PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sweeney Using the Broom - Hamilton and Lucic Gone.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Not sure yet how I feel about Hamilton ... I think it's tied to future dealing maybe tonight.

Glad to see Lucic go ... if ever a player got fat and lazy on a team it was Lucic ... he had to go.

More to come ... right now we have picks #13 - #14 - #15 tonight.

Sweeney over paid McQuaid ... but again we'll see ...

If we can get something ... trade Subban while your motors running hot Don.

The Lucic trade was stupid unless Sweeney is shipping out Svedberg and/or Subban. They didn't need ANOTHER Goalie. They need scoring.. Something they have even less of now that Lucic is gone.

EDIT: Hadn't seen that Svedberg signed with the KHL because he felt the Bruins didn't give him enough playing time.. which they didn't..

Hamilton seemed to be a Glen Wesley type clone. Not enough to be the #1 but a good #2/#3 type defensemen.

I loved Chara when the Bruins first brought him here. But he's not nearly as effective as he used to be. They need to chop about 6 minutes of TOI per game..Chara was directly responsible for the 2 goals in the final 2 minutes of game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals that allowed the Blackhawks to win it.

Last edited:
i dont mind either guy being moved. but i dont like what they got in return for hamilton. they didnt get enough and there was no need to rush to move him. if another team made a offer to sign hamilton a restricted free agent the bruins would have got more.

Last edited:
did not care for Hamilton so meh on the trade. Lucic was one of my favorite Bruins so i am upset to see him go...but i understand the move. I don't like having to pay half his salary in the deal but whatever.

the 3 guys they drafted are studs and really want to see them on the ice for the Bruins soon.

Big changes for the Bruins, not sure that they are the best for this team.. but if they knew they could not resign Dougie, then it makes more sense..

Are they morphing into the Celtics??

the problem was the three guys they picked in the draft last night - Zboril, debrusk and seynshyn - are head scratchers. the team could have gotten conner or barzal. don sweeney single handidly destroyed this team in one night.

how much cap room do they have?

Last edited:
the problem was the three guys they picked in the draft last night - Zboril, debrusk and seynshyn - are head scratchers. the team could have gotten conner or barzal. don sweeney single handidly destroyed this team in one night.

how much cap room do they have?

Claiming that Sweeney "single-handedly destroyed the team in one night" is laughable at best.

They probably skipped on Connor because he is a nightmare defensively. Barzal, they could have been weary of his injury.

To say that the 3 players they picked were "head scratchers" is a huge over-statement on your part. Zboral was the 12th ranked North American Player. DeBrusk was the 19th Ranks North American Player. Senshyn seems to be a reach, but clearly one of their scouts saw something ni the kid, right or wrong.

The Bruins also added Martin Jones and Colin Miller. Miller should push for a job on the pro team this year.

The issue I see is that the Bruins don't any top-line wingers to pair with Krejci other than, potentially, Pastrnak.

The loss of Lucic leaves the Bruins without a decent winger who can play the body on the top 2 lines.

Last edited:
why is erickson kelly fartkoski and riley still on this team?

THanks sweeney...****ing idiots.....

You don't keep all 3 of those picks....you just don't. No wingers...still.... team is worse then last year no question

I am pretty much open to trading anyone on the roster other then Bergy and Krejci and Pasta

why is erickson kelly fartkoski and riley still on this team?

Bartkowski becomes an unrestricted free-agent next week.

Kelly is likely going to be bought out.

Ericksson is a pretty decent 2nd line winger..

THanks sweeney...****ing idiots.....

You don't keep all 3 of those picks....you just don't. No wingers...still.... team is worse then last year no question

I am pretty much open to trading anyone on the roster other then Bergy and Krejci and Pasta

You ever stop to think that maybe no one wanted to trade for those picks? Or maybe people weren't offering good return?

Pastrnak was moved to wing permanently.
They still have Marchand and Ericksson, but they aren't top liners.

According to http://war-on-ice.com/cap/BOS.html the Bruins are sitting at $59M. But that doesn't include new contracts for Ryan Spooner, Matt Lindblad, Connolly or Jones. It also doesn't include McQuaids new deal.

I don't follow the NHL prospects like I do the NFL and the draft but here's what the SI guys had to say about the three first picks.

JAKUB ZBORIL, D
ST. JOHN (QMJHL) | 6-2, 185

13-20-3 in 44 games
Pick acquired in trade with Kings. Zboril has the offensive tools, including a heavy shot from the point, to man the power play. He also has that nasty, physical edge that makes him a miserable opponent in the defensive zone.

• SCOUTS SAY: “Does his best work in the neutral zone. Makes a crisp, smart pass in transition and is just as effective breaking up the [enemy] attack as it comes out of the zone. He crosses the line occasionally [he had two suspensions this season] but that’s okay. He’s a hard man to play against..”

