PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tankathon

if this board wants to take solace in anything. theres as much a chance that the QB's taken in the top 5 flame out and bust as they end up being quality starters.

the mac jones draft was supposed to be generational! instead it was generationally bad....

Just curious where you get the "Williams ranks in the top 10 of historical prospects which equates to an 80% chance..." Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be angry if he went to the Pats, but I just wonder about this whole "generational" (not your words but just in gerenal) business.

2 days ago, his replacement Miller Moss in the USC Holiday Bowl against #16 Louisville won 42-28 throwing 23-33 (69.7%) for 372yds, 6TDs and 1INT. Caleb against top 25 teams in the last 2 years had a record of 2-7 (0-4 in 2023), throwing for 68.5% 330yds 2.3TD 0.7INT per game over the last 2 years.

I didn't even mind the crying in his Mama's lap within the context. Losing to UW but going 27 for 35 for 312yds and 3TDs 0INTs in his final game... Yeah not a good look, but it's not like the GOAT didn't cry either.
I put a few links up in earlier discussion on this site with various GM's and scouts putting Williams in that area historically with Maye in the discussion at least. Though in 1 discussion 10 scouts said it was close and 10 scouts said they'd take WIlliams.
I used the historical rankings from Kiper, as he lists is top 15 QB's of all time going into a draft based on his ranking at the time. 80% of top 10 became good NFL starters, 50% all pro level.

Stats by themselves, in college are not that meaningful, especially in a small sample size. Louisville had a kick blocked at own 20, fumbles at own 20, Moss should have been pick 6 on first throw, was picked at end zone, thru behind receivers several times for large gains but separation was so big they still caught the ball. Moss made a couple NFL type throws but way more were bad than good on the tape and Louisville was not good on defense that day. On tape Williams and Maye are on another level. Maye never has a receiver with any separation.

There is a reason Jayden Daniels is the clear #3 QB despite having the bests stats. Stats are meaningful but only in combination with the tape.

There are a ton of examples comparing Williams historically out there but here's one from the Athletic:

Nick Baumgardner: The only certainty at the moment is that Maye and Williams, in some order, are QB1 and QB2. As Dane has noted, that order will depend on the team. I think both are capable of entering a bad situation next year and making it better pretty quickly, though. That’s not something we always say about the top QB in the draft. If we’re being honest, it’s not something we’ve said about a guy since at least Trevor Lawrence.

Honestly Trevor Lawrence was considered generational too....and he's just "okay". That whole draft was generational! And ended up being one starting QB who is okay and the rest meh or busts.

Mitch trubisky was considered a better prospect than Mahomes. Draft is a total crap shoot.

And until these guys actually get in the grid iron and face NFL defenses no one really knows for sure.

Ive wasted enough time watching the experts and gurus tell me so and so is a sure thing. Only to watch them crash and burn.

Finding a QB in the NFL is a lot of luck imo. San Fran blew all their trade capital to get lance and Purdy ends up being their starter. Last pick in the draft.

Ravens lucked into Lamar Jackson in the late 1st round and never stopped competing

...with strength of schedule updates, New England back in #3 slot, pending outcome of these games.

Because now Washington has faced a 12-win SF team, while NE faced Buffalo?
Maybe that edged Washington's strength of schedule up a bit?

Because now Washington has faced a 12-win SF team, while NE faced Buffalo?
Maybe that edged Washington's strength of schedule up a bit?

If the Dolphins lose to the Ravens that helps us.

currently in the 2 spot. A win next week could drop us as far back as 7 depending on strength of schedule tiebreaker. So I expect this stupid ass team to Win it For Bill and **** it all up
We need to start Nathan Rourke ... sorry Nathan someone needs to be sacrificed.

currently in the 2 spot. A win next week could drop us as far back as 7 depending on strength of schedule tiebreaker. So I expect this stupid ass team to Win it For Bill and **** it all up
Yeh. Dallas has to play starters next week. So Washington is losing.

Tennessee will likely lose

AZ might lose

Bears have first pick

Patriots might be 5th

Cardinals win!!!

I’m not an expert on the tie breakers but I know that gives us a fighting chance for a top 3 spot.

Tankathon is down for me. Has anyone been able to get in to see the updated ranks?

Cardinals win!!!

I’m not an expert on the tie breakers but I know that gives us a fighting chance for a top 3 spot.
They will likely lose to Seattle though.

I don't see how this Patriots team loses to Jets.

Kraft might tell Bill he can return IF Mac plays and some starters are benched.

Bill would never agree to that though

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back