PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taunting Penalty Enforcement

Patsgofor4

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

I hate this. Penalizing over-the-top taunting is one thing but there is a good chance that the NFL league office is going to jump the shark and some mild taunting is going to cost teams games. We already have to hold our collective breaths on third down pass breakups by the Pats D, waiting to see if some ticky-tack defensive holding or INT penalty is called. Now we are going to how to add taunting penalty enforcement to the list of things that can give opponents a new set of downs. Just another attempt by Goodell and co. to turn players into emotionless robots.

Like all penalty rules in the NFL it seems, this one would be fine if there was any way to have a "strict" rule about a judgment call. But since it's hard to know how a ref will read a player's jacked up reaction to making a big play, we're left to wonder which ones will have a bigger stick up their butt. It's hard to plan around human variance.

Good or bad the game is getting softer every year with less hitting. IMO they should do the opposite and let them taunt. Nobody gets hurt and puts a little edginess back into the game.

Stupid rule that will only be enforced selectively at the worst moments. Imagine if Winfield's peace sign at the end of the Super Bowl affected the outcome.

They relax on the celebrations a couple years ago then backtrack with this.
I’d rather them penalize the celebrations than the taunting, were I to choose. The bowling and grenade tossing celebrations were stupid. Bring back Randy Moss fake mooning the crowd at Lambeau as Joe Suck professes his disgust.

EDIT: Cannot believe that “C.uck” is a censored word on here.

5jdpx7.gif

I’d rather them penalize the celebrations than the taunting, were I to choose. The bowling and grenade tossing celebrations were stupid. Bring back Randy Moss fake mooning the crowd at Lambeau as Joe Suck professes his disgust.

EDIT: Cannot believe that “C.uck” is a censored word on here.
One man's **** is another man's c.uck.

Words can be very hurtful

He said some very vicious things! My two favorites…

My wife’s up there, she’s making like she knows what the **** is up, I fire her down onto the ****in’ car.

Best way to cure this is to dish out the same as Ju Ju got when dancing on the Bengals logo

I don't really like it, but it ought to favor teams with more discipline. Like NE.

Yes, this should definitely favor NE. 15 yards and Belichick is a much bigger penalty than a simple 15 yards.

In my book, the best way to taunt the other team is to put up a lot more points than they do. So personally I'm fine with this as long as it is enforced consistently. Do your celebrations away from players on the opposing team and all will be good.

Every loosy goosy rule that is subject to ref POV and subjective opinion is just another opportunity for Gotohell to subtly influence the games for either trying to max the ratings or just to screw the teams he doesn’t like.

Unlike college, the NFL penalizes taunting after the play, even if it takes place during the play. For example if a player in the clear is about to score a TD and he taunts on the 5 yard line, in college the penalty is enforced from there with no TD. In the NFL the TD counts. I wonder if there was any consideration to changing that.

Are you sh*tting me? F*ck you Roger and also f*ck the p*ssies in the focus group who told you that taunting needs to be removed from the game.

If you can't flex on someone after dragging a pile 10 yards is it worth playing? I was going to post that clip. Absolutely insane. NFL has a great product but does a **** job of distribution and connecting to fans.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back