PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Successful BB Midseason Offensive Player Acquisitions?

Jim Beankie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
BB's definitely had his successes with getting midseason D help. However, whom would you consider a better than Meh player midseason acquisition (trade/FA) by Belichick on the Offensive side of the ball? Gordon, though briefly electric at times, was frankly a disappointment. DBranch when he came back was ok. Gaffney had a stellar playoffs in 2006. Solder [edit: oops - this is incorrect - it was his pick that we got - Brian Waters is more applicable] and Dorsett were acquired just before Week 1, so they don't count. Not sure about other OLine pickups.

Last edited:
Wonder if the Pats ever won a ring or made a SB trip when they had to make a move like this. Can't think of one.

We're not winning the super bowl this year anyway, so I wouldn't trade away any assets unless it's a player that is hitting free agency...continue to develop young talent around Mac so that the team is in position to win the super bowl next year and beyond.

Last edited:
Wonder if the Pats ever won a ring or made a SB trip when they had to make a move like this. Can't think of one.
Well I can say they never won a superbowl when they had to spend billions in free agency, mainly because they never really do that. Its a new world.

The obvious reason why this doesn't happen is because of the complexity of the system. I do think the Gaffney/Dorsett examples are the best ones, outside of some half baked Cliff Polite FB move back in 2011 that didn't really last.

Much easier to plug and play a spot player on D who can have a big impact by giving them a simplified role. He did this beautifully in 2014 and 2016, and teams really don't do this stuff. Part of it is the moronitude in spending to the cap and not leaving some "operating budget" room available and part of it is, it's hard to pull off.

BB's definitely had his successes with getting midseason D help. However, whom would you consider a better than Meh player midseason acquisition (trade/FA) by Belichick on the Offensive side of the ball? Gordon, though briefly electric at times, was frankly a disappointment. DBranch when he came back was ok. Gaffney had a stellar playoffs in 2006. Solder and Dorsett were acquired just before Week 1, so they don't count. Not sure about other OLine pickups.
I think you mean Brian Waters and not Solder, and he would far and away be the biggest success. As you note, prior to week 1, but without any training camp practices here.

Michael Flloyd looked like a gift for two really cool plays.

Heath Evans was pretty good his first game, and became enough of a contributor over a few seasons that people would mostly identify him as a patriots player.

Michael Flloyd looked like a gift for two really cool plays.

Heath Evans was pretty good his first game, and became enough of a contributor over a few seasons that people would mostly identify him as a patriots player.

Michael Floyd's sick AF block to spring Jules.

BB's definitely had his successes with getting midseason D help. However, whom would you consider a better than Meh player midseason acquisition (trade/FA) by Belichick on the Offensive side of the ball? Gordon, though briefly electric at times, was frankly a disappointment. DBranch when he came back was ok. Gaffney had a stellar playoffs in 2006. Solder and Dorsett were acquired just before Week 1, so they don't count. Not sure about other OLine pickups.
What are you talking about in reference to SOLDER? He was drafted by the Patriots.
It's extremely hard to add an offensive player mid-season and have them be successful beyond Meh..

November 2012.
Aqib Talib and a 7th round pick from Bucs
Patriots gave up a 4th round pick

Edit: Defensive player but a steal
Van Noy for a 6th might have been even better, but that was a great one.

Throwing items at your head as you run out the door.

After Brady told BB to go get him, I remember almost all of the national talking heads said it made NE a lock for the AFC title game and a possible SB favorite with the loaded #1 D and their STs.

It wasn't for a sake of trying or BB not supporting Brady.

After Brady told BB to go get him, I remember almost all of the national talking heads said it made NE a lock for the AFC title game and a possible SB favorite with the loaded #1 D and their STs.

It wasn't for a sake of trying or BB not supporting Brady.

Nope. Stop. Show me a news link where Brady said to get Sanu. What I'm seeing is Dumb and Dumber roommates from John Carroll from 2013-2019 wasting important capital for Sanu, Harry, Michel and blowing it all, causing Tom to say F it and go to Tampa.

but to the point of BB, absolutely BB demonstrated his willingness to bolster the offense. He just got the worst advice ever from Dumb and Dumber (John Carroll roommates)

What are you talking about in reference to SOLDER? He was drafted by the Patriots.
It's extremely hard to add an offensive player mid-season and have them be successful beyond Meh..
Sorry - thanks - massive brain fart misreading a trade (for the pick from the Raiders). I'd say not sure how I can make that mistake, but my brain is pretty darn gassy.

Well I can say they never won a superbowl when they had to spend billions in free agency, mainly because they never really do that. Its a new world.

How would they have met their obligation to spend somewhere near the salary cap without spending a lot in this off season? They were way below it. Players weren't going to take one year deals.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back