PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steeler RB Le'Veon Bell reportedly to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think carving out provisions by position would really be in the players overall best interest. They need to work towards more/all guaranteed money (like MLB and NBA) not worry about a currently slightly devalued position group.

It’s cyclical, teams will value different things at different times. It’s also not like he was blacklisted, he left a lot of money on the table and bet on himself and the situation to work out for him. He still got paid, but he didn’t have all the options he imagined. If the players want to go after something in the CBA with respect to this situation it should be more guaranteed money as a general principle of contracts, and the franchise tag.

Makes sense, and sure I think it's a bit strange to address certain positions in the CBA, but I'm not sure how else to address the issue.

RB careers are much shorter. Realistically they're looking at one big deal if they're lucky.

Say your average RB enters the league at 22. They're not hitting free agency until 26 or 27 after the rookie deal. And we all know 30 is that magic number for RBs. Whereas linemen can play well into their 30s. QBs are playing well into their 40s now.

So while franching a non-RB after their rookie deal may not be ideal for any player, he still has the ability to sign a longterm deal (or 2 or 3) eventually. A RB who gets franchised though, is being hurt dramatically more. Because that franchise year or two is coming away from what is likely the only long deal they'll ever get.

I think Darnold sucks and will not improve much, which is where I differ from the general opinion. You can’t fix accuracy problems, and he isn’t good at reading defenses.
Yeah, it's interesting how the media pundits assume he'll live up to franchise QB billing. Fingers crossed he'll be another Sanchez.

Makes sense, and sure I think it's a bit strange to address certain positions in the CBA, but I'm not sure how else to address the issue.

RB careers are much shorter. Realistically they're looking at one big deal if they're lucky.

Say your average RB enters the league at 22. They're not hitting free agency until 26 or 27 after the rookie deal. And we all know 30 is that magic number for RBs. Whereas linemen can play well into their 30s. QBs are playing well into their 40s now.

So while franching a non-RB after their rookie deal may not be ideal for any player, he still has the ability to sign a longterm deal (or 2 or 3) eventually. A RB who gets franchised though, is being hurt dramatically more. Because that franchise year or two is coming away from what is likely the only long deal they'll ever get.
This is goofy. PLENTY of running backs thrive past their rookie deals and the position is comparable to most others in terms of longevity -- WR, CB, LB ... The only obvious exceptions are QB, OL and kickers.

This is goofy. PLENTY of running backs thrive past their rookie deals and the position is comparable to most others in terms of longevity -- WR, CB, LB ... The only obvious exceptions are QB, OL and kickers.

RB is different. Especially one like Bell (bell cow) who is getting abused game in and game out.

RB is different. Especially one like Bell (bell cow) who is getting abused game in and game out.
I thought Belch's calling card was his ability to AVOID punishment. But you know a lot about abuse, so ...

Eh I think darnold can build off his rookie year. Bad line. Got that valuable experience. I don’t like judging until after year 3

3 seems like the fair number, though the last 5ish years QBs that end up being any good usually have success pretty fast now.

There are currently 11* starting quarterbacks who came from the 2012-2017 draft class.

8 out of 11 led their team to the playoffs their first or second year starting.

Andrew Luck
Carson Wentz
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Patrick Mahomes
Nick Foles
Russel Wilson
Jared Goff

The three who haven't

-Derek Carr (On the brink of team possibly getting rid of)
-Jameis Winston (On the brink of team possibly getting rid of)
-Marcus Mariota (On the brink of team possibly getting rid of)

And the rest are no longer starting quarterbacks/out of the league.

*Didn't factor in Jimmy G since he's yet to start a full season

Aw c'mon. You're more creative than that. "Belch" is weak.
No, it's appropriate. He got fat feeding his face during a full year off. Buuuurrrrrrp!

RB careers are not much shorter. The average career length of an RB is 2.6 years. A WR is 2.8 and a CB 2.9.

RB careers are not much shorter. The average career length of an RB is 2.6 years. A WR is 2.8 and a CB 2.9.

Average of those who make it to get a second contract obviously.

Average of those who make it to get a second contract obviously.

If they are making it to a second contract that obliterates your initial argument.

If they are making it to a second contract that obliterates your initial argument.

Oh boy...

Ok, easier to say we don't agree. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back