PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Heinicke to Pats?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
So...the obvious question since the Pats don’t have a QB. I don’t know if he is a FA either.

I think I’d need to see more first . Obviously the kid is raw. He could be a true diamond in the rough and coached by Bill even more upside. Or he could be another one game wonder like Matt Flynn or Rob Johnson.

Either way he sure looks a lot better over the trash that the QBs we had last year could give us. Looks like a true modern NFL QB. We rip on the Bucs defense but it isn’t a bad defense at all. This kid did well against it.

Last edited:
Well, I get the allure - because any QB that jumps off the bench and performs as a NFL caliber player is far better than we've had all year.
However, I don't really think he's more of a viable option than others on the list. He's barely played, but been around for 5 years. He'll be 28, is a bit of smaller guy... and while they can do it (Brees, Wilson...) He seems to play with a "Edelman" style which is great for morale, but might make his starting window short lived.

So...the obvious question since the Pats don’t have a QB. I don’t know if he is a FA either.

I think I’d need to see more first . Obviously the kid is raw. He could be a true diamond in the rough and coached by Bill even more upside. Or he could be another one game wonder like Matt Flynn or Rob Johnson.

Either way he sure looks a lot better over the trash that the QBs we had last year could give us. Looks like a true modern NFL QB. We rip on the Bucs defense but it isn’t a bad defense at all. This kid did well against it.

Thats the thing that is hard to say. its a one game sample size. even Gardner Minshew looked great for a few games. But the kid did look accurate and poised under pressure. Looked like prime cam newton on his TD run avoiding the rush

BUT he did look a heck of alot better than any of our QB's out there last night. to think he was on our practice squad. wonder how much he would cost.

Well, I get the allure - because any QB that jumps off the bench and performs as a NFL caliber player is far better than we've had all year.
However, I don't really think he's more of a viable option than others on the list. He's barely played, but been around for 5 years. He'll be 28, is a bit of smaller guy... and while they can do it (Brees, Wilson...) He seems to play with a "Edelman" style which is great for morale, but might make his starting window short lived.
Good point- I didn’t realize he’s 28. I take it back then - he’s not a prospect.

He showed moxie....read he separated his left shoulder on the pylon plunge for the TD and still finished the game. His teammates seemed to appreciate his game in the end.

No thanks. When it comes to potential career backups there is no point paying market value for them.
I don't expect his asking price to be more than a million or two, if not veteran minimum. All he did last night was earn a roster spot somewhere in 2021, not a starting job or even a top backup contract.

I don't think Washington will let him slip away. They're a quarterback away from being legit. Their defense is going to be top 5 for the next decade. The Patriots are more likely to end up with Alex Smith or some other high risk low reward veteran quarterback. And yes I intended to say high risk low reward... Belichick's specialty.

Eh, we had him early on... He flashed last night because there's no nfl tape on him and Bruce arians is a lazy, ill prepared coach... If he makes it back to the nfl, it's as a back up... Limited ceiling for him I think... Pass

This isnt the same league that Rob Johnson played in. The kid last night showed me all the tools it takes to succeed in the new NYFL. I would try to sign him. He's better than anyone else currently on the roster.

Eh, we had him early on... He flashed last night because there's no nfl tape on him and Bruce arians is a lazy, ill prepared coach... If he makes it back to the nfl, it's as a back up... Limited ceiling for him I think... Pass
Arians. I agree. I like you, @Pape

I don't think Washington will let him slip away. They're a quarterback away from being legit. Their defense is going to be top 5 for the next decade. The Patriots are more likely to end up with Alex Smith or some other high risk low reward veteran quarterback. And yes I intended to say high risk low reward... Belichick's specialty.
Washington will find a way to screw this up

Agree, hard pass. Once there is tape on a QB, and he is not passing against an Arians team, it will all unravel. Was he a surprise announcement to start for a reason? PatsFans posters like to say that Stidham sucks because the coaches see him in practice and think he is worse than Cam or Stid would be starting. Heinicke was on the Pats practice squad in 2017 and the same Pats coaches let him go. So if you believe in the coaches, like a lot of people here say they do and that is proof that Stidham sucks, than Heinicke is obviously a hard pass.

Last edited:
I don't expect his asking price to be more than a million or two, if not veteran minimum. All he did last night was earn a roster spot somewhere in 2021, not a starting job or even a top backup contract.

Historically, the classic backup contract starts somewhere around 3m and goes up to 5-6m. Someone will offer him a nice 2-3 year deal with a bit of guaranteed money after his performance. There is no way he will sign for anything even remotely close to vet min.

Historically, the classic backup contract starts somewhere around 3m and goes up to 5-6m. Someone will offer him a nice 2-3 year deal with a bit of guaranteed money after his performance. There is no way he will sign for anything even remotely close to vet min.

We'll see. I overestimated what Cam's market was last offseason, and I might be underestimating Heinicke's. I just don't see a lot of precedent for a guy at the age of 28 who has played 1 game (a loss in which he did not have a clean turnover sheet) after being out of the league entirely for 2 years getting much money offered to him.

We'll see. I overestimated what Cam's market was last offseason, and I might be underestimating Heinicke's. I just don't see a lot of precedent for a guy at the age of 28 who has played 1 game (a loss in which he did not have a clean turnover sheet) after being out of the league entirely for 2 years getting much money offered to him.
Only guy in a similar situation who popped into my head was Kurt Warner.

And no, I'm not comparing the two.

SMH. The "kid" is 28... He already spent time with the Patriots in TC in 2017 when he was 24. Over the Cap says he's an RFA but SportTrac has him as a UFA.

BTW, are you the same guy screaming and telling everyone what a bum Stidham is at 24 and claiming he won't amount to anything??

So is every backup qb that has a good game going to get his own thread about going to Patriots?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back