PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stupid rant time: "old school" jerseys

I’m still partial to those royal blue uniforms. That’s the era I first fell in love with this team, right from when Drew Bledsoe was drafted. Ben Coates and Chris Slade and Big Play Willie Clay and Curtis My Favorite Martin and Sam Gash and all those guys. Bledsoe’s passing record against the Vikings. That “Jambalaya” season. Those Tuna Bowl grudge matches afterward. The Henry Jones game. Pats didn’t win quite as much but I still had fun following them. Often pick those alternates when playing Madden.
Don't begrudge you the privilege of thrills growing up. If GB, PIT, SF, DAL, KC etc. had replaced theirs, young fans would have embraced them along with recent success to some degree. But old fans established for decades would be aghast. I cringe each and every time I see the logo and uniform same way since '93.

Bring back Pat Patriot
I concur.

ZYI6s.jpg

Sorry to say it, but Pat Patriot isn't walking through that door.

Bring back Pat Patriot
Not as a helmet logo. Pat Patriot is fun, but as a uniform or helmet logo he was an absolute mess. Unless you already knew what you were looking at, you had no way of making him out, especially because the Patriots wore white helmets, which basically made Pat blend in with the background.

Not wedded to the Flying Elvis, but Pat had to go as a helmet logo. easily least attractive logo in the NFL at the time.

@Actual Pats Fan could you take a look into this for us?
Here's the deal:

18 teams had awesome, cool helmets, jerseys, logos and uniforms in the 70's and at some point replaced them with something ghastly.

So, we have lots of company. That's a majority of teams in the league right now.

Some were just horrific mutations of their classics, like the Browns, Vikings, Saints, Lions, Cardinals, Bills, Chargers.

Ours were obviously one of the total destructions replaced by something unspeakably hideous.

Unless you already knew what you were looking at, you had no way of making him out, especially because the Patriots wore white helmets, which basically made Pat blend in with the background.
Yeah this is all a blur

1618432589552.png
Not wedded to the Flying Elvis, but Pat had to go as a helmet logo. easily least attractive logo in the NFL at the time.
Yeah we only made second all time

Attachments

• 1618432539991.png
    1618432539991.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bring back Pat Patriot
I imagine this was taken maybe right before Orthwein screwed us, but I have never seen Bill happier (or look better) in his tenure as our head coach.
1618432925344.png
A few years ago, I learned that the very first thing Parcells did when he arrived as Jets coach was to restore their logo and uniforms from their glory days. Her insisted on a 'winning look, a championship look'.

Most of the old school Patriots unis were hideous. The navy and silver is a HUGE improvement on older looks.

Also, Pat was holding the franchise back. Pat is a good graphic and part of our history but he made a terrible, awful logo. It's way too complicated. From 10 or more yards away he's absolutely indecipherable, especially on a white helmet, you can't figure out what that is on the side of the helmet unless you already know, which defeats the whole point of a logo. In that sense even the rose Buccaneer was a better logo than poor old Pat.

Pat's a fantastic mascot. He should have never been the logo of a football team. A football with a tricorn hat would have been a better logo than Pat
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Just like Tom Brady. He's hideous. Cam or anybody else is a HUGE improvement on him.

Also, Tom was holding the franchise back. Tom is a good graphic and part of our history this century but he made a terrible, awful quarterback. He's way too slow. Cam picked up almost as many yards on the ground last year as Tom did his entire time here. For more than one yard he's absolutely incapable, especially on the road. Look at his combine stats. You can't figure out what he's going to do at the line of scrimmage unless you already know, which defeats the whole point of a quarterback.

So what if even opponents acknowledge him as the GOAT. They also liked our old logo too. Who cares about their opinion, or that of entire filled Foxborough stadiums with cheering Patriots fans, for that matter. They're all wrong.

Was he ever as popular as Roger Staubach or Joe Montana? No. Entirely his fault the Patriots were the only team to scout or draft him. He could have just played in Canada, like Doug Flutie.

And he cheated worse than Lance Armstrong, based on his mealy-mouthed response to the media on the question. He destroyed [not replaced] his cell phone. His suspension was upheld by a federal court. His excuse for not appealing that it could have kept him out of participation in playoff games is arrogant and presumptuous. It is documented that it is 'more probable than not' that Tom Brady was 'generally aware' of a conspiracy to circumvent rules and manipulate footballs.

In that sense even Ryan Leaf was a better quarterback than poor old Tom.

His attitude in post game press conferences was poor his last season here. He even skipped OTA's.

Tom's a fantastic person. Like Flutie, he should have never been the quarterback of an NFL football team. A straw scarecrow with a tricorn hat would have been a better quarterback than Tom.

I imagine this was taken maybe right before Orthwein screwed us, but I have never seen Bill happier (or look better) in his tenure as our head coach.
View attachment 32145
A few years ago, I learned that the very first thing Parcells did when he arrived as Jets coach was to restore their logo and uniforms from their glory days. Her insisted on a 'winning look, a championship look'.
They still had their Bruce Coslet era uniforms for Parcells’ first season with the team.

6D8328B1-E6DC-4935-AC01-1B1BDE7FDC8E.jpeg

They still had their Bruce Coslet era uniforms for Parcells’ first season with the team.

View attachment 32147
Thanks, league mandates a waiting period for updates [which they conveniently overrode for Orthwein in '93. It's true]. "...Sure, you want to humiliate and desecrate the Patriots before you move the franchise to St. Louis? Be our guest! After all, like Tagliabue said, the Patriots 'damaged the league'..."

Last edited:
Thanks, league mandates a waiting period for updates [which they conveniently overrode for Orthwein in '93. It's true. "...Sure, you want to humiliate and desecrate the Patriots before you move the franchise to St. Louis? Be our guest! After all, like Tagliabue said, the Patriots 'damaged the league'..."
Not only did the Tuna want to shop for the groceries, he wanted to get the clothes as well! Guess we should be glad he didn’t get his choice of groceries in ‘96 because the guy he wanted, Tony Brackens, fell all the way to the 2nd round, 26 spots after Terry Glenn.

I didn’t know about the league mandate (is that still the case today?), thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Its time for the white helmet to come back. That way we can wear reds.

Attachments

• 0cecbffaccb995222ad09286e7a2c0bd.jpg
    0cecbffaccb995222ad09286e7a2c0bd.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 32145
How odd is that taking a promo photo then changing the uniforms?

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Just like Tom Brady. He's hideous. Cam or anybody else is a HUGE improvement on him.
What the holy flaming buttery hell are you talking about. There's strawman arguments and then there's what-the-****ooo. This is what-the-****oo

It's amazing Bob didn't realize Tom/Patriots wearing "Pat Patriot"/"Flying Elvis" throwbacks more often would earn him some extra bucks. They'd be flying off of the shelves.

It's a shame they never wore these once in the last 21 years:

2C3jWn7ufhLIKgJbJ7ZFO5IO7ry9TOw_2TqmdtPwO-g.jpg
If only the shoulder logos were bigger...

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back