PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Successful BB Midseason Offensive Player Acquisitions?

Excuses… all this played out in real-time.

You sticking your head in the sand because it paints a picture of Tom that’s thoroughly human is the only reimagining happening here.

It’s only dwarfed by you trying to twist the history of how AB blew up his opportunity here and how he’s actually a misunderstood nice guy… good grief.

You lost.

I was ecstatic as well. The logic of the picks for me was that the team needed explosive players to keep up with the Colts after losing to them 3 straight times. While D’Angelo Williams was the best prospect after Bush, he had a ton of mileage on him and would’ve been a risk. Maroney was the explosive back with low mileage, but his red flag was lack of competition running through Grand Canyon sized holes.

Greg Jennings was clearly the best WR after Santanio Holmes. However, the knock on him was whether he could separate at the Pro level. Sound familiar?

Enter Chad Jackson, the physical freak who’s stock rose after his 4.3 40 time and being a combine warrior. He also had some video catching everything thrown his way by the jugs machine. The knock on him was boom bust potential and not enough college production. Sounds very similar to DK Metcalf.

Those 2005-09 drafts are arguably the biggest reason for the 10 year drought.

2005-2008 and 2013-2019, which are the worst drafts of BB's tenure, coincide with same oc here. Worst talent evaluator ever.

2005-2008 and 2013-2019, which are the worst drafts of BB's tenure, coincide with same oc here. Worst talent evaluator ever.
It’s wild how someone can be incomparably successful beyond imagining and also suck.

First world Patriot problems

It’s wild how someone can be incomparably successful beyond imagining and also suck.

First world Patriot problems

Yea. I think Brady would have won even more rings if we didn't have totally sucky drafts from 2005-2008. Fortunately the last 3 rings they did well from 2009-2012 to draft multiple foundational players before Dumb and Dumber came back. But players started getting older and the cupboard wasn't replenished, I bet in 2019 Brady was like f all this I'm out.

Yea. I think Brady would have won even more rings if we didn't have totally sucky drafts from 2005-2008. Fortunately the last 3 rings they did well from 2009-2012 to draft multiple foundational players before Dumb and Dumber came back. But players started getting older and the cupboard wasn't replenished, I bet in 2019 Brady was like f all this I'm out.
If I have to explain to you how spending 1.87% of their salary cap (now) on the entire QB room allows BB to spend 200 million in the offseason versus spending 20% of their cap on a single QB from 2005-2013... then maybe talking football finances isn't for you.

When you pay your franchise caliber QB a massive deal, it shrinks the margin for victory. It's really simple.

This utopia where any GM hits on 70-100% of his draft picks doesn't exist. The draft is a crapshoot. The majority of those Patriot teams from the winningest team in NFL history were made up of homegrown talent, draftees and UDFA's. He isn't good at drafting but bad at it when it when it suits you, and blaming John Carroll coaches is absurd.

Those 2005-2013 teams had less depth, less room for error. Like when they paid Ty Warren (great draft pick) a building block sized contract then he suffered a career ending hip injury immediately after... that hurt them bad. We had to watch stiff Kyle Love at DT for the next couple years next to Wilfork... and it wasn't because BB was being cheap or is bad at his job.

The NFL cap escapes many, that's why many don't understand team building and we're subjected to these half-baked takes.

If the Pats have another losing season they need a new OC, period. That would be 4 different seasons without brady where the oc is exposed as being a fraud without the goat.

The notion that I have to make “excuses” for unmitigated success is absurd.

Yes there have been bad draft classes, there have also been great ones. Then there were players like Maroney who were good players who got injured. They got Mankins and Ghost in those drafts you cite. Want to see some bad drafts, go look at Bill Walsh’s drafts, and he is known as the godfather of drafting.

There were also a fair share of UDFA’s who worked out from those classes. About a third of the league is made up of these guys.

The cap is a financial certainty, there’s no opinion involved at all and the draft is one tool used to build a roster. You can’t rely on the draft for your entire roster. The best coaches in history hit on 30% of their picks in their best draft classes. The Pats have won more rings than any team in history… there’s no precedent for it. This is the epitome of fan entitlement.

This Josh McDaniels obsession of yours is weird.

The notion that I have to make “excuses” for unmitigated success is absurd.

Yes there have been bad draft classes, there have also been great ones. Then there were players like Maroney who were good players who got injured. They got Mankins and Ghost in those drafts you cite. Want to see some bad drafts, go look at Bill Walsh’s drafts, and he is known as the godfather of drafting.

There were also a fair share of UDFA’s who worked out from those classes. About a third of the league is made up of these guys.

The cap is a financial certainty, there’s no opinion involved at all and the draft is one tool used to build a roster. You can’t rely on the draft for your entire roster. The best coaches in history hit on 30% of their picks in their best draft classes. The Pats have won more rings than any team in history… there’s no precedent for it. This is the epitome of fan entitlement.

This Josh McDaniels obsession of yours is weird.

Maroney was not a good draft pick. More excuses.

And going to the # rings, BB is the goat but there is a strong relationships between draft drought and subsequent ring draught. Have to draft well to be a contender. Draft poorly too many years in a row and we become like the Denver'10 Broncos, StLouis'11 Rams, and NE'19/20 Patriots.

Maroney was not a good draft pick. More excuses.

And going to the # rings, BB is the goat but there is a strong relationships between draft drought and subsequent ring draught. Have to draft well to be a contender. Draft poorly too many years in a row and we become like the Denver'10 Broncos, StLouis'11 Rams, and NE'19/20 Patriots.
A big reason the 2007 offense was dangerous was a RB who was fast and was a danger to rip off long runs, he had to be accounted for. He developed chronic shoulder problems. Let me know which rookies from this draft class are going to get injured now, it would really help my fantasy football team?

If HT plays like this all year (prolly won’t), I’m worried about LB.

Would y’all say bb has made better moves at LB or Safety since ‘01?

If HT plays like this all year (prolly won’t), I’m worried about LB.

Would y’all say bb has made better moves at LB or Safety since ‘01?
Bill is still looking for the LB of his dreams. The second coming of LT is turning out to be very hard to find!

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back