PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stashing A Player On The Practice Squad? What Does This Mean To You?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
After listening to this idea for many years, I still don't understand what it means to "stash a player on the Practice Squad".

After listening to this idea for many years, I still don't understand what it means to "stash a player on the Practice Squad".

It really makes no sense since practice squad players can be claimed by any team at any time.

A vested veteran does not have to go through waivers, and can be stashed on the practice squad until game day.

It does make sense because if the player knows they are being promoted on game day there is no reason to leave the team, unless there's a crazy offer for his services.

This way your young players do not need to go through waivers.

A vested veteran does not have to go through waivers, and can be stashed on the practice squad until game day.

It does make sense because if the player knows they are being promoted on game day there is no reason to leave the team, unless there's a crazy offer for his services.

But anyone on the practice squad can be claimed by another team to its 53, correct? That's my understanding.

But anyone on the practice squad can be claimed by another team to its 53, correct? That's my understanding.

The word "claimed" is incorrect. Any player may be offered a contract, but it is the player's decision whether they accept.

A player with less than 4 years experience may be claimed on waivers when cut. Once they sign with the practice squad, they can go wherever they wish.

Please clarify a bit.

Say we cut a veteran the day before the 53 man roster is set, with the attention of putting him on the roster on Game Day.

My understanding is that
1) His current contract is torn up.
2) The player is a free agent, free to sign with any team. He would then, as a veteran, be guaranteed a full year of salary on his new contract.
3) Should the player choose to sign on to the patriots PS, then the patriots can protect him for a few days before Game Day, and then another can sign him the next day,

Yes, a player can have a wink-wink side agreement (with no contractual force) to sign a contract with the patriots in a week, after waiving his contractual right to guarantee his year's salary.

The word "claimed" is incorrect. Any player may be offered a contract, but it is the player's decision whether they accept.
Sure, a player can decide not to sign a contract of say $900K in order to play for the patriots for $8K a week.

Sure, a player can decide not to sign a contract of say $900K in order to play for the patriots for $8K a week.

They did this last year with Hoyer and Folk.

Certainly they could have had jobs.

They did this last year with Hoyer and Folk.

Certainly they could have had jobs.
not certain at all

If they were not on the 53, that means that no team was willing to give them a contract with a cap cost of vet minimum for a year.

The minimum that a player receives is 3 weeks pay when a team signs a player off our Practice Squad. Say the vet min is $800K a week. $150K for 3 games seems better than signing for $8K in the hope that patriots will sign the player to a contract. After 3 games, if he is cut, the player can look to sign somewhere again, or to a PS.

not certain at all

Ok that's fair. So sometimes you lose the player, like the year they lost Bolden.

I think they smartened up last year and now discuss it with the player upfront. That's why Hoyer got the big guarantee. He had enough of this game.

A player with less than 4 years experience may be claimed on waivers when cut. Once they sign with the practice squad, they can go wherever they wish.

I'm not sure about that. Again, my understanding is ANY player of practice squad status can be claimed by another team and is compelled to report IF he is immediately placed on the claiming team's active roster.

I'm not sure about that. Again, my understanding is ANY player of practice squad status can be claimed by another team and is compelled to report IF he is immediately placed on the claiming team's active roster.

That may be right, but there's no evidence that Martin Simons knows more about this than anyone posting here.

Next to nothing.

You are posting 4 year old quora posts as if they were fact? Wow.

Please clarify a bit.

Say we cut a veteran the day before the 53 man roster is set, with the attention of putting him on the roster on Game Day.

My understanding is that
1) His current contract is torn up.
2) The player is a free agent, free to sign with any team. He would then, as a veteran, be guaranteed a full year of salary on his new contract.
3) Should the player choose to sign on to the patriots PS, then the patriots can protect him for a few days before Game Day, and then another can sign him the next day,

Yes, a player can have a wink-wink side agreement (with no contractual force) to sign a contract with the patriots in a week, after waiving his contractual right to guarantee his year's salary.
And if you did this after 3 weeks of being called up you either can’t use him any more so you would release him or you have to cut the player you didn’t want to be on the field that you created all this drama to keep err not keep.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back