PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talent vs. last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm a day early starting this thread, but what the heck ...

QB Brady had an off year. Should be significantly better than last year.

WR I'd rather have Welker out in the regular season and available for the playoffs than vice-versa. But that's an unfair comparison. In reality, we're starting with less Welker, but with the Holt upgrade, another year of experience for Edelman, and ditto sort of for Tate. Net, that's a downgrade

TE TBD

RB As of now, pretty level. I don't think the old guys are necessarily losing further steps, and Maroney is still learning, even if annoyingly slowly.

OL Everybody's growing older. This is a bad thing in the case of three starters, no biggie in the case of Kaczur and Mankins, and a good thing in the case of Vollmer and the developmental guys. Vollmer's such a big deal I call this a net small improvement.

DL TBD. Depends on the improvement of Pryor and Brace.

OLB Addition through subtraction dumping AD. Should be flat to up as guys settle into roles. Crable could help.

ILB. Mayo and Guyton are still learning. McKenzie could help. Should be better.

S Meriweather and Chung are still improving. Should be better.

CB I'll count the first-round rookie as an asset. Bodden has another year with the team. Butler should take a step up. The other youngsters might. This group should be significantly better.

STs Good shot at upgrading returners and punter. If McCourty is a difference-maker in coverage, so much the better. So we should see improvement.

Injuries Welker was huge for the playoff(s), and Mayo was playing hurt. Otherwise we had pretty good injury luck, after many years straight of the opposite. Could be a negative comparison. :(

Bottom line: Talent should be flat to somewhat up vs. last season. The chance for big improvements, however, lies largely in coaching and player attitudes.

After Day 2

I'm a day early starting this thread, but what the heck ...

QB Brady had an off year. Should be significantly better than last year.

WR I'd rather have Welker out in the regular season and available for the playoffs than vice-versa. But that's an unfair comparison. In reality, we're starting with less Welker, but with the Holt upgrade, another year of experience for Edelman, and ditto sort of for Tate. Net, that's a downgrade. Price doesn't change the assessment.

TE Watson never put it together, so Gronkowski has a chance to match or exceed him. But he obviously still has to prove it.

RB As of now, pretty level. I don't think the old guys are necessarily losing further steps, and Maroney is still learning, even if annoyingly slowly.

OL Everybody's growing older. This is a bad thing in the case of three starters, no biggie in the case of Kaczur and Mankins, and a good thing in the case of Vollmer and the developmental guys. Vollmer's such a big deal I call this a net small improvement.

DL TBD. Depends on the improvement of Pryor and Brace.

OLB Addition through subtraction dumping AD. Should be flat to up as guys settle into roles. Crable could help. Cunningham could contribute as a nickel rusher. And Spikes might more consistently bump Guyton to the outside -- but Guyton is still a JAG.

ILB. Mayo and Guyton are still learning. McKenzie could help. Should be better. Spikes seems like a nice plus.

S Meriweather and Chung are still improving. Should be better.

CB I'll count the first-round rookie as an asset. Bodden has another year with the team. Butler should take a step up. The other youngsters might. This group should be significantly better.

STs Good shot at upgrading returners and punter. If McCourty is a difference-maker in coverage, so much the better. So we should see improvement.

Injuries Welker was huge for the playoff(s), and Mayo was playing hurt. Otherwise we had pretty good injury luck, after many years straight of the opposite. Could be a negative comparison. :(

Bottom line: Talent should be flat to somewhat up vs. last season. The chance for big improvements, however, lies largely in coaching and player attitudes.

I'm not sure that we will have less production at WR

2009 Edelman/Aiken opposite Moss as split receiver
2009 Welker as slot receiver

2010 Holt opposite Moss
2010 Edelman as slot receiver
2010 bonus any production from Tate or Price

I'm not sure that we will have less production at WR

2009 Edelman/Aiken opposite Moss as split receiver
2009 Welker as slot receiver

2010 Holt opposite Moss
2010 Edelman as slot receiver
2010 bonus any production from Tate or Price

Whatever labels you put on Edelman, trading Welker for Holt is a downgrade.

On the plus side, Edelman will have another year of experience, so this could work out well.

The truth is that we'll never know; the change in Brady will probably be more important than the change in WR personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe