts. BB cuts players with storied careers and runs coordinator roles himself as cold business decisions. If there was some issue he could not personally handle with the current situation, then he would hand the job to McDaniels and let BOB go. His decision not to do so implies all loose ends are addressed, unless you assume Belichick himself is acting out of his love for BOB and has lost his way as a head coach.

Last edited:
I have consistently said BOB was a very good OC with the Patriots.

He is in a different situation now.

Perhaps you should read up about 1) the National Letter of Intent Day and when it is scheduled and 2) The reaction of Penn State students/fans/ alumnae/former players to BOB's hiring.

This is someone who is under enormous pressure NOW (not during the regular season).

If he is so distracted then why would Belichick continue to let him coach?

Last edited:

No they didn't. Each had 2 at the time as coordinators. RAC had 2 more as a Giants ST coach... Weis joined the party out of HS coaching at the JETS, so he had no rings before he got here and even lost his playcalling gig periodically there.

No they didn't. Each had 2 at the time as coordinators. RAC had 2 more as a Giants ST coach... Weis joined the party out of HS coaching at the JETS, so he had no rings before he got here and even lost his playcalling gig periodically there.

By the time they got their head coaching jobs, Crennel had 5 SB rings (2 Giants and 3 Patriots) and Charlie Weis had 4, 1 Giants - (SB25 but not SB21) and 3 Patriots.

Last edited:
I'd quote what MassPats38 said, but I don't want to double post that wall of text. Good points, though!

Regarding the screen, I don't think you try to run them against the Ravens. Their LBs are simply too good and too smart for those to be successful that often.

In terms of defense, I think the Raven's posed a tougher challenge then the Giants. Offensively, we'll be fine. Defensively, I'm very concerned - but that's another thread.

No one is mentioned the value McDaniels can provide for the superbowl. Besides hopefully learning from his mistakes from 2007. He played against them in week 2. Of course they were a much different team back then.

I really wonder how much BOB was doing for his Penn St. job last week, and how much McDaniels contributed to our game plan/playcalling vs. the Ravens. Like I said in the "long bomb" thread, that particular play had McDaniels/2007 written all over it.

I know BOB has been running empty sets a lot this year, but it seemed to be happening at especially strange times during the Ravens game--I was screaming at the TV when they were going empty in some of those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back