PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spygate Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a joke this guy is. I found a radio interview he did trying to pimp his book where the host makes him look like a complete fool.

Author of 'Spygate the Untold Story', Bryan O'Leary joins the show by SportsRadio 560 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Host: "So, do you have any inside sources, or groundbreaking evidence that you used for this book?"

O'Leary: "Well, no... but what I did was look up every article I could find on the Internet, then print them out and lay them out on my bed." (seriously, he actually said this).

Host: "But didn't the Patriots, like, win a ton of games after they got caught for cheating?"

O'Leary: "Well yeah, that's a good point ... but it's just too much of an anomaly that they won so many games at home."

Host:"But didn't they also win all of their games on the road that year as well?"

O'Leary: "Well yeah, that's a good point... but, but... I did a lot of original statistical analysis, and there's just no way a team could be that good in today's NFL.'

Host: "But sometimes in sports, can't you find examples of teams or athletes who were anomalies simply because they were great? Isn't that possible?"

O'Leary: "Well yeah, that's a good point ... and I never said the Patriots weren't a great team, but... ah..."

I only sampled about 5 minutes of the interview and that was the gist of it. Hilarious. There are probably several hundred mouth-breathers on JI or Gang Green who could give you the same "expert analysis." :rolleyes:

Probably shouldn't hold your breath on a Halberstam Spygate novel, with him being dead and all.

It did seem that Halberstam's production had dipped a little in recent years. I guess being deceased is a pretty solid excuse. But if he does come out with a Spygate book, I bet it will be better than Bryan O'Leary's.

Last edited:
Author and Pats haters taking umbrage at my posting on Amazon book review

It's pretty funny that it's called Spygate: The Untold Story when all the guy did was compile stuff he printed out from the internet.

There's a good book to be written on Spygate. It follows the witchhunt and exposes what a load of bullcrap the whole thing is. The problem is no one outside of New England wants to hear it. Reason and logic doesn't sell.

I've heard about 4 or 5 interviews the author's done. Painful to listen to, as it's one conspiracy theory stacked up on top of another. He twists every possible obstacle to his agenda.

Pats with better win percentage post-Spygate than pre?
"Well, maybe they're still cheating."

What about Walsh acknowledging he never gave up the tapes until the end of the games?
"Well, maybe the NFL got to him."

If there's anything that doesn't jibe with his agenda, he'll claim it's part of the NFL cover-up. e.g.: It obviously was a serious offense because Goodell gave them such a harsh punishment, but Goodell covered it up by destroying the tapes because he's in Robert Kraft's pocket. If he were in Robert Kraft's pocket, wouldn't he have just not punished them at all (i.e. like he did with the Jets tripping incident, letting the Jets handle that in-house)?

I heard him today claim Brady left $30 million on the table in 2005 contract talks with the Patriots because he knew Spygate was the reason the Patriots won. The host came back with, "Well, couldn't he then use Spygate as blackmail? Give me my money or I'll tell all?"
"Oh no," O'Leary said, "Then he'd be exposing himself as well."

Everything's got a convenient little spin.

I think the guy sounds a lot like that NFL_Truth troll that was on these boards some time ago. At least it looks like they're pulling conspiracy theories from the same sites.

BTW, another thing I thought I heard him say was he was at the 2002 AFC Championship Game, and that he and the fans sitting near him all thought something was fishy. Right, because the Patriots were obviously stealing the Steelers' special teams signals. Anyway, disgruntled Steeler fan sounds about right.

Last edited:
In terms of Brady's stats they don't support the writers main argument.

For ex last year, Brady had 2,695 yds, 65.2 comp%, 8.92 avg, 23 TD's, 6 Ints, 110.7 rating and only sacked 9 times on the road. At home: 2,540 yds, 66 comp %, 8.22 avg, 16 TD's, 6 Ints, 100.5 rating and sacked 23 times.

Not including 2000 & 2008 here are Brady's career stats home/away.

Home:
19,348 yds
140 TD's
42 Ints
150 sacks

Away:
20,624 yds
168 TD's
75 Ints
126 sacks

Last edited:
I find it it fascinating that a person feels so strongly about this situation that he has to write a 270 page book on the subject. Sadly, he's the second person to do this and, according to some Jets fan, there's a third book on the way (That could just be delusional Jet fan talk, though).

I noticed something interesting while looking at the Amazon page for this book: Every positive review is 5 stars. No one gave it 3 or 4 stars and said something like "I think the author's conclusions are spot on, but he's not a professional writer and it detracts from the book at some points."

Then I looked at the reviewers. Of the (currently) 8 positive reviewers, only 2 reviewed anything else on Amazon and only one of those was another book review. The other product was some sort of water bottle. Maybe 1 or 2 of the positive reviews are legitimate, but it looks like the author's friends and family make up a high majority of them. Even Shakespeare gets 3 and 4 star reviews.

One point illustrates this: You can read an excerpt of the first few pages of the book on that site. On the very first page, the author states that Mangini received the nickname "Mangenius" while coaching for the Patriots. It's a nitpicking type of error, but it's still an error. And if the author is that sloppy with the facts on page 1, then there are bound to be a few more over the next 269 pages. Yet all the positive reviewers ignore this and slap a 5 star review on it.

Anyway, the great irony of the whole book is that the author claims there was very little media coverage about "camera location-gate" and he's the only person willing to investigate this story and find out what really happened. Then he turns around and states that his arguments are based on on articles and interviews he found on the internet. If there was a NFL-initiated coverup and the media ignored this story, then how did he locate his source material? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes