PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers offense double standard.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

Our offense has a rocky, up and down game: media pans it as a terrible, dysfunctional offense. Takes shots at it at every opportunity possible. Mac is considered trash any moment he makes a bad mistake.

Steelers offense has a rocky, up and down game: media absolutely fawns over every time they actually finish a drive. Offense gets considered "gritty, blue collar" for scoring 5 FG's. Kenny Pickett is praised for making one nice throw, even if he spent the entire game beforehand playing like garbage.

Maybe this isn't worth a thread, but idk. It seems like it's something I've noticed for a while now. Feels like two very similarly performing offenses that get treated very differently.

Our offense has a rocky, up and down game: media pans it as a terrible, dysfunctional offense. Takes shots at it at every opportunity possible. Mac is considered trash any moment he makes a bad mistake.

Steelers offense has a rocky, up and down game: media absolutely fawns over every time they actually finish a drive. Offense gets considered "gritty, blue collar" for scoring 5 FG's. Kenny Pickett is praised for making one nice throw, even if he spent the entire game beforehand playing like garbage.

Maybe this isn't worth a thread, but idk. It seems like it's something I've noticed for a while now. Feels like two very similarly performing offenses that get treated very differently.
It's the American way. Build them up so you can tear them down. Now the Pats are down, so it's their turn to get chit on.

Are you comparing local Boston media to national media?

Teams like the Steelers and Cowboys have a big nationwide following. The Pats do not.

The league has changed. Steelers have that big play guy in Pickens and Picket can throw the long ball when he needs to. Something that Mac still needs to work on. Even though he did just that with the receiver nobody knew was on the team....

Did you see the Steelers 2nd half stats from the MNF game versus the Browns? Awful. Media loves the Steelers and their coach though. I agree with you.
3rdPOSSPLAYSYDSRESULT
15:00PIT 253:13944FG
10:01PIT 252:31527Punt
3:59PIT 202:48539Punt
4thPOSSPLAYSYDSRESULT
10:35PIT 441:343-11Punt
4:37PIT 251:4236Punt
1:00501:002-2Game

Are you comparing local Boston media to national media?

This is probably the big distinction here. Local media watches one team, week in and week out. They see all the warts, AND have to drum up things to talk about every day about one team. National media is focused on highlights from all 32 teams (obviously skewed towards the better ones more), and thus lean towards more positive headlines. The more interesting comparison would be comparing local Boston sports radio to local Pittsburgh sports radio and see if the narratives are all that different.

I've seen the Steelers get criticized plenty prior to last night's game. I believe Tirico even said they were mediocre when they opened the game.

Last night was a historic moment. Kenny Pickett had his first two TD pass game of his NFL career. It only took three games into his second season. Yet, many people, including people on this board (at least in the preseason), think Pickett is better than Mac Jones based on two comeback wins where the Steelers scored 16 and 13 total points.

The Steelers offense scored 23 points. That's basically a league average offensive performance.

The Patriots offense scored 13 points. That's terrible.

I don't understand why it needs explaining why average is better than terrible?

The Steelers played the Raiders in perfect weather (inside a dome) and the Patriots played the Jets in horrible weather (heavy rain and winds). Average is better than terrible, but you do need to classify them a bit. Based on Kenny Pickett's history, I ain't betting he could do better than Mac against the Jets in the rain and wind.

I think you mean the Boston media trashes jones

The Steelers played the Raiders in perfect weather (inside a dome) and the Patriots played the Jets in horrible weather (heavy rain and winds). Average is better than terrible, but you do need to classify them a bit. Based on Kenny Pickett's history, I ain't betting he could do better than Mac against the Jets in the rain and wind.
I'll take take Pickett bet with his WR's who are far superior to ours.

If you prefer then.

The Patriots offense put up 3 more points than Zach Wilson, a QB who can barely complete 55% of his passes(in a good year).

Is this thread about the media (national and/or local) OR this message board???

I'll take take Pickett bet with his WR's who are far superior to ours.

Pickett had his first two TD game yesterday of his NFL career. Pickens and Austin were on the team last year and it didn't help Pickett to get two TDs in a game. And this year, the Steelers' offense scored 7 points vs. the 49ers and 12 points vs. the Browns. The Steeler defense scored more TDs (2) in the first two weeks than the Steeler offense (1). So I will take Mac and his receivers.

If you prefer then.

The Patriots offense put up 3 more points than Zach Wilson, a QB who can barely complete 55% of his passes(in a good year).

I don't know if the Steelers offense could score 13 points against the Jets in perfect weather. Again, it was 7 points vs. the 49ers and 12 points vs. the Browns.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back