PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team needs aside, who is worth #29 to you?

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious which players who are realistic possibilites to be available at #29 stike you as legitimate 1st-round talents. Let's say we rule out these 21 prospects who are gone by #26 in all of the "expert" mocks I consulted:

J. Clowney
K. Mack
B. Bortles
G. Robinson
S. Watkins
J. Manziel
J. Gilbert
M. Evans
A. Donald
J. Matthews
H. Clinton-Dix
C. Pryor
D. Dennard
T. Jernigan
A Barr
E. Ebron
B. Roby
T. Lewan
Z. Martin
T. Bridgewater
O. Beckham

Who else looks like a real 1st rounder to you -- regardless of whether you'd want the Patriots to draft them? For reference, some likely candidates who are gone in some but not all mocks include:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Jason Verrett
Kyle Fuller
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Dee Ford
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix
Derek Carr
Kelvin Benjamin
Demarcus Lawrence
Cyrus Kouandijo

Ra'Shede Hageman
Jason Verrett
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix

Ra'Shede Hageman
Kyle Fuller
Brandin Cooks
ASJ

Jimmy Ward, Marqise Lee, Ryan Shazier and Stephen Tuitt I'm on the fence with. If Ward played in a power conference I'd 100% be on board. For Tuitt and Lee it's a case of 12 tape vs 13 tape. Lee was injured and the QB situation changed in 13. For Tuitt he bulked up and it didn't work. If I knew I was getting the 12 tape yes on both. For Shazier the athletic numbers say yes but the tape doesn't add up.

If we hadn't picked up Revis and Browner it would be Fuller all day long.

I think of the players left the following are good enough to be selected at 29 and I would be happy to see in a Pats uniform.

Shazier, Mosely, Verrett, Cooks, Nix, Lee, Easley.

Easley has the pure talent to be taken at 29. It's his injury concerns that may push him down. If we could trade down from 29 and then trade up from 62, I would be happy to take 2 of the following in the 2nd round: Attaochu, Verrett, Nix, Easley, ASJ, Robinson, Ward. Attaochu and Easley would help our front 7 no end. Can then use the rest of the draft for depth at TE, QB, RB, OL, S.

I don't think Hageman, Tuitt, ASJ, Ealy, Ford, Benjamin are worth 29. Esp Tuitt, his tape is so underwhelming, just doesn't make many plays. Don't understand the fascination. If he wasn't Seymour sized then we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Ra'Shede Hageman-not really sure about him- he is a boom or bust prospect
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix
Kelvin Benjamin

Hageman
Shazier
Fuller
Verrett
Mosley
Cooks
Ealy
Lee
Nix

Are all slam dunks IMO and I could probably be convinced on a few others.

So far there seems to be decent consensus on 7 possible worth-the-pick players:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Jason Verrett
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix

I'd say that if the Pats make their pick at #29, that's a pretty likely list.

Shazier, Tuitt , Lee or Robinson at 29

So far there seems to be decent consensus on 7 possible worth-the-pick players:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Jason Verrett
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix

I'd say that if the Pats make their pick at #29, that's a pretty likely list.

If we're talking about who the Patriots would pick at 29, I'd add Allen Robinson. 6'3" guys that run a 6.5 3-cone have to be a consideration.

The guys I am happy taking at #29 if there is no trade down available:

Marqise Lee
Xavier Su'a-Filo
ASJ
Ryan Shazier
Jason Verrett
Kyle Fuller
Dom Easley
Louis Nix

Xavier Su'A-Filo
Louis Nix
Dee Ford
Ra'Shede Hageman
Kony Ealy

Ebron - TE
Lee - WR
O'dell - WR
Martin - OT/OG
Clinton Dix - S
Pryor - S
Dennard - CB
Fuller - CB
Roby - CB
Jernigan - DT
Shazier - OLB
Mosley - OLB
Ealy - DE

Are all no brainers for that pick

Tuitt, Hageman (due to pure upside) Bortles (cause he is a QB who I think will be okay... not great but okay).

I'm thinking if we stay at 29, we're probably looking at:

-Hageman
-Tuitt
-Pryor
-Shazier
-Nix
-Jernigan
-Ford
-Ealy
-Mosley
-Zack Martin

Guessing a trade down. Because this is such a deep draft, not the worst move we can make. Really looking forward to this draft!!!!

Really looking forward to this draft!!!!

Amen!

