PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tankathon

While winning the Steelers and Broncos games provides a moment of satisfaction, what really sucks is that is has screwed up the future big time.

We’ll look back at this game as the “Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison game” because it cost us a top pick for two otherwise meaningless games.

The problem is the clear conflict of interest at the moment. BB wants to get as many wins as possible to get closer to the record, but our rebuild requires as many losses as possible to get a better pick.

Last edited:
While winning the Steelers and Broncos games provides a moment of satisfaction, what really sucks is that is has screwed up the future big time.

We’ll look back at this game as the “Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison game” because it cost us a top pick for two otherwise meaningless games.

The problem is the clear conflict of interest at the moment. BB wants to get as many wins as possible to get closer to the record, but at the future needs as many losses as possible to get a better pick.
No the problem is we’re a 9 win team masquerading as a 4 win team. Things have a way of leveling out. Guys like Barmore and Zappe, coached by guys like Belichick, don’t stay down.

Fans put the cart before the horse fantasizing about a top 2 pick. The fans are the ones with the conflict of interest.

No the problem is we’re a 9 win team masquerading as a 4 win team. Things have a way of leveling out. Guys like Barmore and Zappe, coached by guys like Belichick, don’t stay down.

Fans put the cart before the horse fantasizing about a top 2 pick. The fans are the ones with the conflict of interest.

The Patriots have a Superbowl caliber defense. They have a offense that needs a replacement at pretty much every position. Top to bottom. Starters and backups.

If anything, this season proves you need a QB. None of this half assed measures ****.

Ok, I can buy your argument that they are ‘better than their record has been’ but still….

The record ‘is what it is’ and at 2-10 the season was already lost and you might as well ‘finish the job’ of riding out the year for the top two pick that definitely was more than fantasy at the time. In fact, it was theirs to lose…and they lost it.

Trust me, it’s a weird feeling being grumpy about wins but as fans a top two pick is what was making the suffering ‘bearable’.

The amazing thing about this thread and tonight's win is that there's a whole other thread here arguing which of the 3 qbs is best, and everyone has a different idea. Many think Caleb sucks and that Daniels is the best.

So, here's my prediuction: the Patriots will beat the Jets, pick 5th, and Daniels will rise during the combine into top 2 position, Caleb will drop to #5, the Patriots will take Caleb, and a lot of people will complain that the 2 wins prevented us from picking Daniels!!!

Unfortunately I think this takes Daniels out of reach for us, and the same goes for Maye, and it pisses me off. What a **** season, they lose when they need to win, and win when they need to lose. I don’t want Williams, I think New England is a terrible fit for him, he belongs in a dome. If the Draft goes the way I think it’s going to go then they are screwed, and we can look forward to years of losing. The optimism I had that they could fix QB in the Draft is pretty much gone. In other words your prediction is right, I think they ****ed themselves by winning that game,

We can still be top four if we lose out; top seven if we lose to the Bills. While I like the tackles, leaning towards a preference to trading down, getting a QB like Penix and extra picks to fix elsewhere.

We can still be top four if we lose out; top seven if we lose to the Bills. While I like the tackles, leaning towards a preference to trading down, getting a QB like Penix and extra picks to fix elsewhere.

They aren’t going to lose to the Jets.

The fellowship of the miserable, living in a fantasy future rescued by rookie saviors. Have another juice box, fellas, and drown your sorrows while the rest of us celebrate the Patriots WINNING two out of three. :whistle:

Unfortunately I think this takes Daniels out of reach for us, and the same goes for Maye, and it pisses me off. What a **** season, they lose when they need to win, and win when they need to lose. I don’t want Williams, I think New England is a terrible fit for him, he belongs in a dome. If the Draft goes the way I think it’s going to go then they are screwed, and we can look forward to years of losing. The optimism I had that they could fix QB in the Draft is pretty much gone. In other words your prediction is right, I think they ****ed themselves by winning that game,
Thanks for taking that position. Most of the people pissing and moaning want Maye or Williams. IMO Williams is clearly the best.