JAKE DEBRUSK, LW
SWIFT CURRENT (WHL) | 6-0, 176

42-39-81 in 72 games
There are echoes of his father, long-time NHL enforcer Louie DeBrusk, in Jake’s game—the work ethic, the competitiveness, the character—but he has a lot more in his tool box than his old man. He’s a gifted goal scorer who can create offense with his hands and his smarts. He’s hard along the boards and fearless in the hard areas of the ice. He has the potential to be an effective scorer from the second line.

• SCOUTS SAY: “There was so much growth in his game this year but it feels like there's still just scratching the surface of what he can be. There's a high skill level there but there’s a strong desire to improve every element of his game. I think his hockey sense [is one of his best attributes].”

ZACH SENYSHYN, RW
SAULT STE. MARIE (OHL) | 6-1, 192

26-19-45 in 66 games
Pick acquired in trade with Flames. A player who skated mostly fourth line minutes for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and was widely expected to be available deep into the second round. Nothing wrong with reaching for a player, but this feels like a total mismanagement of the asset when players like Barzal, Konecny, White and others are still on the board. Someone needs to throw Sweeney a lifeline. The water's looking a little deep for him today.

• CENTRAL PROFILE: “In 2014-15, Senyshyn finished second among Ontario Hockey League rookies in goals (26) and points (45) before being named to the League’s Second All-Rookie Team. He also posted a plus-30 rating to help the Greyhounds capture the Hamilton Spectator Trophy as top team in the regular season for the first time in 30 years. He added seven points (4-3-7) in 14 playoff games.”

The comments on Senyshyn are a bit contradictory but overall I like the sound of the players they drafted. A guy I used to work with is Canadian and really follows all the junior leagues so I need to track him down to get his take on the Bruin's haul.

Lucic needed to go he was lazy here. He'll probably have a great first year in LA especially since it's a contract year and then he'll revert. I'm sure they'll love him even more in his home town of Vancouver now that he's in the division.

I wish they could have kept Hamilton but I don't blame them for not giving him the 7M range contract. He hasn't show nearly enough to warrant it.

Losers
Bruins: Trading Milan Lucic, as they did to the Kings for a package centered on the 13th pick, was fine. Trading Hamilton, as they did to the Flames for the 15th pick and two second-rounders, was not. Hamilton is already great, and he’s 21.

Now, let’s say that Hamilton, for whatever reason, wasn’t going to fit in Boston long term. Maybe he didn’t want to be there. Maybe he wanted too much money too soon. Maybe the cap made it impossible. Fine. If so, you A) get more for him than the Oilers did for the inferior Reinhart and B) don’t mismanage the assets you do manage to receive. The Bruins seem to have done that.

The fact that they tried to stockpile assets for a run at one of the best defenseman isn’t relevant, either. They traded a player they shouldn’t have traded for too small of a return, then misused the return.

The kicker is that the 15th pick, forward Zachary Senyshyn, was regarded by virtually everyone as a second-rounder. Why not use one of those on Barzal or Kyle Connor, both high-upside forwards who’d slipped a bit?

Borb McKenzie‏@ADanielWagner
Quick reminder: the Bruins had picks 13, 14, and 15 and didn’t take a single player ranked in the top 20 by International Scouting Services.

Bruins are getting trashed almost universally.

Losers
Bruins: Trading Milan Lucic, as they did to the Kings for a package centered on the 13th pick, was fine. Trading Hamilton, as they did to the Flames for the 15th pick and two second-rounders, was not. Hamilton is already great, and he’s 21.

Now, let’s say that Hamilton, for whatever reason, wasn’t going to fit in Boston long term. Maybe he didn’t want to be there. Maybe he wanted too much money too soon. Maybe the cap made it impossible. Fine. If so, you A) get more for him than the Oilers did for the inferior Reinhart and B) don’t mismanage the assets you do manage to receive. The Bruins seem to have done that.

The fact that they tried to stockpile assets for a run at one of the best defenseman isn’t relevant, either. They traded a player they shouldn’t have traded for too small of a return, then misused the return.

The kicker is that the 15th pick, forward Zachary Senyshyn, was regarded by virtually everyone as a second-rounder. Why not use one of those on Barzal or Kyle Connor, both high-upside forwards who’d slipped a bit?

Quick reminder: the Bruins had picks 13, 14, and 15 and didn’t take a single player ranked in the top 20 by International Scouting Services.

