PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Illustrated Layoffs

IMO, SI is dying because people like me (voracious consumer of information with the means to buy as many magazines as I want) have not bought a magazine in at least five years because WHY WOULD I, and SI did not adjust to the times. Same is/will happen to Rolling Stone.

It's a bummer. I loved getting SIs on Thursdays when I was in junior high.

Long form is tough to read online. I enjoyed it when I had a magazine sitting on my lap, the newspaper, etc. Maybe it's because I get more eye fatigue from a screen then reading a physical page. Although, at the same time, my eyes are starting to suck there as well, so it's all bad. #GetOffMyLawn
I like getting snippets of articles and then diving into the complete article if it piques my interest. The Athletic does a great job of that.

I like getting snippets of articles and then diving into the complete article if it piques my interest. The Athletic does a great job of that.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely read it and I do enjoy that style (long-form). I'm just old school enough where I miss reading it in magazine form. Although, as I said, it's been a while since I've sat down and read one, and my eyes are beginning to fail me, so who knows if I'd still enjoy it as much. :cool:

Long form is tough to read online. I enjoyed it when I had a magazine sitting on my lap, the newspaper, etc. Maybe it's because I get more eye fatigue from a screen then reading a physical page. Although, at the same time, my eyes are starting to suck there as well, so it's all bad. #GetOffMyLawn
I'm fully on your lawn. Reading a good book, the paper kind, leaves us in a suspended state of low self awareness beyond what's happening in the book. It is designed to maintain singular focus. Magazines and newspapers have some of that, but then there's always something else in the mag or paper to draw attention away. On line is designed to do just the opposite, get us jumping around. So there's fatigue built in to the system, as well as a lack of meaningful reflection being drawn out.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
Putting fatties and transsexuals on their cover was the sign that the ship was going under. Same thing with society as well

Don't get me wrong, I definitely read it and I do enjoy that style (long-form). I'm just old school enough where I miss reading it in magazine form. Although, as I said, it's been a while since I've sat down and read one, and my eyes are beginning to fail me, so who knows if I'd still enjoy it as much. :cool:
My eyes are a little older than yours and I know exactly what you mean.

Putting fatties and transsexuals on their cover was the sign that the ship was going under. Same thing with society as well
There's actually far more behind the scenes with that platform that led to its downfall. I won't get into it because it's too lengthy, but it goes way beyond politics. I already mentioned the guy who played a key role in how it started, so I'm not shocked they're at this point.

The politics may or may not have sped it up, but that ship was on the fast track to the ocean floor long before any of that, just like with all magazines.

Your articles here are a great read ... quick and to the point ... I enjoy them.

I don't find screens fatiguing. I read long-form digital stuff all the time. I use digital content almost exclusively. I think you will find as the years go by that being able to make the letters bigger is a big, big win. I like to read books, but get sick of holding them. I find the laptop to be my go-to reading device. I had a couple of Kindle devices and other tablets over the years but always go back to the big-old laptop.

There is one paper book I started reading a decade or so. It was a biography of someone I find very interesting, written seventy years or so ago. The book uses a really small font. The only way I could read it was with a headset with magnification that I use for detailed electronics work, and that was not enjoyable. I never finished the book. It still sits on the bookshelf. It might have been the last book I'll ever try to read in paper form. Unfortunately I've never found that book in digital format. Oh well, some things just never make it into digital format.

I've got hundreds of paper books around the house, They're mainly here for nostalgia's sake, and for conversation pieces. Next time I move 99% of them will be donated, if I can find anyone who still wants paper books. Who knows, they make a comeback just like vinyl did.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
I don't find screens fatiguing. I read long-form digital stuff all the time. I use digital content almost exclusively. I think you will find as the years go by that being able to make the letters bigger is a big, big win. I like to read books, but get sick of holding them. I find the laptop to be my go-to reading device. I had a couple of Kindle devices and other tablets over the years but always go back to the big-old laptop.

There is one paper book I started reading a decade or so. It was a biography of someone I find very interesting, written seventy years or so ago. The book uses a really small font. The only way I could read it was with a headset with magnification that I use for detailed electronics work, and that was not enjoyable. I never finished the book. It still sits on the bookshelf. It might have been the last book I'll ever try to read in paper form. Unfortunately I've never found that book in digital format. Oh well, some things just never make it into digital format.

I've got hundreds of paper books around the house, They're mainly here for nostalgia's sake, and for conversation pieces. Next time I move 99% of them will be donated, if I can find anyone who still wants paper books. Who knows, they make a comeback just like vinyl did.
LOL, funny you should say that - I just increased the font size on our site on the blog just for that reason. Easier to read both on a monitor but, more importantly, also on a phone. I did that a few days ago and already had one person message through the site and thank me for doing it. Clearly, I'm not the only person with this problem. :cool:

What SI Playoffs Layoffs!?
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3