PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise Preseason Personnel Move ... Who's Yours?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I was thinking about this given their cap situation and I'm not quite sure what they'll do. I thought potentially Isaiah Wynn might be the guy they might move, but I agree with everyone where I just don't think they have the depth for that. I also wonder if, knowing how Myers' camp must be thinking dollar-wise on a future extension, if they could make a surprise move by dealing him and taking a chance on Tre Nixon being the one who steps in since Bourne was so good last season. But I think we might see something odd happen and I'm curious to hear what other people might be thinking.

Harry somehow makes the team...again
Ugh...bite your tongue. I'm praying he has a great training camp just so someone else might be willing to give up a conditional pick for him. Otherwise, all he'll be doing in camp is taking reps from someone who should be getting them instead.

I think it's crystal CLEAR the Pats have been forgoing pushing cap space into future years. This was foretold by listening to Kraft's comments in Palm Beach. All of their moves have been geared to living within the 2022 cap w/o future year prorations. The surprising Mason trade was 100% about releasing cap space. There were no FAcy signings that required prorated signing bonuses. The trade for Parker was for picks w/ no restructure, etc.

The roster is 3 shy of the 90. I agree w/ Miguel, it'll be for low salary guys that won't affect the cap. Given the above, it makes sense they'll be looking at more trades to release cap space. The top candidates are Agholor ($10M), Wynn ($10.4M), and Meyers ($4M), maybe Godchaux ($7.5M). I doubt Wynn gets traded given lack of depth on the OL. Same for DL. Per Miguel they need about $10.3M, so to me it makes sense to trade Agholor but what do I know.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if either Meyers or Agholor go. Maybe Damien Harris as well.

Harris only saves <$1M. Why do that?
I don't think any of those players I listed particularly make sense to move, but front offices tend to see things different from me. We have too many RB and too many WR, and something (maybe) has to give. Because Harris only has one year left on his deal and we keep actively adding RB, I suspect he's the one the team is willing to let go.

I’d be shocked if there wasn’t one surprise move. My surprise cuts or trade could be:

Wynn traded
Butler cut
Mills cut
Myers traded
Harry somehow makes the team...again

Those moves would indeed be shocking... with the possible exception of Butler... we'll see how he does in camp
---------------------

surprise moves?
I would like to see them make some cap moves, free up some space, bring in Odell Beckham Jr... I dont think he really wants to come to New England, but if the dollars are right, it would be a good addition...

I don't think any of those players I listed particularly make sense to move, but front offices tend to see things different from me. We have too many RB and too many WR, and something (maybe) has to give. Because Harris only has one year left on his deal and we keep actively adding RB, I suspect he's the one the team is willing to let go.
We have two solid starting RBs, an older vet coming back from a brutal injury who may end up on PUP, an exciting 4th Rd rookie, but rookie RBs usually are weened in their 1st year. JJ is who he is and the other Harris is probably PS guy. Since we run RB by commitee, I don't see 6 RBs w/ 2 rookies as too many RBs, but you're right, who knows what FO thinks. The <$1M in savings isn't enough to trade our best RB imo.

We do have too many receivers. One will be traded.

Ugh...bite your tongue. I'm praying he has a great training camp just so someone else might be willing to give up a conditional pick for him. Otherwise, all he'll be doing in camp is taking reps from someone who should be getting them instead.
I’d prefer it finally clicks for him and he has a good year.
The top candidates are Agholor ($10M),
They’d eat too much in salary by trading him. They wouldn’t save $10M from what I’ve seen on overthecap.com.
Maybe Damien Harris as well.
Trading Harris would certainly be a surprising move. Harris is statistically a top 5 RB in the AFC. Trading him for anything less than a 2nd round pick would be idiotic.

Two unsurprising would be White and Agholor. Maybe, Butler.

Shocker would be McCourty.

Not so shocking would be Hightower, I’d be pissed, but not shocked.

If Harry makes the team? I’d be pissed and shocked.

White, Jonathan Jones, Bailey, Bethel, Guy, Uche. Saves about $14m if cut. Would I be surprised? Yes, but life would go on.

They’d eat too much in salary by trading him. They wouldn’t save $10M from what I’ve seen on overthecap.com.
Cut:
$10M dead cap & $4.9M savings

Trade:
$5M dead cap and $9.9M savings

He won't be cut.

Two unsurprising would be White and Agholor. Maybe, Butler.

Shocker would be McCourty.

Not so shocking would be Hightower, I’d be pissed, but not shocked.

If Harry makes the team? I’d be pissed and shocked.
Hightower isn’t on the team.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back