PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise impact players from 2020 team

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So, it seems like every year (probably for all teams, I just don't follow them as closely), there is a player from the previous year that was either on the PS the whole time, or only played ST, or was inexplicably active every week but played very few snaps, then has an expanded role the next year and appears to "come out of nowhere". Damien Harris this past year may not have been a complete unknown, but his impact was certainly higher in 2020 than 2019.

So I'm going through the roster to see if there's anyone I'm getting that vibe from, based on what we saw last year or just a weird gut feeling. No research, no expertise here. Just good ol' fashioned wishful thinking perhaps ;)

Here are my top candidates for 2021's "Who the F is THIS Guy!?" Award:

Rashod Berry - TE/DE who played mostly special teams, and who I can only really remember taking a penalty (I think on one of Gunner's TD's?). But the TE room is wide open right now, and BB specifically mentioned the possibility of him playing there when we were at our most injured last year.

JJ Taylor - I know he's a known player on this board, and some were even banging the drum for him to get more snaps than Michel during the early part of the season. But I see his true role as the 3rd down back, and if White ends up leaving we have a definite hole there. Fears seems to like the kid, I think comparing him to Dion Lewis? With a year under his belt now, could make a year two leap.

Miles Bryant - Had some moments last year, but I feel his versatility could be put on display more in 2021. We've got some older CB's, and Brooks as the #4 safety could definitely use an upgrade. Could see this kid getting more opportunities if he keeps taking advantage of them.

Isaiah Zuber - Rookie who came in for a handful of gadget plays and spent most of the time on PS. Similar to TE, the WR room has a lot of opportunity there. Even if we make a couple additions in FA, Edelman's health is a question and after Meyers we have no one who's job is safe. Perfect time for a 2nd year player to click with whoever the new QB is and come out of nowhere.

Who you guys got? Compete for bragging rights and claim your Who the F is THIS Guy binkie early!

Taylor and Bryant definitely could be those players. I don't think we're going to see much of anything from Berry, especially on offense where we didn't play him despite what Bill said.

Zuber could happen I guess.

I agree about Taylor and Bryant, in both cases because they are likely to be replacing departed players whether due to FA or trade.

JJ Taylor for sure and i hope he has a bright future in Foxboro

So, it seems like every year (probably for all teams, I just don't follow them as closely), there is a player from the previous year that was either on the PS the whole time, or only played ST, or was inexplicably active every week but played very few snaps, then has an expanded role the next year and appears to "come out of nowhere". Damien Harris this past year may not have been a complete unknown, but his impact was certainly higher in 2020 than 2019.

So I'm going through the roster to see if there's anyone I'm getting that vibe from, based on what we saw last year or just a weird gut feeling. No research, no expertise here. Just good ol' fashioned wishful thinking perhaps ;)

Rashod Berry - TE/DE who played mostly special teams, and who I can only really remember taking a penalty (I think on one of Gunner's TD's?). But the TE room is wide open right now, and BB specifically mentioned the possibility of him playing there when we were at our most injured last year.

JJ Taylor - I know he's a known player on this board, and some were even banging the drum for him to get more snaps than Michel during the early part of the season. But I see his true role as the 3rd down back, and if White ends up leaving we have a definite hole there. Fears seems to like the kid, I think comparing him to Dion Lewis? With a year under his belt now, could make a year two leap.

Miles Bryant - Had some moments last year, but I feel his versatility could be put on display more in 2021. We've got some older CB's, and Brooks as the #4 safety could definitely use an upgrade. Could see this kid getting more opportunities if he keeps taking advantage of them.

Isaiah Zuber - Rookie who came in for a handful of gadget plays and spent most of the time on PS. Similar to TE, the WR room has a lot of opportunity there. Even if we make a couple additions in FA, Edelman's health is a question and after Meyers we have no one who's job is safe. Perfect time for a 2nd year player to click with whoever the new QB is and come out of nowhere.

Who you guys got? Compete for bragging rights and claim your Who the F is THIS Guy binkie early!
Hoping Zuber since we're dry at WR.

Good post

I'm rolling with JJ Taylor.

He'll have 1000 All-Purpose yards next year.

300 rushing. 300 receiving. 400 KR.

Terez Hall looked pretty good in his brief play.
Hall did look good. Except if you ask Capt. Stone.. Then he was big pile of horse turd that should be discarded and never see grass again, never mind a football field..

I think that Herron fits this category. For being a 5th round pick, he came in and played with surprising poise and technique at both LT and RT. He showed that the Swing Tackle position will be his to lose at TC.

MOST LIKELY TO MAKE THE 2021 53 MAN ROSTER

I would say Hall, but Bryant from the list

Terez Hall looked pretty good in his brief play.

I considered adding him, but I feel like he played a significant amount of regular snaps last year, so wasn't sure if he would count. There's room for a 2-down thumper in this linebacking corps though, so if he can consistently hit the right gaps it would be a big help to the run D.

Good post

I'm rolling with JJ Taylor.

He'll have 1000 All-Purpose yards next year.

300 rushing. 300 receiving. 400 KR.

Having a reliable and regular KR would be tremendous. Patterson is a bit of an anomaly there, but having a guy that you always felt could break one at any time was a really nice mental thing while watching a game. It actually made me pay attention to kickoffs and not consider them an extension of my bathroom break.

I feel JJ Taylor can have a Deion Lewis impact on the team which is incredibly encouraging.

I think that Herron fits this category. For being a 5th round pick, he came in and played with surprising poise and technique at both LT and RT. He showed that the Swing Tackle position will be his to lose at TC.
Yeah I think Onwenu’s year somewhat overshadowed how awesome Herron was in his own right. Nice pieces to have when looking ahead

I think Gunnar did great as a PR, even caught a TD as a WR. I have hope for him going into next season. Seems like a tough good effort kid. Could really have good ST value, since giving our offense better field positions is really helpful

I think Gunnar did great as a PR, even caught a TD as a WR. I have hope for him going into next season. Seems like a tough good effort kid. Could really have good ST value, since giving our offense better field positions is really helpful

I still feel a possibility of sneaky Jules fate for this kid. Pro-bowl PR buys him time to slide in slot more prominently and possibly take over..

I still feel a possibility of sneaky Jules fate for this kid. Pro-bowl PR buys him time to slide in slot more prominently and possibly take over..
This would be a huge win, Meyers and Gunner working in the slot sounds nice

I'm hopeful for this, but I think we saw more things from Edelman early on that indicated he had potential, just needed to grow into the role. Gunner hasn't really shown that yet, though to be fair, he didn't have great situations the last two years (year 1 being a dysfunctional offense in general and year 2 having a dysfunctional QB). Still, even if he's not the next great Pats slot receiver, if he can be an Amendola type when he was the "4th" WR and made some clutch third down plays, that would be 100% a win for this kid.

This would be a huge win, Meyers and Gunner working in the slot sounds nice
Meyers and Gunner in the slot (perhaps plus a TE). There were 14 playoff teams. I'm not sure that this situation would be anywhere near average among playoff teams.

Meyers and Gunner in the slot (perhaps plus a TE). There were 14 playoff teams. I'm not sure that this situation would be anywhere near average among playoff teams.
I forgot to mention Edelman sorry. If he will get cut we for sure need a replacement through draft or FA. Meyers and gunner wouldn't be enough there

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back