PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suggestion: New Injury Protocol

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for some time. This season we've had a devastating injury (Edelman) and another related injury that will cost around 8 games (Mitchell).

This, coupled with the rise in ACL injuries, lately, has me thinking that the team should institute a new injury protocol that is similar to the concussion protocol, where a player that is suspected of having a concussion is immediately yanked from the field and taken for evaluation. If said player has a concussion, he can't return to the game, but if he passes the test, he can return but will be carefully monitored (or so the NFL says).

I think a similar protocol needs to be instilled, even if only in-team, in regard to suspected knee injuries.

The rule shall be, if a player is rolled up on, or otherwise gets impacted on the knee area, he is immediately yanked for at least one series to be evaluated for looseness in the knee, ability to cut, etc. he would have to pass a series of tests, and based on the results, he could return with a knee brace on, or be held out further.

The reason being: prior to tearing his ACL, Edelman was rolled up on, and was not taken out of the game, but kept on trying to play through it, which was a big mistake, IMO, as I believe that it set the stage for the tear.

Mitchell was similarly rolled up on by O'Shaughnessy, and like Edelman, didn't leave the game but had to also play through it, and we all know what happened as a result.

Thoughts?

A concussion is not structural and can be shrugged off by a player. It doesn't really matter how tough a player is with knee issues, because the leg is not going to work after a tear. It is a structural failure in the leg.

Welker more or less had the same as Edelman in Houston. As the article in current posts discussing Week 1 injuries opines, players are developing muscles/strength while the tendons and ligaments stay the same. The ligaments may simply go without warning when a certain force level is experienced. Sprains hurt (see Hightower) and limit significantly the player's ability to move, so I am not sure any player, particularly receivers, would be leaping back to the field with lesser damage with such frequency that the program might be justified. Concussions, when the player has full balance control, could easily be ignored by the player.

I've been thinking about this for some time. This season we've had a devastating injury (Edelman) and another related injury that will cost around 8 games (Mitchell).

This, coupled with the rise in ACL injuries, lately, has me thinking that the team should institute a new injury protocol that is similar to the concussion protocol, where a player that is suspected of having a concussion is immediately yanked from the field and taken for evaluation. If said player has a concussion, he can't return to the game, but if he passes the test, he can return but will be carefully monitored (or so the NFL says).

I think a similar protocol needs to be instilled, even if only in-team, in regard to suspected knee injuries.

The rule shall be, if a player is rolled up on, or otherwise gets impacted on the knee area, he is immediately yanked for at least one series to be evaluated for looseness in the knee, ability to cut, etc. he would have to pass a series of tests, and based on the results, he could return with a knee brace on, or be held out further.

The reason being: prior to tearing his ACL, Edelman was rolled up on, and was not taken out of the game, but kept on trying to play through it, which was a big mistake, IMO, as I believe that it set the stage for the tear.

Mitchell was similarly rolled up on by O'Shaughnessy, and like Edelman, didn't leave the game but had to also play through it, and we all know what happened as a result.

Thoughts?

Its an interesting suggestion.

Not a doctor but no question sprains and hyperextensions at some level structurally compromise the surrounding area adding greater risk of the player experiencing a more severe injury.

As much as it hurt the D, Pats did the right thing by taking out High because of what happened to his MCL.

Not sure if they followed that protocol with MM or JE11 if it would have helped? Maybe?

With that said I speculate the sheer volume of injuries (both spotted or though the player policing themselves would be overwhelming.

i like the suggestions. I almost want to add "no preseason for veteran players." But I realize they need some kinda of game experience before the season starts. Its just move frustrating when a guy gets hurt in a game that doesn't count.

Well, a start might be to reduce the pre-season games to 3. Period.

Instead, add in joint practices with other teams. Get a feel for the game against players NOT on your team.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back