PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Super Bowl discussion thread (Poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will win?

• Queefs

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Niners

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Ray Lewis killed a guy

Votes: 34 35.1%

• Total voters
Bad outcome either way.

KC stakes a legit claim to being a dynasty or SF catches NE in SB wins all-time.

I think that SF has the better roster though. Their secondary struggling vs. this Lions does cause some concern.

Bad outcome either way.

KC stakes a legit claim to being a dynasty or SF catches NE in SB wins all-time.

I think that SF has the better roster though. Their secondary struggling vs. this Lions does cause some concern.
I don't have a problem with KC being called a dynasty. They would be if they win.

Sf may lose but it should not be because of kelce. Have to double team him.

I'd prefer the Niners to win - or, rather, that KC lose. I think KC will win because I have no confidence in Shanahan under pressure. I voted RLKAG because.

Heart says 49ers but head says the Chiefs. KC just reminds me of our teams that made the other team do stupid things in ways that no stat can explain.

Heart says 49ers but head says the Chiefs. KC just reminds me of our teams that made the other team do stupid things in ways that no stat can explain.
Coaching… the real difference maker

Turnovers for sure, but I think the point stands that you can't spot these guys two touchdowns

The Ravens totally abandoning the running game with like, what was it three running plays on early downs? It's like they lost their freaking minds, that's not the way to win. Get a lead, make them play from behind
Harbaugh is almost as successful as he is stupid

How could it not? Been to the last three of the last four super bowls, won two, going for back to back Lombardi trophies... 4 super bowls in 6 years vs Brady's 3 in five... does have one in the loss column though... Potentially three rings in 6 years as a starter vs Brady's 3 rings in his first 5 years as a starter... has multiple MVPs already... Brady has a real challenger for his crown... He's not there yet, but is climbing the ladder... God I hate him...
I view Mahomes' impressive numbers in the context of what the sport has become. Quarterbacks are simply not ravaged as they were, and Patrick is working in continuing passing yardage inflation that his prolific predecessors Manning, Marino and Fouts did. What has historically separated the best at the position is intelligence, acumen, leadership and toughness. Today, the most important abilities have become ability to throw accurately on the run, which defenses are obviously unable to stop under the current rules. Deliberately, intelligently and effectively committing to running the ball and managing the game have disappeared.

Would Wayne Gretzky been as great a player if he played in the 50's or 60's? No. Mahomes is what we've got today. If he played for the Patriots, I expect we'd be deifying him. But neither he nor anyone else can ever make the flying elvis look less ugly or stupid.

I view Mahomes' impressive numbers in the context of what the sport has become. Quarterbacks are simply not ravaged as they were, and Patrick is working in continuing passing yardage inflation that his prolific predecessors Manning, Marino and Fouts did. What has historically separated the best at the position is intelligence, acumen, leadership and toughness. Today, the most important abilities have become ability to throw accurately on the run, which defenses are obviously unable to stop under the current rules. Deliberately, intelligently and effectively committing to running the ball and managing the game have disappeared.

Would Wayne Gretzky been as great a player if he played in the 50's or 60's? No. Mahomes is what we've got today. If he played for the Patriots, I expect we'd be deifying him. But neither he nor anyone else can ever make the flying elvis look less ugly or stupid.
Numbers don't mean much anymore and haven't for awhile. Even in Brady's era it was well known that QB stats were inflated due to rule changes. Marino is like the last guy with impressive stats because he still ranks high up there despite era.

You can look at it however you want, but it doesn't change the context of the argument. Sports always evolve, rules always change. Its never made a single difference to the NFL Record & Fact book.

You are now making the same argument that every Montana fluffer was making as Brady was climbing the charts, threatening his seat at the top of the heap. And the next guy who comes along, well, if the surpasses Brady, the Mahomes nob gobblers will do the same defending their guy...

Pat Patriot is a classic, looks cool, no doubt... but eh, I like Flying Elvis too...

Numbers don't mean much anymore and haven't for awhile. Even in Brady's era it was well known that QB stats were inflated due to rule changes. Marino is like the last guy with impressive stats because he still ranks high up there despite era.
Of course numbers mean something. Otherwise we couldn’t quantify, maybe not while comparing generational sports , but piers. My biggest problem with qbs stats are yards, especially YACs .. qbs shouldn’t be credited with zero of them.

Gretzky would have completely dominated in any era of hockey. Less today because everyone can skate. Those guys back then, even during the Great one’s reign were pretty much plodders.

How could it not? Been to the last three of the last four super bowls, won two, going for back to back Lombardi trophies... 4 super bowls in 6 years vs Brady's 3 in five... does have one in the loss column though... Potentially three rings in 6 years as a starter vs Brady's 3 rings in his first 5 years as a starter... has multiple MVPs already... Brady has a real challenger for his crown... He's not there yet, but is climbing the ladder... God I hate him...

Al-Brady
Peggy- Mahomes

"Al watches in horror as Peg breaks his bowling record."

"

I don't have a problem with KC being called a dynasty. They would be if they win.
What would be annoying would be the likely slobbering over Mahomes and TV talking heads insisting that he's already better than Brady. Maybe I should not be so overprotective about the Patriots and Brady's and Belichick's legacies though

What would be annoying would be the likely slobbering over Mahomes and TV talking heads insisting that he's already better than Brady. Maybe I should not be so overprotective about the Patriots and Brady's and Belichick's legacies though

I get the impulse to be indignant. What TFB and BB accomplished, and then what TFB accomplished even further in Tampa, are uniquely special and unlikely to be eclipsed in our lifetime. Even if Mahomes wins, he's still less than 50% of the way to just catching Brady.

Media and fans are used to having conversations about "the GOAT" because Brady kept that conversation active for the back 15 years of his career. It's the inertia. Everyone is a slave to the moment.

The meta between Brady and Mahomes is not new. I count the following "rivalries" discussed seriously over the years.

Brady vs. Manning
Brady vs. Rodgers
Brady vs. Montana

No one seriously debates these now. Or, rather, no one who debates these is taken seriously. Time will tell if Mahomes can truly catch Brady. He is already more impressive than Manning or Rodgers, but he hasn't caught Montana's pedigree, yet alone Brady's.

If Mahomes wins eight SBs, all you can do is tip your hat. It could never ruin my enjoyment of the six TFB won with us, because it will never touch the memories I have of all those awesome and unparalleled times.

Think back to when Brady had won his second title. And especially in 04 as we were counting up wins to the 21 in a row. We wanted to make proclamations about Brady and our dynasty and not just have to wait until we counted enough Superbowls.

Now obviously Mahomes still has a long way to go to catch Tom but if I'm a Chiefs fan or just someone who sees how great Mahomes is I'll be consistent and say it's about more than counting here so it's fair to put him as high as number 2 already. I want to see what happens in 2 weeks before I give him Joe but make your case it's a fun debate to have when you know who the king is.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back