PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Heinicke to Pats?

Deshaun Watson wants out. Caserio is the new GM.
Im guessing itll take 2 1st rounders- this years plus next years. We have the cap space to afford him.
If Caserio decides they need to trade him- and right now thats highly likely- we HAVE to go after him. Hes easily a top 5 qb in the league right now. You can make a strong case hes #3- behind Mahomes and Rodgers. Hes only 26.
As Reiss suggested, you go after Hunter Henry( if hes not franchised) and someone like Curtis Samuel, a good and speedy wr who would be affordable. Those 3 moves make Patriots SB contenders again- w/o even factoring in the draft, the 2nd year step-up from Dugger,Uche,Gunner,Meyers,Wino,
Onwenu,JJ Taylor et al.
If Watson becomes available, theres no excuse for not going after him HARD.

Rumor is Miami would trade him Tua and multiple firsts for him.
Especially to block New England.
Watson isn’t walking thru that door.

Not so sure about that. Pats can at least match what Miami offers in draft picks- and thats what counts. Tua is irrelevant.
If Miami is ready to ship him out, Houston probably doesnt see him as a franchise qb. Pats have just as good a shot as Miami to get him.

Chris, I just saw the irony in my posts.
Youve always been known for lobbying
Pats go after every big name fa that ever hit the market, even when its impossible.
Ive pretty much been the opposite.
But this really is different. Pats are #3 in cap space. Watson is proven and young.
The biggest issue is does he actually become available? If Im Caserio,I do everything I can to keep him. But they say
Watson is adamant about leaving now.
Stay tuned

Seems like a guy the Jets offer a 4 year/100 million dollar contract.

Not so sure about that. Pats can at least match what Miami offers in draft picks- and thats what counts. Tua is irrelevant.
If Miami is ready to ship him out, Houston probably doesnt see him as a franchise qb. Pats have just as good a shot as Miami to get him.
Scratch that. I forgot Miami also has the #3 pick. If they offer both the #3 and #18, Pats cant match it. So fuggettaboudit

Really no way Watson gets traded here.

Heinicke was actually really impressive. Good reads, nice touch on some passes dropped over linebackers. Great toughness.

He had one good game, he has not proved himself in this league. He needs multiple games like yesterday to be considered a starting QB.
The Patriots next starting QB will be from the draft, might not be this year but definitely the following year.
Other than the top 3 QBs in this draft, there is a huge drop off in talent and let’s face it we won’t get a chance to draft the top 3 QBs. That honor will go to the Jags and Jets...we will have to wait for our turn the following year unless we get lucky with a lower round QB draft pick that turns into a starter and is able to perform. With Covid-19 the development of rookies is going to be challenging since there are so many restrictions and hands on training will be limited.

Chris, I just saw the irony in my posts.
Youve always been known for lobbying
Pats go after every big name fa that ever hit the market, even when its impossible.
Ive pretty much been the opposite.
But this really is different. Pats are #3 in cap space. Watson is proven and young.
The biggest issue is does he actually become available? If Im Caserio,I do everything I can to keep him. But they say
Watson is adamant about leaving now.
Stay tuned
I'm against moving for Watson.

He's a very good QB, but he would cost too much both in cap space and in draft picks. We have too many holes to fill, so when you look at the big picture it wouldn't be prudent to put all our eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket and have him throwing to Ryan Izzo, Damiere Byrd et al. As a team we'd have more success with someone like Mac Jones throwing to Hunter Henry and Allen Robinson. That's where we need to spend money. That and on the DL, so teams can't just run through us all day.

No thanks. When it comes to potential career backups there is no point paying market value for them.
It deepens if you think what you saw was his ceiling. I think he has room to grow.

I'm all-in on the Browns and Bucs.
I am petty and still haven't forgotten that loss in Cleveland in 2010 so I have an irrational hate for them but they are the least evil in the AFC right now

It deepens if you think what you saw was his ceiling. I think he has room to grow.

At this point overwhelming odds are that he is what he is. It is just that the game against he Bucs has not shown any of his numerous weaknesses. Give it 3-4 games and he will disappear into obscurity the same way as Matt Flynn, Case Keenum or Matt Moore.

So...the obvious question since the Pats don’t have a QB. I don’t know if he is a FA either.

I think I’d need to see more first . Obviously the kid is raw. He could be a true diamond in the rough and coached by Bill even more upside. Or he could be another one game wonder like Matt Flynn or Rob Johnson.

Either way he sure looks a lot better over the trash that the QBs we had last year could give us. Looks like a true modern NFL QB. We rip on the Bucs defense but it isn’t a bad defense at all. This kid did well against it.
recency bias.

I never said I wanted to sign him it was just a discussion and there’s a link to an article at the top anyway with the very same topic title. As I said I didn’t know he was 28 and we need to see more. Too many one game wonders in this league.

Also LOL @ thinking Stidham will ever have a game like Heinicke did.
Well, let's see here. Heineke, Trubisky, Mariota, Dalton, Newton, Brissette, Fitzpatrick, Minshew and any other also ran I forgot. No thanks. Except for Watson, Stafford, Garopallo(?), Prescott, we might as well stick with Stidham.

Another flash in the pan bum

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back