At pretty much every level, this is a difficult draft to project which will make May 8-10 very interesting. And I'm looking forward to round 8 (UDFA) almost as much as the draft itself.

Any other year and I would be extremely comfortable taking Jason Verret.

At 29 I am eying in this order Zack Martin, ASJ, Allen Robinson, and a Surprise pick of Davante Adams. I honestly feel that our defense is in better shape than most people believe. After rewatching the AFCCG 3x it was a lot closer than it seemed. DT was uncoverable after Talib went down and in the first half we decided that Collie and Slater were goto guys on crucial 3rd downs. So I basically see this draft as finding defensive depth and finding key guys to push our offense over the hump in the playoffs.

I think Bitonio will be a "reach" pick for either New England or Seattle in the first round both teams aren't afraid of reaching, he just seems like someone who in a few years time will be considered an elite Guard and people will be saying he was totally worth that pick

Then the more obvious choices:
Hageman
Tuitt
Shazier
Mosley
Ealy
Martin

LOL! I should have known it would be impossible to have an "ignore who you want for the Patriots" thread. Even I couldn't do it. :)

FWIW, I was trying to tease apart player caliber and team needs in order to take a longer view. While I know the 2014 Patriots have needs, with a 1st-round pick I'm more concerned about getting a long-term impact player -- the kind of guy we'll be building around 3 and 4 years down the line.

IMO the 4-3 DEs, the TEs and probably OLs available at #29 wouldn't be serious considerations if it weren't for perceived need. Ergo, I don't want them there. The highest caliber possibilities seem to be at DT, LB, DB and WR.

LOL! I should have known it would be impossible to have an "ignore who you want for the Patriots" thread. Even I couldn't do it. :)

FWIW, I was trying to tease apart player caliber and team needs in order to take a longer view. While I know the 2014 Patriots have needs, with a 1st-round pick I'm more concerned about getting a long-term impact player -- the kind of guy we'll be building around 3 and 4 years down the line.

IMO the 4-3 DEs, the TEs and probably OLs available at #29 wouldn't be serious considerations if it weren't for perceived need. Ergo, I don't want them there. The highest caliber possibilities seem to be at DT, LB, DB and WR.

Well, I like the creativity and the Angle of your Idea, but ~ speaking for myself ~ I was daunted by your Condition that an hand-picked list of Prospects were "off the List". That meant that in order for me to give you a useful answer, I'd have to rack my brain, position by position, toggling back and forth endlessly to see if I was meeting your hand-picked Criteria. No way in Hell I'm working that hard when it could've been far, far easier:

Were you instead to approach it by saying something like "Going by CBS's Ranking, with the following exceptions, because my studies tell me that they're realistically gone by #29", you wouldn't be forcing us to choose between working our assets off for no good reason or simply ignoring what seems to me to be a needlessly complicated question. We could simply consult the CBS Grid in one Screen, while excluding your Exceptions.

I, for one, would enthusiastically embrace the Endeavor. Once More Unto The Breach?? :D

Your Devoted Servant

Fanatical Yankee

Last edited:
So, you asking which of these 15 are most likely/worthy of being picked in the 11 remaining spots.

36 contenders first rounders seems OK with me. Personally, I would exclude Benjamin. I would add the following: TE ASJ, WR Robinson, OG - Yankey, DE Tuitt, DE Crichton, and CB Joyner.

I don't think a team fans should be greatly upset if any of these 41 were picked near the end of the 1st. Obviously, not all will be picked. Some will be available with a trade down.

I'm curious which players who are realistic possibilites to be available at #29 stike you as legitimate 1st-round talents. Let's say we rule out these 21 prospects who are gone by #26 in all of the "expert" mocks I consulted:

J. Clowney
K. Mack
B. Bortles
G. Robinson
S. Watkins
J. Manziel
J. Gilbert
M. Evans
A. Donald
J. Matthews
H. Clinton-Dix
C. Pryor
D. Dennard
T. Jernigan
A Barr
E. Ebron
B. Roby
T. Lewan
Z. Martin
T. Bridgewater
O. Beckham

Who else looks like a real 1st rounder to you -- regardless of whether you'd want the Patriots to draft them? For reference, some likely candidates who are gone in some but not all mocks include:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Jason Verrett
Kyle Fuller
Ryan Shazier
C.J. Mosley
Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Dee Ford
Marqise Lee
Louis Nix
Derek Carr