Most of the people pissing and moaning want Maye or Williams.
In my view, most of the people wanting Maye or Williams only want Maye or Williams because the "experts" have told them those are the best two options. Let's see what the Senior Bowl, Combine etc bring us in terms of tape/measurables.

The problem is the clear conflict of interest at the moment. BB wants to get as many wins as possible to get closer to the record, but our rebuild requires as many losses as possible to get a better pick.

Im upset we ended up killing our position as well but it is what it is. The team has lost so many close games they were bound to start winning some, unless theyd have PURPOSELY thrown games which no professional should do. The team is still fighting for each other and the coach and thats what you want to see.

We were honestly ‘lucky’ that we only had 2 wins heading into the Pittsburgh game. As bad as the team is they are probably much better than the record indicates. Injuries, mac being historically poor, and bad luck in general this season almost led us to a top 3 pick but it was too good to be true. My preseason prediction was 8 wins and I honestly feel like that is what we are under normal circumstances. Might as well embrace the #5 or whatever our pick ends up being, thats still a pretty big break for us.

You can always trade up. I also think Justin Fields is as good as these kids coming out.
An off-season of

1 Sign Tee Higgins
2. Trade for Fields if Bears draft Caleb.
2 and JuJu + conditional pick if we keep.
him. Not a 1st.
3. Fashanu as our LT for 12 years.

Mondre, Pop and Henry would look better in their respective roles. Keep Onwenu at RT.

Might as well embrace the #5 or whatever our pick ends up being, thats still a pretty big break for us.
Agreed. Should never have lost to Washington, Indy, Chargers etc. We've also been lucky with other teams winning i.e. Giants, Bears etc which has helped us remain up in the top few picks. We'll end up where we end up. If nothing else we will be building on a core group of players who seem to be tired of losing, unlike sad franchises such as the Browns, Lions and others who kept a losing culture for decades.

Maybe we just roll out zappe next year throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr. although we need to get to #3 to get him....

tankathon is over guys. we are beating the Jets. and even buffalo is up for grabs.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking that position. Most of the people pissing and moaning want Maye or Williams. IMO Williams is clearly the best.

Williams size and playing in New England both concern me. I don’t want a 6’ QB, and although I have no proof my gut tells me he won’t want to play here.

I have always been an optimist about the Patriots, and this is the first time I have ever been discouraged by a Patriots win, but I really believe they are going nowhere until they get a franchise QB, and I have absolutely no dea what decisions are going to be made about Belichick and the franchise going forward. I don’t think Belichick should have any say in free agency and draft decisions, and my best guess is that he will quit if they take that from him, I’m fine with that, but then comes the question of whether to try and keep the coaching staff and install Mayo as coach, or burn it down and let either Groh, Wolf, or both take over and choose the coach and personnel? And at this point I’m leaning towards burn it down, and let Groh and Wolf, or one of them, make all the football decisions. I’m really not interested in how to get them back to the playoffs, and just be a middling playoff team, and would rather see them make decisions to try and make them a great team again, and I think continuing with the current set up won’t achieve that.

While it's disappointing to see a top #2 or 3 pick slip away. All is not lost.

This team has a lot of holes they need to fill besides QB and picking top 5 in every round we should be able to draft a quality WR, tackles etc...even a flyer on another QB.

The fellowship of the miserable, living in a fantasy future rescued by rookie saviors. Have another juice box, fellas, and drown your sorrows while the rest of us celebrate the Patriots WINNING two out of three. :whistle:

(Drank out of another juice box)

Ahhh...nope, I don't feel better....

(Drank out of another juice box)

Ahhh...nope, I don't feel better....

Here's another juice boxer -- a SUREFIRE STAR drafted No. 2 overall -- maybe his example will make you feel better.

zach-wilson-watches-from-sideline copy.jpg

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back