PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers offense double standard.

Pickett had his first two TD game yesterday of his NFL career. Pickens and Austin were on the team last year and it didn't help Pickett to get two TDs in a game. And this year, the Steelers' offense scored 7 points vs. the 49ers and 12 points vs. the Browns. The Steeler defense scored more TDs (2) in the first two weeks than the Steeler offense (1). So I will take Mac and his receivers.
I think Calvin Austin was Redshirted his rookie year.
Avoid The Office GIF

Avoid The Office GIF

Ok. I didn't watch many Steelers games last year. But again, the Steeler offense has been worse than the Patriots and Pickett has been worse than Mac by virtually every measure this year. And the Pats have yet to play a defense as bad as the Raiders.

Ok. I didn't watch many Steelers games last year. But again, the Steeler offense has been worse than the Patriots and Pickett has been worse than Mac by virtually every measure this year. And the Pats have yet to play a defense as bad as the Raiders.
1) I couldn't resist feeling that Pickens should have been our pick. 2) We'll get our chance against McDaniels again and BB might continue his losing streak against him.

1) I couldn't resist feeling that Pickens should have been our pick. 2) We'll get our chance against McDaniels again and BB might continue his losing streak against him.

Whether or not Pickens should have been selected by the Patriots or not, he isn't helping Pickett become a good QB or better than Mac. At least not yet.

Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

Our offense has a rocky, up and down game: media pans it as a terrible, dysfunctional offense. Takes shots at it at every opportunity possible. Mac is considered trash any moment he makes a bad mistake.

Steelers offense has a rocky, up and down game: media absolutely fawns over every time they actually finish a drive. Offense gets considered "gritty, blue collar" for scoring 5 FG's. Kenny Pickett is praised for making one nice throw, even if he spent the entire game beforehand playing like garbage.

Maybe this isn't worth a thread, but idk. It seems like it's something I've noticed for a while now. Feels like two very similarly performing offenses that get treated very differently.
No it doesn’t bother me at all.

However up until last night the Steelers offense has been getting crucified by their fans and local media in Pittsburgh.

The Patriots offense has scored 20, 17, and 13 points. Glass houses.
Fans should worry about the Pats offense getting their house in order before whining that Pittsburgh is getting soft media treatment. Be upset that Mac Jones is a better quarterback than Pickett, yet Pickett has George Pickens and Calvin Austin and Jones has....Jones has.....Jones has....JuJu Smith Sanu and Kendrick Bourne. Don't be angry with the media, be angry with the talent on the Patriots.

It's the American way. Build them up so you can tear them down. Now the Pats are down, so it's their turn to get chit on.
In general, you're correct. However, the Steelers NEVER get torn down.

They had to clean up the booth last night after Collinsworth jerked for joy while talking about the Steelers....
Collinsworth doesn't really try to hide his politics. If he sees a minority coach or QB he pulls out the book of endless praise, replacing all comas and periods with the word "wao" instead. He's admitted as much on live broadcasts.

Not taking a stance one way or the other, but this is necessary context when evaluating anything Collinsworth says about players and coaches.

Avoid The Office GIF
Wasn’t redshirted. He was legit injured. That ***** Liz Frank ****ed his foot all up.

Ok. I didn't watch many Steelers games last year. But again, the Steeler offense has been worse than the Patriots and Pickett has been worse than Mac by virtually every measure this year.
Pickett was drafted last year,

Why should he be compared to your hero? Cant Steelers fans blame the OC for a year first? You did.
And the Pats have yet to play a defense as bad as the Raiders.
And the Pats have yet to play a defense like the 49ers.

This is probably the big distinction here. Local media watches one team, week in and week out. They see all the warts, AND have to drum up things to talk about every day about one team. National media is focused on highlights from all 32 teams (obviously skewed towards the better ones more), and thus lean towards more positive headlines. The more interesting comparison would be comparing local Boston sports radio to local Pittsburgh sports radio and see if the narratives are all that different.

Just stop. You are being too rational.

Not acceptable in these parts.

I was thinking the SAME EXACT THING this morning. Saw some BS article about how good pitt is and how they're on their way up blah blah blah...ridiculous...

Teams like the Steelers and Cowboys have a big nationwide following. The Pats do not.
Oh plenty of people follow every bit of news about the Pats. Negative news. It’s a whole way of life

Pickett was drafted last year,

Why should he be compared to your hero? Cant Steelers fans blame the OC for a year first? You did.

And the Pats have yet to play a defense like the 49ers.

Matt Canada is not a very good OC, but he has been an OC since 1997. Sure most of his experience was at the college level, but at least he knows how to call an offense.

Matt Canada is not a very good OC, but he has been an OC since 1997. Sure most of his experience was at the college level, but at least he knows how to call an offense.
even good collage coaches are sometimes very bad nfl coaches

The Steelers played the Raiders in perfect weather (inside a dome) and the Patriots played the Jets in horrible weather (heavy rain and winds). Average is better than terrible, but you do need to classify them a bit. Based on Kenny Pickett's history, I ain't betting he could do better than Mac against the Jets in the rain and wind.
The Steelers offense against the Jets, in New York, in heavy rain, would be awful TV.

even good collage coaches are sometimes very bad nfl coaches

Sure, but they are rarely remotely as bad as a defensive coordinator being a rookie offensive coordinator.

The Steelers offense against the Jets, in New York, in heavy rain, would be awful TV.
Watching T.J Watt feast like Judon wouldn't be awful. Steelers are on the Patriots menu this year.

Standard NFL national media routine: ballwash the Steelers and Packers at every opportunity, been that way since Chuck Noll and Lombardi. It’s a Baby Boomer thing, apparently one of the few things that the next generations have bought into from us old farts.

Pickett is at the mediocre Mac level, a little better playmaking and a little worse accuracy. You can do worse than him but he will not be putting any club on his shoulders and carrying them to a championship.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back