PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still No # 1WR

I have a strange feeling that defenses will sleep on Harry and with a better qb and better passer he might take off.

I am silently optimistic. It's a well rounded team.

For all we know, cam could morph into MVP cam as everyone is doubting him and has this huge chip on his shoulder..

giphy.webp

Why would Harry be active, never mind getting significant reps?

We have 2-3 of Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith out there on almost every play. Our next off the bench is Myers. We have White (or another RB) on passing downs. That's 6 targets. That doesn't count an receiving chances for other RB's, FB, or 3rd TE.

Our punt returner will be active as our emergency receiver.

I don't think that Harry would be active unless he moves ahead of Myers on the depth chart.
He probably won't get a lot of snaps, but he's a better blocker than the others, I expect. Also, I know it's a long shot, but watch his college tape - if he finds any confidence or just says "screw it" and plays like that, he's way more physically talented than Meyers or Bourne.

I just want him to get pissed and show it.

I'm assuming we'll have 2 TE in most of our packages this year, that means there is only 3 spots for skill positions left. With a RB begin one of them, having Meyers and Agholor as starter seems really good to me.

Yes this. It is really the point. Meyers and Agholor would be 1 on 1. Agholor has 4.4 speed and Jacoby gets open.

Belichick never believed in a true #1 WR. When Brady was suspended for four games, Belichick didn't get a true #1 receiver to make Garoppolo's job easier.
Did you really just say that? You think he would make a trade for 4 games?

Reportedly, not sure if true. He traded for Cooks thinking he would pair him with Jimmy G. The sooner we realize that we will never have a an as good as TB12 the better. Mac isn’t going to be a franchise an. Probably, just a good one who needs a good supporting cast. Meyers/Bourne seem more like good 3/4’s. Not a 1 or 2

Why do we need a #1 WR? Who would even throw to him?

Why would Harry be active, never mind getting significant reps?

We have 2-3 of Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith out there on almost every play. Our next off the bench is Myers. We have White (or another RB) on passing downs. That's 6 targets. That doesn't count an receiving chances for other RB's, FB, or 3rd TE.

Our punt returner will be active as our emergency receiver.

I don't think that Harry would be active unless he moves ahead of Myers on the depth chart.
Patriots are going to run the ball a lot. Harry can block, we will see a lot of Nelson, Harry, and 2 TEs.

Play action will kill defenses.

Weeks 1-4 in Tampa, with a WR1/WR2 duo, and available WR3-WR4. Note the snap count percentages.

Gronk

1619992730143.png

Howard

1619992815149.png

Brate

1619992852244.png

Patriots are going to run the ball a lot. Harry can block, we will see a lot of Nelson, Harry, and 2 TEs.

Play action will kill defenses.
Which WR will be inactive?

You can’t do everything thing in one off-season. If we are lucky they are back to serious contender status by 2022, but you have to build the foundation first, and add the specialties later. Had they traded for Garrapolo then more of a premium on a big time WR would have been called for, but if Jones is the future then we are really looking at 2022 and beyond, so lay the foundation and then add the playmakers.

Can’t tell if this was intended as a semi-clever troll job with the way OP dropped this absolute stinker and then seemingly ran for the hills, never to return.

Can’t tell if this was intended as a semi-clever troll job with the way OP dropped this absolute stinker and then seemingly ran for the hills, never to return.
Yeah I don’t get why OP’s post something and then disappear.

I doubt they get a #1, but they could upgrade the competition/depth.

How much would it take to get Golden Tate now?

Does he have anything left?

We have now gone through free agency and the draft and surprisingly we still do not have anything close to a # 1 receiver on the team. High concern as there is no deep threat or a player that can "take the top" off the defense.
Its not Agholor, Bourne or Jakoby Myers that is for sure. Edelman's retirement has made this even more of a huge hole.
Now all that is left is for the June first other teams' castoffs to choose from. I think this was a big oversight and will limit how effective Cam can be and also the TE's ceilings.

Teams will be able to stack the middle and cover the seams and center of the field on short and intermediate roots.
I think more capital should have been spent on this in the draft.

The other teams in the AFC East have spent mightily on this over past 2 years

1. Bills- Stefan Diggs
2. Dolphins Jaylon Waddle
3. Jets- Corey Davis and Elijah Moore.

I still believe the pats offense will be somewhat anemic this year. Hopefully the defense, will cover for offense shortcomings.
Looks like addressing WR1 will have to wait until 2022.
Jacoby Myers has 1000 yard receiver potential. He put up 729 yards not starting a lot of games. Having him, Aghalor, Bourne and two very good tight ends along with an awesome run game is going to mean a top 10 offense next year

I don’t think they necessarily need an outside field stretching razzle dazzle receiver, but I do think they need some kind of stud receiver/tight end. A guy who will demand double teams and is the #1 target. On paper (so not always reality) I don’t see that guy. Look at what the addition of Moss did, the spits with/without Gronk, the downgrade in 2006 without Branch, etc. Every team needs at least one very good/elite skill player to provide a domino effect making the role players more effective.

The Patriots were absolutely reliant on Gronk and Edelman when it mattered, so the general disdain here is surprising to me. Teams in the final four last year had: Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, Chris Godwin, Rob Gronkowski, Stefon Diggs, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce.

Last edited:
who will demand double teams and is the #1 target.
Why do you want the QB to throw to a guy that's double covered (the #1 target)?

Didn't we see enough bonehead QB decisions last year when #2 and #3 guys were running wide open and the QB either threw it 1000mph over their head, into the ground, or behind them (because the stud receiver assuredly fixes that)? We definitely don't need them also throwing into double coverage just so we can say the Patriots have a "#1" receiver.

Why do you want the QB to throw to a guy that's double covered (the #1 target)?

Didn't we see enough bonehead QB decisions last year when #2 and #3 guys were running wide open and the QB either threw it 1000mph over their head, into the ground, or behind them (because the stud receiver assuredly fixes that)? We definitely don't need them also throwing into double coverage just so we can say the Patriots have a "#1" receiver.

Are you serious?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back