Hmm.. Zboril is rated 22 overall and DeBrusk 29. (Didn't realize the ISS had started doing a combined ranking. Used to be North American / European)

That being said, the ISS is like any other scouting agency.. They get things right. They get things wrong. We can point to a host of Bruins 1st round busts (Colborne, Caron) and they were rated highly by the ISS>

Last edited:
Hmm.. Zboril is rated 22 overall and DeBrusk 29. (Didn't realize the ISS had started doing a combined ranking. Used to be North American / European)

That being said, the ISS is like any other scouting agency.. They get things right. They get things wrong. We can point to a host of Bruins 1st round busts (Colborne, Caron) and they were rated highly by the ISS>

Ya I agree. I was just trying to see how it was being viewed nationally. It doesn't mean the viewpoint is right and as we know from Patriot's drafts Vollmer and Wilson weren't top 64 players but both taken at the end of the second have had completely different success.

I don't mind the Lucic trade. He was already over-paid, and some stupid team would over-pay him even more one year from now; and who knows if he fetches the same return at the deadline.
Jones is now our #2 and should be able to handle 25-30 games while Rask rests.
Miller should secure a spot on defense and earn additional time on the PP as a RH-shooting point man. His size, however, will be a liability in his own end.

How much I like the Lucic trade is how much I don't like the Hamilton trade. There was no need to trade him right now, an offer sheet would've produced maybe 4! first-round picks,
and whatever he would be paid in the future would not be as much of an over-pay as what Lucic, Chara et al are being paid already, and he's only 22.
To top it all off, the players Sweeney used with those extra picks were not worthy of being drafted at those spots.
I'd rather have kept Hamilton this season while working-out a long-term contract, and let McQuaid walk (the per-year average isn't outrageous, but the 4-year length is).

Annnnnd the Smear campaign has started with Hamilton...leaks of him being "uppity" ect are coming out...wonder from where and why.....wow

i dont mind either guy being moved. but i dont like what they got in return for hamilton. they didnt get enough and there was no need to rush to move him. if another team made a offer to sign hamilton a restricted free agent the bruins would have got more.

The Hamilton deal seems like a knee-jerk reaction; not going to do anything with this guy (i.e. salary too far apart), so quickly- make a deal. Overall, this #9 pick- that does not come 'round often -was wasted...like the Seguin pick. Bottom line: When you draft here, you must insure that development is upward and that these players stick around. You don't draft in the top 10 to develop players for other teams. Let's be honest. Most looked past all of Hamilton's short-comings because they saw a future top-defender...maybe even one day being the B's captain.

And I get Claude's bit about some players not putting the time in, but demanding top pay. Of course, one of the advantages of drafting the said star players is to move through their development with contracts that are less than those acquired by players with solid/proven track record. Apparently, Hamilton believes he's there now. And this brings that salary cap part of the problem into play. If a team is going to commit to a $6M-$7M chunk, the said player better be worth it, else the team is frozen into a bad situation. Take a look at PIT with Crosby and Malkin; more than $18+ in these 2 players; 25% of the team's payroll. How to put 4 solid lines on the ice working from this point...yikes! FYI: PIT also has 9 UFA players hitting the market on July 1.

In summary, the Hamilton pick was wasted; a failure..like the Seguin pick and the Thornton pick. What is it with this team? Very few of their #1 picks develop and/or stick around. If that's the case, why have them? Just trade them away before you waste them!

It will be very interesting to see what kind of lineup the B's sport this year. And don't forget, injuries are part of the game. I mention this because they are struggling to put 4 good lines on the ice now. (They don't have any depth.) Look what happened last year when Chara went down.

I don't mind the Lucic trade. He was already over-paid, and some stupid team would over-pay him even more one year from now; and who knows if he fetches the same return at the deadline.
Jones is now our #2 and should be able to handle 25-30 games while Rask rests.
Miller should secure a spot on defense and earn additional time on the PP as a RH-shooting point man. His size, however, will be a liability in his own end.

How much I like the Lucic trade is how much I don't like the Hamilton trade. There was no need to trade him right now, an offer sheet would've produced maybe 4! first-round picks,
and whatever he would be paid in the future would not be as much of an over-pay as what Lucic, Chara et al are being paid already, and he's only 22.
To top it all off, the players Sweeney used with those extra picks were not worthy of being drafted at those spots.
I'd rather have kept Hamilton this season while working-out a long-term contract, and let McQuaid walk (the per-year average isn't outrageous, but the 4-year length is).

I was waiting for them to trade Lucic. For the past few years...he's been like any ole player that can be brought up from Providence. Take away a few empty netters and his whopping goal total of 18 isn't worth much. He's definitely a guy who needed the trade more than the Bruins.

Losers

For some odd reason, the Boston Bruins don't do well with top 10 picks. They either pick the wrong player(s) and/or neglect to get them on board after investing so much in their player development. If they're just regularly going to throw these picks away, then just trade/sell them beforehand...at least get something for them.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back