PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tankathon

So we need Washington, Giants, Cardinals and Tennessee all to win 1 more game to give us the cushion of the inevitable Jets win at the end of the season right?

OK, say we have the number 2 pick and Williams goes first, what do we do? My opinion is take the best QB there but I can see reasons for taking MHJ or trading down for an extra pick or two but we don't want to trade too far down.

OK, say we have the number 2 pick and Williams goes first, what do we do? My opinion is take the best QB there but I can see reasons for taking MHJ or trading down for an extra pick or two but we don't want to trade too far down.
If Fields keeps playing well I think the Bears take MHJ or trade back. If the Pats stay at 2nd they’ll have the pick of either QB.

So we need Washington, Giants, Cardinals and Tennessee all to win 1 more game to give us the cushion of the inevitable Jets win at the end of the season right?
Giants will probably win another game

Washington & Tennessee might be issues for sure. They are just awful.

If the Patriots are 3rd, it's best if AZ is 2nd. I can't see them passing on MHJ. Patriots would not need to trade up at that point.

I wonder if the Krafts will be heavily involved in deciding which QB to take. Concern is that being 3rd or 4th, increases the odds of a trade down if the GM has full autonomy. I don't think trading down should be an option with a high pick.

There is some comfort in the bears picking first. They picked Trubisky and Fields. Good chance they select another bust at qb and spare us.

I would trade down far enough to take Rome Odunze, which will probably be 7-10 depending how things shake out. so probably take him at 7ish if we can since we won't know how things will go when we trade the 2. Then, using whatever we have from our remaining picks plus what we got for trading down I would put together some package to move back into the first round and take Shedeur Sanders, assuming he comes out. Anything after that is gravy.

CJ stroud will be in concussion protocol this week, if he doesn't clear it in time for the titans game next week that would help the titans chances alot.

After watching the Bengals back up QB put on a clinic with a sub-par OL and great WRs, I am 100% convinced Bill is tanking. There's no other reason for the Pats to be this bad. It has to be on purpose. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while, yet the Pats cannot find their way out of a wet paper bag.

Yes I know the OL sucks, the QB sucks, the WRs suck, the TE2 quit and the best RB got hurt. STILL, the level of ineptness has to be on purpose.
You're not alone. There's a lot of people that believe that. Thing is why?

1. Is it to finally be able to unload Mac over RK's objections?
2. To get a better draft position? That's very doubtful in my mind.
3. Regardless, there's a huge risk over everyone asking for his head. Unless, he's confident his contract makes it extremely painful for RK to unload him.

I don't think he's tanking. I think he's lost it and what we're witnessing is the end of his career, even if he stays. Item 1 still intrigues me. I honestly don't believe Bill liked Mac but RK for whatever reason protected him. Maybe Mac gave him a handy.

I would trade down far enough to take Rome Odunze, which will probably be 7-10 depending how things shake out. so probably take him at 7ish if we can since we won't know how things will go when we trade the 2. Then, using whatever we have from our remaining picks plus what we got for trading down I would put together some package to move back into the first round and take Shedeur Sanders, assuming he comes out. Anything after that is gravy.
Eh...don't come away with MHJ or Maye/Daniels?

They both look like they won't win another game.

Washington will probably win that game. So the good news is one of them are guaranteed to win. The bad news is a loss is guaranteed for one.
Welp, that didn't age well. Not only did the Jets win another game, they beat the wunderkind Stroud.

Welp, that didn't age well. Not only did the Jets win another game, they beat the wunderkind Stroud.
Yeh I didn't think the Jets would win another game. Patriots may get to the Jets game and be afforded the opportunity to beat them again. Without worrying about draft position.

Hopefully Tennessee gets Houston without Stroud. That might get them a win.

Speaking of Stroud, he has really come back down to earth. I think he will be a great one. But the crowning of QB's too early is ridiculous.

The Patriots are not going to TANK. The players have their pride and future salaries based on winning.

It's crazy what bad shape the Panthers are in now, and what good shape the Bears are in. Things can happen fast

If Fields keeps playing well I think the Bears take MHJ or trade back. If the Pats stay at 2nd they’ll have the pick of either QB.
Fields, even as he has played better has a negative EPA per play, he is too inaccurate, missing wide open guys regularly, and then will make a few plays no other QB can make. Fields is tied for most 4th quarter turnovers during his time in the NFL. He is in the PJ Walker, Tommy Devito level in the last 2 minutes of the half and the game with a MINUS 19.4 completion percentage above expected. He looks like a middle of the road starting QB that will tantalize you forever with his amazing talent.
Chicago just hopes he looks good to end the year, some team buys into it and trades them a good draft pick or 2 and they take Williams. They are not passing up Williams. The better Fields plays the more Chicago gets in the trade. They are not keeping Fields if they have the #1.
If they make a colossal mistake and decide to keep Fields, they will trade #1 for a big haul to a team that wants a QB.

Eh...don't come away with MHJ or Maye/Daniels?
I'd rather have two good players than one. Sanders knows what its like playing behind a ****ty line. He still threw for way more yards than Mac ever dreamed of, more TDs, and only 3 INTs. If we can improve the line too, even better.

I'm so annoyed we won that bills game.
I thought it was great. And when the Pats beat them again and knock them out of the playoffs I'll like that even more. Man it's great to be a fan of a winner. The funny thing is if the Pats beat the Bills and Jets again they'll be 4-0 against them but still pick in front of them in the draft.

Cousins is the veteran that I believe makes the most sense. They aren't going to deviate from what they want to do offensively. Even though they need a more modern offense with an aggressive play calling. To be here, or not to be here for BB is the question. Looking at at ownership like David tepper, makes me appreciate more the ownership we have with the krafts. This season made it emphatically clear of when a organization like ours doesn't have the QB your a lottery team.
I also like Cousins. Pick him up and see if a new QB can come from the draft. I don't think Bob would pay for him though

With all the injuries to QBs this year I think we're finding out that they're important but the overall team can make up for having a less than top QB. Unfortunately the Pats have neither.

Man , this tanking side is more exciting and intriguing than i ever thought it could be lol even on this side of it so many games to keep an eye on down the stretch.
It's like looking at it the way we used to only through a mirror. I bet Carolina fans are really good at it.

I also like Cousins. Pick him up and see if a new QB can come from the draft. I don't think Bob would pay for him though

With all the injuries to QBs this year I think we're finding out that they're important but the overall team can make up for having a less than top QB. Unfortunately the Pats have neither.
I do as well. He has a nice arm and never tries to over do it. Unless the team makes everything perfect around him like San Fran has done with Purdy. I was saying the same thing to Pape that thhe patriots are going to have to pony up for good QB play whether they want to or not.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back