PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Survey: how much should Brady be paid for him to stay next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cusan

Rookie
Reaction score
considering this year's performance, it seems 35million is too high for Belichick, 5million is too low for Brady.
in your opinion, at what middle-ground value, can Belichick and Brady both make a compromise to allow Brady to stay next year?
I am thinking 18 millions, which is 1 million per game for 16 regular season games and 2 possible playoff games.
what the number in your mind?

Would be nice but no way Brady is taking 18 million.

The number the comes to mind is between 25-30 million which will leave this team with no way to upgrade the TE or WR positions.

The number the comes to mind is between 25-30 million which will leave this team with no way to upgrade the TE or WR positions.
I think your price tag is about right, but saying "no way" is an exaggeration. It would mean they'd have to make some tough decisions about some long-term vets. Maybe could spend top dollar once - is $10m/yr for Henry or Hooper worth it? (I'd cut Sanu and trade some DB depth for that). If they didn't draft well and some of the younger guys that are already in the building don't work out or step up to starter/regular level in 2020 or 2021 they aren't winning **** anyway.

Brady's contract flexibility has always been a great weapon for them to deploy to save cap space around the margins, he's also been fairly highly paid since he was first given an extension in 2002. He's been paid more money than all but a couple players in NFL history. His cap hit by % has hovered in the 10-11% range for about a decade (maybe longer?), with the estimation that the cap will be ~$200m certainly they can find a way to pay him in the top tier that he has earned AND keep the cap hit around that same range.

There is always a way if they have agreed to work together. That's what we really don't know here. What TB wants is key to that - if his position is "I want to play 3 more seasons and I don't care if that is in NE or not" then that's more difficult to negotiate than "Let's really get the roster on O right for 2020 and I'm all in, beyond that I don't know".

Usually 60% passers get replaced

Just saying

23-3o million is a good target range

80% of market value ...

With cap going up another 10mil the range will be 23-27mil.

This really is the elephant in the room.

If the team had the Fins cap space they could do a 1 yr/$25m deal and give Stidham another year to ferment but they don't.

All Brady ever wanted was the money saved from his cut-rate contract to be invested in WRs and/or TEs, yet all we had in August was Inman, Harris, & Thomas at bottom of the barrel contracts.

I think this is the issue with Brady and his contract. That and the fact they only offered him 1 year.

If he doesn't want $18M, he can retire. Based on his play this year and his age, his market is going to be much smaller than you all expect. Miami & Tennessee are out. The only viable option he may have is San Diego/LA & the Spanos family never bids against themselves.

If he doesn't want $18M, he can retire. Based on his play this year and his age, his market is going to be much smaller than you all expect. Miami & Tennessee are out. The only viable option he may have is San Diego/LA & the Spanos family never bids against themselves.
Thanks for 6 championships, Tom. If you don't want 18 then get out. Sounds about right. Give me a break. You guys are lost. Nobody makes 18. If you guys really think Tom sucks that much you should be asking him to retire not to stay and take 18. Again, look at the schedule. We will not make the playoffs with Stidham next year and you can not bring anyone else in for 18mil a year. No one that is an upgrade.

All Brady ever wanted was the money saved from his cut-rate contract to be invested in WRs and/or TEs, yet all we had in August was Inman, Harris, & Thomas at bottom of the barrel contracts.

I think this is the issue with Brady and his contract. That and the fact they only offered him 1 year.
I think this is speculation.

Tom is on record as saying all he cares about is winning.

BB has spent buku bucks locking up JE, Shaq and 1st Rd picks on Harry and Sony. He has also spent big money on the D which finished #1. He tried to get AB to confirm and he screwed them. They are only $3m under the cap.

How do you know Tom wants to be paid the difference? Did he say that anywhere? Are you saying he's a stats -oriented QB?

I think this is speculation.

Tom is on record as saying all he cares about is winning.

BB has spent buku bucks locking up JE, Shaq and 1st Rd picks on Harry and Sony. He has also spent big money on the D which finished #1. He tried to get AB to confirm and he screwed them. They are only $3m under the cap.

How do you know Tom wants to be paid the difference? Did he say that anywhere? Are you saying he's a stats -oriented QB?

AB came after the season began. Wasn't a part of BB's plan at all.

I'm not getting you on the rest. How does Brady wanting more weapons on offense make him a stats-oriented QB?

All I'm saying is that the lack of faith in Brady (one0year contract) combined with the bad construction of this offense gives him reason to wonder about the future of the team.

I'm not getting you on the rest. How does Brady wanting more weapons on offense make him a stats-oriented QB?

All I'm saying is that the lack of faith in Brady (one0year contract) combined with the bad construction of this offense gives him reason to wonder about the future of the team.
It's BBs plan to always a) have cap/roster flexibility and b) improve the team in all areas. Tom knows this.

My issue with your post is BB has a long track record of loading up the offense with talent. This year, like 06 it didn't come together but it wasn't for lack of effort or commitment. Some years are better than others and ironically enough the 06 team had a great D and went to the AFCCG. Tom may not like it but can he really complain about the results?

My point is like 06,BB built a 12-4 team . Injuries and AB lunacy are the issue. Not BB. Tom better realize that. If he doesn't he's a fool.

With that said Tom has 20 years of insight into BBs philosophy of roster building. It hasn't changed and it won't in the future. It's up to him if he still believes in BBs approach

Last edited:

Agree. I never got the sense that Brady cared about the money and what frustrated him was the roster circus and the injuries including his own.

Anyway, we'll see.

Freaking strange season. At one point early on I thought 19-0 was a possibility. Haha

I’m for either Brady or Stidham and spend the money on talent around him to help him grow. Anyone other than a rookie deal QB is going to be about the same cost as Brady.

It's BBs plan to always a) have cap/roster flexibility and b) improve the team in all areas. Tom knows this.

My issue with your post is BB has a long track record of loading up the offense with talent. This year, like 06 it didn't come together but it wasn't for lack of effort or commitment. Some years are better than others and ironically enough the 06 team had a great D and went to the AFCCG.

My point is BB built a 12-4 team . Injuries and AB lunacy are the issue. Not BB. Tom better realize that. If he doesn't he's a fool.

With that said Tom has 20 years of insight into BBs philosophy of roster building. It hasn't changed and it won't in the future.

We just disagree on his track record of loading up the offense with talent. He has only done that once, IMO, in the Welker/Moss days.

We haven't been drafting TEs, RBs, and WRs like other teams do, and this year to top it off, we actually didn't even have any backup OLs other than Karras (though I'm not going to blame Veldheer on Belichick).

We've had 3 separate seasons in the last 15 years where we had the worst WR core in the NFL. That should happen once every 32 years, not 3x in 15 years (2006, 2013, 2019).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down